Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Someone else was at the "fitting" today who had been on a pump for a while and said that you don't actually set off the airports security usually. Just have to show them before you walk through I guess as otherwise they might spot cables poking out from under your top and get very concerned indeed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Mam always has a letter explaining the whole contraption, and she keeps the unit in her pocket - it's just like a little pager. Only problem she had at the start was getting rid of air bubbles - her blood sugar levels would go up, even though the insulin appeared to be going in. A few times clearing the line and all was good!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

For those that might be mildy more interested in what it's all about see here if your really bored.

I'll hopefully be along in a couple of weeks asking you all about fueling strategys for long runs as in theory I should eventually be able to program that thing to make me more normal and can finish with my current regime of downing a gel every 20 minutes just to stay upright. I do realise that accusing the frequenters of this forum of being normal is streching things a bit, but it's all realtive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Entrant swapping is this simple. Why can't Irish races do this...
    http://www.sheffieldmarathon.com/enter/switch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Done. Did my duty and voted. Even up to this morning I wasn't sure who to vote for, but I knew who I wasn't voting for. But I have a dread that it'll be the same circus with different clowns:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Entrant swapping is this simple. Why can't Irish races do this...
    http://www.sheffieldmarathon.com/enter/switch
    Edinburgh likewise, with another £10 to pay. Everybody wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Equal amounts of hyperbole in this RTE item today:)
    "The Flora Mini Marathon is the world's largest women's race with 780,000 runners taking part in 2010. It is scheduled to take place on 2 June this year"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Equal amounts of hyperbole in this RTE item today:)
    "The Flora Mini Marathon is the world's largest women's race with 780,000 runners taking part in 2010. It is scheduled to take place on 2 June this year"
    That's quite some number of runners. Does that number include men who dress up as women for the occasion, or would that number (if included) bring it up to the full million? Is this race for slower runners only, or can faster runners participate? Are race transfers allowed? I find the cost really prohibitive. Anyone know what % of the fee goes to charity?

Right, my work here is done...
    Regards,
    A troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You forgot, "can I wear my iPod during the race?" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Date is wrong too, it's actually the 6th of June. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sitting on the runway in Hyderabad, in 16hrs I'll be back with my babies.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Sitting on the runway in Hyderabad, in 16hrs I'll be back with my babies.

Nice flat 5 miler under 30 mins BB, you know you want to.

I'll stick the Garmin on when I go to the TK Max

Result: 3 page MDS article in the inflight rag.

I'll stick the Garmin on when I go to the TK Max

No need BB, we can help you from here, wonders of technology. What plane are you on? A 747? Cabin length: 57.64 m, two aisles, see how many loops you can run in 16 hrs, sure we'll work it out when you get back.

On yer marks...

Out with the camera taking some snaps at Bath half marathon today. Got taken by surprise on seeing a Sportsworld vest running towards me, not sure if I was quick enough to capture whoever it was though.

Then some girl was walking down the street in town afterwards handing out free books. A German couple beside me didn't know what was going on when offered the book and then I nearly missed out on getting my freebie. Some John Le Carre book I think I got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

robinph wrote: »
    Out with the camera taking some snaps at Bath half marathon today. Got taken by surprise on seeing a Sportsworld vest running towards me, not sure if I was quick enough to capture whoever it was though.

Then some girl was walking down the street in town afterwards handing out free books. A German couple beside me didn't know what was going on when offered the book and then I nearly missed out on getting my freebie. Some John Le Carre book I think I got.

Didnt see how Sean Connolly got on there he was running this but the results arent up anywhere?

Edit: Got them 64.38

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

ecoli wrote: »
    Didnt see how Sean Connolly got on there he was running this but the results arent up anywhere?

Edit: Got them 64.38

was looking for these results are they online?

Nipples

There was someone fairly high up in the field running with their nipple on as well, closely followed by a very fast banana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

'The only sound coming out of Old Trafford was that of a backside emitting a tiny squeak.' :pac:

Matt Dickinson, Times (GB)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Two things I learned this weekend...

1 - One coat paint isn't.

2 - A win over Man Utd is ALWAYS good :D

Digital version of Competitor magazine: http://www.competitor-digital.com/competitor/201103#pg1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

You're having a laugh, sending Van Persie off for that? Gimme a break, that is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

ya a bit mad alright. even if he did hear the whistle i think it was a bit harsh.

barca are decent enough tho. think i heard they has 788 passes whilst arsensal had 199. hard to see anyone beating them in fairness.

unless man get physical..........

They had loads more passes in the first leg too, and lost.
    Although retaining possession is great, you don't get any points for passing the ball three metres across the midfield, no matter how often you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

RayCun wrote: »
    Although retaining possession is great, you don't get any points for passing the ball three metres across the midfield, no matter how often you do it.
    Way too much was made out of arsenals first leg win - great spirit blah blah. They were played off the pitch for long parts, could have lost 4-0. Barca f'ed it away by taking off Villa and stupidly sitting back - pschololgy in fotball is huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

RayCun wrote: »

agreed. but when it results in more shots on goal (which it did) too and then more goals (which happened). was it 19 v 1 ? or something like that. then it results in points as it did.

as a man u fan, i'm delighted that liverpool have pulled well clear of the relegation zone and are now less than 20 points behind man u. seriously.

agreed. but when it results in more shots on goal (which it did) too and then more goals (which happened). was it 19 v 1 ? or something like that. then it results in points as it did.

Sure, but those are more meaningful stats. Barcelona will always complete millions of passes, and always have most of the possession, in every game they play, just because that's how they play. But that will be true of games they lose as well as games they win.

Looking for a good holiday village (self catering) with facilities for kids (pool, etc), West Cork, Kerry, Donegal, etc. Banna Beach has been thrown up through some Googling any recos?
    Trabolgan is a no.

Thanks in advance

Dom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Looking for a good holiday village (self catering) with facilities for kids (pool, etc), West Cork, Kerry, Donegal, etc. Banna Beach has been thrown up through some Googling any recos?
    Trabolgan is a no.

Thanks in advance

Dom

Kenmare Bay hotel have lovely self catering houses. And there seems to be a lot around Kenmare that you can do.

I was there last year as part of a girls weekend away, and we were in a row of houses with all the hen/stag parties. One of the girls I was there with had been there with her family & small children at another stage and they were staying in self catering houses that were a good distance away from where the hens & stag parties were so that they wouldn't be disturbed.

As for the houses, they were beautiful, they were very clean & extremely comfortable. I'd have no problem staying there or having a family holiday there.

Advertisement