Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Not quite off topic this but 96.56 is the magic number, sure most of you knew this but I just came across it. If you divide 96.56 by your minute pace per mile, you will get your pace in km per hour, thought that was pretty cool and handy for dreadmill users

e.g. If you run 8 min miles - 96.56 / 8 = 12.07 kph. Set the dreadmill to 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Not quite off topic this but 96.56 is the magic number, sure most of you knew this but I just came across it. If you divide 96.56 by your minute pace per mile, you will get your pace in km per hour, thought that was pretty cool and handy for dreadmill users

e.g. If you run 8 min miles - 96.56 / 8 = 12.07 kph. Set the dreadmill to 12.

The years I've wasted multiplying miles by 3/2 or dividing kms by 2/3...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

colblimp wrote: »
    Why's that, so you can have a 'welcoming committee' ready for us? :rolleyes::p

No half time cup of tea for you so. :)

shels4ever wrote: »
    Nice exposure for rovers there :) .

Will you be putting out your first team ;)

As we have so many games in July, it's likely that we will play the full squad of 22 during the 90 minutes. So will Madrid.
    By the way, we are also playing Newcastle United and Hibernian in friendlies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

As we have so many games in July, it's likely that we will play the full squad of 22 during the 90 minutes. So will Madrid.
    By the way, we are also playing Newcastle United and Hibernian in friendlies.
    Very very busy time for you then..Sometimes i wonder about all these games mid season..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

Hi Shels - there's plenty of Shelbourne references in the documentary I posted above if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

It's priorities though. Limerick FC were left with a cash shortfall of €70K after some friendlies fell through (in the knows are shouting conspiracy but thats another thread). That shortfall came very close to sinking the club. A couple of extra games (especially against prestige opposition) are good for morale, good for teh fans and very good for teh finances. Would you rather a tired team in a secure club or a fresh team in administration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

It's priorities though. Limerick FC were left with a cash shortfall of €70K after some friendlies fell through (in the knows are shouting conspiracy but thats another thread). That shortfall came very close to sinking the club. A couple of extra games (especially against prestige opposition) are good for morale, good for teh fans and very good for teh finances. Would you rather a tired team in a secure club or a fresh team in administration?
    Very true but it can come to the point where it will be about getting big name teams over and then putting out a second string team for league games, I know when shels place a few years ago agains man u , some so called fan's werent happy that shels put out a second strig side, because main focus was on the domestic league...If it doesnt take away from the league i'm all for it... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Copper Faced Jacks is NOT conducive to Marathon training. At least I don't think so, I haven't been out running yet today...
    tergat would not be happy :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I just had a cheese and Tayto sambo - forgot how tasty they were :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Oh that sounds yum!
    Just trying to decide what to have for lunch myself! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm hoping that a huge bowl of muesli, a banana and a litre of water will be enough to last me until I get home later...

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

We used to eat sauce sambos and sugar sambos when we were young. If you were lucky, you got the heel from the pan.

I think I'd eat just about anything! I'm in total muck savage mode today! I have a Tim Horton chocolate doughnut in the kitchen to have with my coffee later. :D:D:D

The seagull that was hanging around yesterday has taken up residency on the mat just inside the front door of our office. I'm thinking we're gonna call him buddy!

This is Buddy :D

• Advertisement

The seagull that was hanging around yesterday has taken up residency on the mat just inside the front door of our office. I'm thinking we're gonna call him buddy!

Alternative to the donut for lunch :D - roast segull, with baby potatoes on a bed of rocket lightly drizzled with olive oil :eek:

Alternative to the donut for lunch :D - roast segull, with baby potatoes on a bed of rocket lightly drizzled with olive oil :eek:

There are no words!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Don't worry - I'm a little giddy today - I'm on holidays for a week starting in 4hrs - but I've about a days work ahead of me :(

Ah feck the work. Stay giddy :D:D It's way more fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Oh that sounds yum!
    Just trying to decide what to have for lunch myself! :rolleyes:

I just ate some miles, booya!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Not trying to rub it in or anything but Im on my first day of 8 weeks of holidays today:D. Being a teacher rocks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Bally8 wrote: »
    Not trying to rub it in or anything but Im on my first day of 8 weeks of holidays today:D. Being a teacher rocks!!!

I'm just green reading that :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

im jealous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Bally8 wrote: »

even more jealous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

How hard/easy is it to drive a left hander on the highwas and byways of ireland?

Not a major problem - I had a couple of classic cars that were left hookers. You do need to be extra careful when overtaking but as long as you are smart and careful it's really not an issue.

I'm home! *dances*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Your young, Your home for the weekend - and your posting here on a Friday night instead of been out on the town?? Would'nt have happened in my time!! Of course the 'interweb' had'nt been invented in 'my time'!!:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm a dedicated athlete which is why I don't go out on Friday nights. :D

gerard65 wrote: »
    Your young, Your home for the weekend - and your posting here on a Friday night instead of been out on the town?? Would'nt have happened in my time!! Of course the 'interweb' had'nt been invented in 'my time'!!:eek:

Um, to make it worse I'm just back from 5 miles... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ultraman1 wrote: »
    How hard/easy is it to drive a left hander on the highwas and byways of ireland?
    Easier than entering a multi-storey car-park. You should invest in one of these:
    Reach-Extender-with-Magnetic-Tip-191919-PRODUCT-BIG_IMAGE.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

That reminds me....
    Took some relatives to the cliffs of moher on saturday.
    Dear god, did they think only bus drivers would be parking in the car parks?
    The ticket machine on the way...... I watch 5 cars of tourists stop and have to get out and stand up to put the ticket in..
    Nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Great day of sport yesterday on TV. I know it was a good day and all but

Limerick V Cork (great game. Hard luck Limerick, was never a penalty)
    Dublin V Kilkenny (great performance from the Dubs)
    Tennis final (got a bit bored in the last set)
    Tour de France (stage 2)

I'd say I wore the batteries of the remote out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

<rant> Back in work after a week's holiday... Not happy. </rant>

Private Practice on tonight and Michael Jackson's memorial is on tomorrow night on TV3 - looking forward to watching it :D:D
    Hope he gets a good send off.

Someone hold me back before I hop on a train back to Dublin.

Oh no..... What's happened???????? :(:(:(

Worst case of the Mondays ever. Kirby + 12 hour shift + finding out that at least one housemate is a religious nutbag = *sadkirbyface*

Oh god Religious nut bags are never good. especially living in the same house as you.
    Might be worth keeping an eye out for somewhere else??

• Advertisement

Well I'm moving out in 2 months anyway when my friend moves down... but trust me, it's going to be extremely difficult to get me back west after I go home this weekend. Right now I feel like I'd rather be on the dole in Dublin than doing anything here. I miss way too many people way too much, and work is making me *sadface*

:( Awe that sucks!!
    Stick with it though. It'll get better. Promise ;)

Galway is a rocking town, give it a chance and you will love it. Bad flatmates are a mare but it's not forever and there is so much going on in town over the summer - the races, the arts festival for example. And you have the best collection of pubs in teh country, endless live music venues...

It could be worse, you could be stuck in Limerick!

Galway is a rocking town, give it a chance and you will love it.
    Everyone keeps telling me that, but all I want to do is go home.

I agree with Amadeus
    I love love love Galway.
    Have an interview on Wednesday in Shannon but if that doesn't work out I'm thinking Galway in September :D:D
    Have friends and family up there so I feel right at home every time I go up there.

Have friends and family up there so I feel right at home every time I go up there.
    That's part of my problem right there, I've nobody west of Celbridge.

• Advertisement

What made you move to Galway?
    I'm sure you'll have no hassle making friends. Everyone in Galway's really friendly.

It was the first place that I could get a job. Really regretting going now, wish I'd hung around in Dublin for a bit longer. I didn't realise just how much blue I bleed until now...

Stick it out... trust me! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

It was the first place that I could get a job. Really regretting going now, wish I'd hung around in Dublin for a bit longer. I didn't realise just how much blue I bleed until now...
    Give it time. Starting a new job is always tough and having to move makes it tougher. I was about your age when I had to go to England on my own for work (was in IT too) and hated it for about 6 weeks and wanted to come home every day. But I soon got into it - made friends etc and had misgivings when I came home about two years later. Remember your getting very valuable experience in a time when its really tough out there, it will stand to you it time - trust me. Anything is better than wasting away on the dole - losing all that hard work you put in studying.
    Give it 2 months then see how you feel. And remember there's always someone here.

gerard65 wrote: »
    Give it time. Starting a new job is always tough and having to move makes it tougher. I was about your age when I had to go to England on my own for work (was in IT too) and hated it for about 6 weeks and wanted to come home every day. But I soon got into it - made friends etc and had misgivings when I came home about two years later. Remember your getting very valuable experience in a time when its really tough out there, it will stand to you it time - trust me. Anything is better than wasting away on the dole - losing all that hard work you put in studying.
    Give it 2 months then see how you feel. And remember there's always someone here.

My lease on this house is only 2 months...

Oddly enough, right now I'm having misgivings about the whole IT industry. I've never been hugely motivated by money, and pretty much anything I've seen is "just how many zeros can you either add to the company bottom line, or how many can you save?". I really don't want that to be the entire purpose of my life, I'd prefer to make a difference for people instead of profit... Unfortunately at 25 I should be past my idealistic stage!

• Advertisement
Advertisement