Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Looking for a good holiday village (self catering) with facilities for kids (pool, etc), West Cork, Kerry, Donegal, etc. Banna Beach has been thrown up through some Googling any recos?
    Trabolgan is a no.

Thanks in advance

Dom

Faithlegg in waterford have great self catering, pool, gym, golf and hotel restaurants, very close to beaches- we stayed last year with little one and had a great time

Blarney Park Hotel- have self catering as well- similar set up to Faithlegg- a decent spot as well. Stayed there as well and it was good fun.

Anyone any other suggestions as will likely be looking for another option this year

Spent the evening making a lemon cake.... finally got to taste it.
    Slightly disappointing, a little sweet for my palate. Still though cake is always good...... yummmmmmm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A highlight from yesterday:

5525271719_35976510b5_z.jpg

There was a guy in a suit half heartedly trying to chase the fox off the pitch, but you could tell he was more concerned with thousands of people uploading videos of him falling over to YouTube than actually getting the fox out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

robinph wrote: »
    A highlight from yesterday:

There was a guy in a suit half heartedly trying to chase the fox off the pitch, but you could tell he was more concerned with thousands of people uploading videos of him falling over to YouTube than actually getting the fox out of there.
    What was the story behind that? I only cought the last few seconds of him but I thought he was just like a mascot doing a few laps of the pitch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Foxx92 wrote: »
    What was the story behind that? I only cought the last few seconds of him but I thought he was just like a mascot doing a few laps of the pitch

Wasn't a mascot certainly. He appeared on the pitch just as the band marched on and then ran up and down a few time, had a lie down in the middle of the pitch, saw a bloke in a suit come walking towards him so ran to the other end of the pitch, then back again. Then he just seemed to run out the opposite exit from where he came in.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/9423677.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Looking for a good holiday village (self catering) with facilities for kids (pool, etc), West Cork, Kerry, Donegal, etc. Banna Beach has been thrown up through some Googling any recos?
    Trabolgan is a no.

Thanks in advance

Dom

We went to BB, BB :D - for the last 2 years.
    Has a good bit for the kids - depending on the age - ours are now nearly 5 and 3.
    There is an indoor adventure play thing, with the balls and slides etc. A pool. The beach if the weathers half decent. Anothe outdoor playground in Adfert (5 mins drive)
    Swimming at the Aqua Dome in Tralee (15min drive) - other things in Tralee. (Thanks TBF)
    A kids farm on the way to Killarney I think.
    Watching things swim at the Oceanworld in Dingle :) - Touch pool for the Ray fish (Our 2 got more enjoyment out of the ultravoilet lights turning there whites illuminous - money well spent :)

We found there was plenty for them to keep them entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Macanri wrote: »
    We went to BB, BB :D - for the last 2 years.
    Has a good bit for the kids - depending on the age - ours are now nearly 5 and 3.
    There is an indoor adventure play thing, with the balls and slides etc. A pool. The beach if the weathers half decent. Anothe outdoor playground in Adfert (5 mins drive)
    Oceanworld in Tralee (15min drive) - other things in Tralee.
    A kids farm on the way to Killarney I think.

We found there was plenty for them to keep them entertained.

Ocean World is in Dingle.
    Aqua Dome is in Tralee

Both are favourite destinations for our kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

'Marathon Boy' is on BBC 4 tomorrow (wednesday) at 10pm.

"Documentary telling the story of the youngest marathon runner ever. At the age of four, he is plucked from the poverty of an Indian slum by his coach. Extraordinary drama and tragedy ensue.

What starts as a simple inspirational story - the hope of a small boy and his trainer who unite to pursue a dream in a ruthless world - goes on to reveal the darker side of humanity and the complexities of Indian society as it struggles to come to grips with the realities of the slums, crippling poverty, organised crime and state-sanctioned corruption.

Over a period of five years a compelling human story emerges, full of moral dilemma, dramatic twists and ethical and legal debate."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

There is a psycho pheasant outside my office :eek: He's repeatedly flying in and pecking at the window.

Now he's doing a dance on the roof. March madness :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Trabolgan is a no.

Thanks in advance

Dom
    +1 to macanris comments

Been to the mobile home park beside BB for the past 4 years and was in there regularly. The hotel has its own small amusement arcade, shop, chinese + chipper and the pub runs something for the kids every night during the summer. It can be a bit mental as a result but grand :rolleyes:. They do a Kids Camp as well and we had ours there for a week which they thoroughly enjoyed. The houses are decent standard. As well as Ardfert, there's also a kids playground in nearby Ballyheigue.
    Nice beach for a run or even on a road is ok ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Is that the hotel on the left on the way down to the Strand RedB? I was heading down that road a few years ago on the Casement trail when I came upon a trailer stuck right across the road - he'd obviously tried to turn and had got stuck on the grass verge. I parked and watched for half an hour while tractors and everything tried to shift it, but eventually had to leave without ever seeing the beach. (I presume they've shifted it by now.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    'Marathon Boy' is on BBC 4 tomorrow (wednesday) at 10pm.

"Documentary telling the story of the youngest marathon runner ever. At the age of four, he is plucked from the poverty of an Indian slum by his coach. Extraordinary drama and tragedy ensue.

What starts as a simple inspirational story - the hope of a small boy and his trainer who unite to pursue a dream in a ruthless world - goes on to reveal the darker side of humanity and the complexities of Indian society as it struggles to come to grips with the realities of the slums, crippling poverty, organised crime and state-sanctioned corruption.

Over a period of five years a compelling human story emerges, full of moral dilemma, dramatic twists and ethical and legal debate."

Can I get BBC4 on sky box??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Can I get BBC4 on sky box??

yes, via "services" -> "other channels".
    If it's not set up, check this link

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Thanks Folks - I got a good deal on Banna through the West Coast Holidays booking engine (think it's a mistake as it's €280 cheaper than the Banna website, but I have an order conf - so happy days). Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Just popping in to say a public congrats to our own 04072511 - an article he wrote profiling a US marathon runner is being promoted on the McMillan Elite website (the team coached by Greg McMillan) as well as a couple of other US locations and has been re-tweeted on the main Greg McMillan Twitter account. Fame and fortune must be just a short hop away for him :D

Just realised that I have to go to work tomorrow, and half of you lot will be in bed with a hangover. I want my bank holiday back, I'd got used to it.

Just popping in to say a public congrats to our own 04072511 - an article he wrote profiling a US marathon runner is being promoted on the McMillan Elite website (the team coached by Greg McMillan) as well as a couple of other US locations and has been re-tweeted on the main Greg McMillan Twitter account. Fame and fortune must be just a short hop away for him :D

Linky??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Linky??

Original article on The Running Review here.

Can see the mention on McMillan site, but links to a CBS article from a previous story below it not the article above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Just realised that I have to go to work tomorrow, and half of you lot will be in bed with a hangover. I want my bank holiday back, I'd got used to it.

Me too. Made worse by the fact that I'm still employed in Ireland and only missing out cos I'm based in London still... Roll on the Royal Wedding and a very easy April though ;)

• Advertisement

xebec wrote: »
    Me too. Made worse by the fact that I'm still employed in Ireland and only missing out cos I'm based in London still... Roll on the Royal Wedding and a very easy April though ;)

Yep, at least April is good this year. Four bank holidays in three weeks, and none of this rubbish with days that are only a day off for school kids and the pubs being shut either. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Yep, at least April is good this year. Four bank holidays in three weeks, and none of this rubbish with days that are only a day off for school kids and the pubs being shut either. :D

Every tom dick and harry i know over here is booking the 3 days in the middle off. 11 days in a row if you book 3 days holidays. You'd be mad not to. God save the Queen!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Just after reading Total Fitness have closed down their 3 gyms in Dublin ; Castleknock, Malahide and Sandyford.. I hope they did'nt take on new members in the last couple of weeks ( altough knowing the way these places work I doubt it :( )....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

liamo123 wrote: »
    Just after reading Total Fitness have closed down their 3 gyms in Dublin ; Castleknock, Malahide and Sandyford.. I hope they did'nt take on new members in the last couple of weeks ( altough knowing the way these places work I doubt it :( )....

They did take on new members - staff didn't have a clue. They showed up to work this morning to signs and locks on the doors - just as puzzled as the members showing up. Usually in these situations, staff and middle management are the last to know. Signs were rising though - they stopped taking upfront payments a little back, only accepting monthly DD payments

**** one for not only the members, but also the staff and trainers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

So the English thought all they had to do was turn up:D. Lets hope 'Big Bang' can do it later. I love his name - Willie 'Big Bang' Casey.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

gerard65 wrote: »
    So the English thought all they had to do was turn up:D. Lets hope 'Big Bang' can do it later. I love his name - Willie 'Big Bang' Casey.:eek:
    Well that did'nt go too well:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Folks, just to remind people (even though most of ye know this already) that if you're leaving your car for a run, make sure that you don't leave valuables that you can leave at home in your car. My car got broken into yesterday when i was gone for a run at the War Memorial Gardens. Looks like a screwdriver through the driver's door where the key goes.

Wallet and phone gone but looks like they were only after money as they left my ishuffle and good sunglasses (they took the crap sunglasses though). The wallet was found with everything but the money in it later at the entrance to the Phoenix Park by a very nice man who went out of his way to return it to me. Nice to know there are some decent folk out there after the morning i had.

Thankfully there was little money it in as i'ld spent my Cheltenham winnings but the hassle and upset isn't nice as my whole Saturday was taken up with cancelling everything, ringing car insurance and chatting to the gardai.

gerard65 wrote: »

La la la. Can't hear you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My resting heart rate is about 30 bpm higher than normal. I'd be alright to train tonight, right? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

My resting heart rate is about 30 bpm higher than normal. I'd be alright to train tonight, right? :rolleyes:

What have you been up to today? ;)

Advertisement