Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Have to catch it on RTE player just to laugh at the boss!

Edit: One of us should ring him next time he's on screen, see if he's left his phone on!

Thats the first thing i thought. Would be sick if his phone went off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Can I include the hill workout I did yesterday and today in the 1000 miles?

Monday
    Tuesday

OK, so I was sitting down for about 40% of the distance covered, but don't think that should count against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

robinph wrote: »
    Can I include the hill workout I did yesterday and today in the 1000 miles?

Monday
    Tuesday

OK, so I was sitting down for about 40% of the distance covered, but don't think that should count against me.
    You can only count uphill miles, when you are being self-propelled.
    Your mileage is relatively low today. Leave your laptop alone and get back out there before the lifts close (you bar-steward). How's the snow?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I was a bit rubbish today alright. I "injured " myself last night in the bar, at least it felt like I had done something nasty to myself onwaking up/ regaining consciousness. I do have a genuine hurty toe today though which really didn't want to spend long in the boot.

I'll try and get more miles covered tomorrow and plan on an easy night today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Thats the first thing i thought. Would be sick if his phone went off.

I love how it's us two messers that think of this! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The same kind of messers that get thrown out of pubs ;)

Strange conversation with the bar man in the hotel last night, somehow he ended up telling me about his grandfather who was in the SS, then shot himself before the Russians arrived and is considered a bit of a hero in his home town because he told the rest of his soldiers to all go and hide just before so they all lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

robinph wrote: »
    Strange conversation with the bar man in the hotel last night, somehow he ended up telling me about his grandfather who was in the SS, then shot himself before the Russians arrived and is considered a bit of a hero in his home town because he told the rest of his soldiers to all go and hide just before so they all lived.
    Wonder why he did not hide like everyone else instead of shooting himself?

mithril wrote: »
    Wonder why he did not hide like everyone else instead of shooting himself?

Wondered the same thing myself. I guess he must have been on their "list" so it was either shoot yourself or they will anyway as they know that your the one from that town.

I did get a few whiskeys for free out of the conversation though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

All the grown-ups in a room discussing Very Serious Matters, why-oh-why can't our gubberment/housing crisis/IMF/Golf, Pat, Golf is it? <insert rant>, and you two pranksters laughing and wondering what mischief to get up to...

Keep it up thinking of ways to make people smile, there may be hope for this country after all:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Those self service tills in Tesco do my head in. I have never used one without some sort of issue popping up and me getting delayed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Those self service tills in Tesco do my head in. I have never used one without some sort of issue popping up and me getting delayed!

I needed to be rescued by an old lady in Tesco, Ardkeen (Waterford) once - couldn't make head or tail of the thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

the ones with 3 extra staff floating around to key in special codes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Got offered a new job in a bigger (medium) sized accountancy firm this morning.

In my current job 6 and half years (small firm), i know its a good move but moving jobs is scary. Not looking forward to telling the boss later as he has always been brilliant to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

You're not alone.

I've got a masters degree and 15 years experience in IT but that's the one electronic item I can't get my head round!

You're not alone.

I've got a masters degree and 15 years experience in IT but that's the one electronic item I can't get my head round!

That's good. I thought I was just being a moron. To make matters worse I could have been done for shoplifting as it turns out I didn't scan 2 of the items properly. Oh well !

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Got offered a new job in a bigger (medium) sized accountancy firm this morning.

In my current job 6 and half years (small firm), i know its a good move but moving jobs is scary. Not looking forward to telling the boss later as he has always been brilliant to me.

Why not inform ur boss of the new job offer and hopefully he wont want 2 c u go and will offer u improved conditions..

liamo123 wrote: »
    Why not inform ur boss of the new job offer and hopefully he wont want 2 c u go and will offer u improved conditions..
    That is of course the plan but the problem is we arent busy and i dont like doing nothing, it makes the day go slow. Plus it would be nice to have a second job on my CV for the future.

On the other hand my current job is safe, slightly better paid than what im being offered, im well valued and get on with everyone, flexible hours, i can cycle in and out.

Head melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

That is of course the plan but the problem is we arent busy and i dont like doing nothing, it makes the day go slow. Plus it would be nice to have a second job on my CV for the future.

On the other hand my current job is safe, slightly better paid than what im being offered, im well valued and get on with everyone, flexible hours, i can cycle in and out.

Head melt.

Well best of luck whatever decision u make........

Head melt.
    If your current job is safe and better paid, perhaps you should sit down with your boss, mention the approach/job offer (perhaps on the basis that it was unsolicited) and use the opportunity to discuss your career path/opportunities within the firm.

It;s not really a good time to be changing jobs, unless you have clear-cut reasons.

• Advertisement

If your current job is safe and better paid, perhaps you should sit down with your boss, mention the approach/job offer (perhaps on the basis that it was unsolicited) and use the opportunity to discuss your career path/opportunities within the firm.

It;s not really a good time to be changing jobs, unless you have clear-cut reasons.
    Good advice KC, thanks. Sometimes you just have to take a chance and im young with no mortgage or loans so i thought now was the time. anyway my decision was made for me when my boss offered me a partnership which is above and beyond what i hoped for and pretty much a dream. obviously alot to be trashed out over next year or so but if it doesnt work out i can jump ship then.

Good advice KC, thanks. Sometimes you just have to take a chance and im young with no mortgage or loans so i thought now was the time. anyway my decision was made for me when my boss offered me a partnership which is above and beyond what i hoped for and pretty much a dream. obviously alot to be trashed out over next year or so but if it doesnt work out i can jump ship then.

That is fantastic. Congrats on both! Can I pat you on the head some day? I could use a rub of luck. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

That is fantastic. Congrats on both! Can I pat you on the head some day? I could use a rub of luck. :pac:

Can you reach?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

Late one night coming up to Christmas, not long after Tesco got the first self service tills, I was queuing with a basket at the Express checkout when a very helpful shop assistant motioned me over to one of those tills. It promptly died and when re-booted it wouldn't scan my goods. By this stage the queue at the express checkout had lengthened considerably, and deciding I didn't need the groceries that badly, I calmly placed my basket on the floor and walked out.

Not my finest moment.:D

Good advice KC, thanks. Sometimes you just have to take a chance and im young with no mortgage or loans so i thought now was the time.
    Don't get me wrong, there's never a bad time to hunt for a new job. It's just a less than ideal time to take a new job. :) Based on last in first out policies, re-negotiated employee packages (downwards), spiraling VHI costs, and less lucrative pension packages, even with a decent pay rise you may find that you may not be in a better position than your existing role.

But getting a job offer is a superb catalyst for change and a solid confidence builder. When you have a job offer, it affords you the opportunity to consider your career goals and progression and gives you negotiating power. You never know, it could also be that killer job opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, there's never a bad time to hunt for a new job. It's just a less than ideal time to take a new job. :) Based on last in first out policies, re-negotiated employee packages (downwards), spiraling VHI costs, and less lucrative pension packages, even with a decent pay rise you may find that you may not be in a better position than your existing role.

But getting a job offer is a superb catalyst for change and a solid confidence builder. When you have a job offer, it affords you the opportunity to consider your career goals and progression and gives you negotiating power. You never know, it could also be that killer job opportunity.

technical advice in the garmin thread, cooking advice in the dinner thread and now career advice here. Every house should have a Krusty :)

technical advice in the garmin thread, cooking advice in the dinner thread and now career advice here. Every house should have a Krusty :)
    Every household should have an over-opinionated a$$hole? They usually do. :)

Every household should have an over-opinionated a$$hole? They usually do. :)

They usually have 2 ;)

aero2k wrote: »
    Can you reach?:pac:

Luckily he's fairly little too, and I can jump! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

So a little while back, when I asked what I should change my username to, most suggested the spin doc or the poster formerly known as ulstudent. I tried to go with the later but alas, it was too long. So on a whim i picked my new username quickly. I hate it. I miss ULstudent. I am a changed man.

Advertisement