Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

robinph wrote: »
    What have you been up to today? ;)

Going by her log recently, foam rolling related activity

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I couldn't even pump up my bike tyres without getting out of breath today never mind getting down on the floor with something long and hard.

*too easy that one...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/21/mcrunner-sets-personal-re_n_838382.html

Marathon runner and suburban dad Joe D'Amico made headlines for his plan to eat nothing but McDonald's in the 30 days leading up to the Los Angleles marathon. Some supported his effort, others were concerned for his health--but D'Amico survived the challenge, setting a personal record in the race and even improving his cholesterol levels.

"I couldn't ask for a better run on a tough course in difficult conditions," D'Amico told Palatine Patch after completing the L.A. Marathon with an unofficial time of 2:36.14. He improved his previous best time by 30 seconds despite rain, gusty winds and an all-McDonald's diet.

D'Amico, who has been dubbed the "McRunner," outlined his plan on his blog, aptly titled "Confessions of a Drive-Thru Runner." For 30 days, he logged everything he ate, which includes 91 hotcakes, 24 orders of oatmeal, 23 hamburgers, 24 chicken "Snack Wraps" and lots of McDonald's cookies.

What started as a food challenge soon morphed into a big fundraising effort, D'Amico told City Best last week.

"The goal was originally to just complete the 30 days and run a personal best marathon," D'Amico said. "Halfway in to the challenge, I added the goal to raise money for the Ronald McDonald House Charities."

The runner pledged to donate $1 for every McRunner Facebook fan through March 20th (up to $2,500) to the Ronald McDonald House Charities and raise an additional $2,500 via his fundraising page. His father then offered to match the $2,500 donation, and when news of his story spread, donations came rolling in. Palatine Patch reports that he ended up raising more than $26,000 for Ronald McDonald's charities.

"From day one, I received such positive feedback and encouragement from friends, family and even those I never met," D'Amico said on his fundraising page. "That made me realize that I could provide more than just a little entertainment and inspiration; I could actually make a difference!"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more.

Edit:

I couldn't even pump up my bike tyres without getting out of breath today never mind getting down on the floor with something long and hard.

*too easy that one...

Damn, she beat me to it. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Stupid Garmin watch that doesn't turn it self off after sitting on the table doing nothing for hours, you'd think it would realise it wasn't being used and would switch off. Went off for training tonight, got there and had a flat battery. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Any reason why im not getting e mail updates since yesterday re the threads i ve subscribed to? Always have and havent tinkered with settings. Its only since about 6 o clock yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Any reason why im not getting e mail updates since yesterday re the threads i ve subscribed to? Always have and havent tinkered with settings. Its only since about 6 o clock yesterday
    Have a look in your spam folder. If that doesn't work try a hard reset. :)

Have a look in your spam folder. If that doesn't work try a hard reset. :)

Did you lock the bezel before going out, it doesn't work well if it gets wet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Sorted now, happy days

Had reason today to be discussing the details of a delivery of a ship load of wheat, back in 2008, to Bengahzi with a government person today.

Was interesting to read on the shipping order afterwards that they actually specify how many dead insects are permitted per kg of grain (3 if you were wondering) and that they don't allow "any rats alive or dead" or they reject the shipment. Of course when I say interesting I mean slightly worrying. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Reassuring about the rats. Would'nt worry about the insects, after all, how many do you swallow when running on a summers evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JKF

I had an ultrasound today. TWINS :eek:

*We're not telling family just yet but I'm dying to let it all out and hubby is still too shocked to speak so here will have to do

JKF wrote: »

*We're not telling family just yet but I'm dying to let it all out and hubby is still too shocked to speak so here will have to do

Congratulations.

My instinct was to say commiserations mind. :pac:

Just had a call from a company asking me to do a 8 minute phone survey and saying they'd send me out a cheque for 20 euro for doing it. Tell ya what lads, send me the cheque first. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Congratulations! I know how you feel! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Congrats
    After the crazy first few months (based on my experiences trying to raise one!) you'll have two- literally for the price of one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Irish Cancer Society's Daffodil Day - I'm sure we've all been impacted at some stage - dig a little deep if you can.
    [Embedded Image Removed]

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JKF

Cheers folks :D

Although I was very disappointed to find out it's not a valid excuse to eat for three...

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

No offence guys but the lack of talk about track/field events in this forum really bores me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

No offence guys but the lack of talk about track/field events in this forum really bores me.

Create a thread then

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

baza1976 wrote: »
    Create a thread then

The other issue is there are not many track/field people here. Just road and marathon runners.

I miss Leevale's forum:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

The other issue is there are not many track/field people here. Just road and marathon runners.

I miss Leevale's forum:(

I didn't mean to be flippent. But the only way to have more people talking about T&F is for more threads to appear. Persistance (and spelling:( )

Right, that's the UK census filled in. When's the Irish one on so I can see If I can get two robinph's existing and cause some kind of disturbance in the space time continuum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Boards ac facebook seems to be sending spam messages and seems to be recieving them also. I've changed the password, is there anything else that can be done. cheers.

Woddle wrote: »
    Boards ac facebook seems to be sending spam messages and seems to be recieving them also. I've changed the password, is there anything else that can be done. cheers.

I wondered what you were up to earlier.

Not sure how to clean up a Bookface account of spammy badness though.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

robinph wrote: »
    I wondered what you were up to earlier.

Not sure how to clean up a Bookface account of spammy badness though.

There is a Mark as spam option on a post in FB. this may help stem the flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Completely forgot to pay the toll coming home from Barcelona, just got a unpaid toll notice for €45.50 :mad:

Came across this site for old TV Ads and more - bit of craic surfing through
    http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/adverts/index.html

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Came across this site for old TV Ads and more - bit of craic surfing through
    http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/adverts/index.html

I wonder how many of us went straight for the guinness ad! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Good Lord, couldn't they find any Irish actors?

Advertisement