Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

So.... Wait.... did Usain Bolt test positive? :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

:D:D:D For the first time ever I* just picked up 1st place in a race this morning. :D:D:D

Now have to figure out what I actually want of Skins products as that is all the £10 voucher can be used for.

* OK, so there were three other people on the team who all ran faster legs than me but that's irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Just checked great ireland Facebook webpage. There was a comment left by a women doing 3 marathons this year! Womens minimarathon, Kildare 10k(my guess) and great ireland "marathon". Makes me smile :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just checked great ireland Facebook webpage. There was a comment left by a women doing 3 marathons this year! Womens minimarathon, Kildare 10k(my guess) and great ireland "marathon". Makes me smile :)

It isn't a totally obvious 10km=Marathon comment, but I see no reason to doubt your analysis. I'd expect anyone here to make the same claim something along the lines of "I'm doing London, Berlin and Dublin this year...". We'd be unlikely to just call that three Marathons but would actually name them, but nobody would name 10km's, even the people that doing the Flora Womens 0.238* Marathon. :D

*I may have dropped a decimal point in my calculations, so sorry for any inaccuracy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

robinph wrote: »
    It isn't a totally obvious 10km=Marathon comment, but I see no reason to doubt your analysis. I'd expect anyone here to make the same claim something along the lines of "I'm doing London, Berlin and Dublin this year...". We'd be unlikely to just call that three Marathons but would actually name them, but nobody would name 10km's, even the people that doing the Flora Womens 0.238* Marathon. :D

*I may have dropped a decimal point in my calculations, so sorry for any inaccuracy.

I love the way we all name marathons by the name of the city it's in. I'm going around saying my next race is Antwerp with replies along the lines of ''and what distance is that one?" then I look at them as if they're stupid. How can they now know that when I name a city then I'm running 26.2 miles? Geez. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yes, I saw that too. I've been congratulating myself on my forbearance since then...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

I love the way we all name marathons by the name of the city it's in. I'm going around saying my next race is Antwerp with replies along the lines of ''and what distance is that one?" then I look at them as if they're stupid. How can they now know that when I name a city then I'm running 26.2 miles? Geez. :rolleyes:
    Could be the famous 'Antwerp 110m hurdles'!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There was a comment left by a women doing 3 marathons this year! Womens minimarathon, Kildare 10k(my guess) and great ireland "marathon". Makes me smile :)
    There's always plenty like that on the Women's Mini-Marathon FB page. Just saw a reply to a post stating that entries were up on last year saying "posted mine today cant wait and it be my 12th marathon". :rolleyes:

Or the "Antwerp tulip picking whilst wearing clogs multi day endurance event".

This...
    There's always plenty like that on the Women's Mini-Marathon FB page. Just saw a reply to a post stating that entries were up on last year saying "posted mine today cant wait and it be my 12th marathon". :rolleyes:
    ...confirms these suspicions...

I fear that I may be getting into Bookface stalking mode again. :eek:

Now where did "Keith" get to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

robinph, rainbow Kirby, Gerard65, RayCun, RacoonQueen and TheRoadRunner,

as I've recently been informed by a particularly charming member on this board, everyone who says that a marathon is 26.2 miles is insecure and elitist.

You're all insecure and elitist!

robinph, rainbow Kirby, Gerard65, RayCun, RacoonQueen and TheRoadRunner,

as I've recently been informed by a particularly charming member on this board, everyone who says that a marathon is 26.2 miles is insecure and elitist.

I don't care what you say, it is measured in miles and not those funny French kilometer distances.

It is the unit of measurement that we are using they were criticising wasn't it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm insecure about my membership of the elite :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

RayCun wrote: »
    I'm insecure about my membership of the elite :(

Most elitist people are not actually elites

Couple of years ago had no intention of joining a running club as I'm far to useless for that kind of running. Then Woddle had one of his brainwaves, I entered some races running for a club, I lost my job went skiing and moved country, joined another big'ish club, did some races, did some more races...

Tonight at their annual awards they gave me the prize for "Best Newcomer". :D:D:D

I'm having quite a successful week so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Tonight at their annual awards they gave me the prize for "Best Newcomer". :D:D:D

I'm having quite a successful week so far.

They obviously don't know the real you, any excuse to drink, doesn't train and eats frys before races and will put festivals before team races :D

Congrats

Yeah, I feel this could be the high point of my career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Chuck Norris once ran a Marathon backwards just to see what second place looks like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Quick somebody tell me where I can watch spurs v Real online? Doesnt seem to be on rte or tv poxy 3.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

tunguska wrote: »
    Quick somebody tell me where I can watch spurs v Real online? Doesnt seem to be on rte or tv poxy 3.
    Thanks

It's definately on TV3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

menoscemo wrote: »
    It's definately on TV3

Goddamitt tv3 is being difficult with me, not loading up at all.

I have just been and purchased an Apple product. :(

I'm not sure what came over me, but I feel as if I have sinned in some way and am now unclean.

I even went and paid more for it in PC World rather than the Apple store because I was worried that the Apple store would force me to take an Apple carrier bag and wouldn't be able to disguse my purchase on the way out of the centre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm not sure what came over me, but I feel as if I have sinned in some way and am now unclean.

I even went and paid more for it in PC World rather than the Apple store because I was worried that the Apple store would force me to take an Apple carrier bag and wouldn't be able to disguse my purchase on the way out of the centre.

Welcome to the world of coolness. :cool: What did you buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Welcome to the world of coolness. :cool: What did you buy?

Bet he's back posting in an hour gushing about user-friendlyness and design and functionality...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

QUOTE]

Where are you getting your other 4 fruit/veg from?

Just a bluetooth keyboard to use with my most definately not an eye pad. The Samsung keyboard dock being more expensive than Apples wireless one. Luckily the silly fruit logo is not visible when in use so nobody need ever know about it.

I did like the smell of "newness" when I took it out of it's box, but that is all your getting in terms of positive comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Just a bluetooth keyboard to use with my most definately not an eye pad.

I'm an apple fan but my Jesus the iPad is a piece of crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Just a bluetooth keyboard to use with my most definately not an eye pad. The Samsung keyboard dock being more expensive than Apples wireless one. Luckily the silly fruit logo is not visible when in use so nobody need ever know about it.

I did like the smell of "newness" when I took it out of it's box, but that is all your getting in terms of positive comments.

That's like buying beautiful pearl earrings and giving them to a slapper in a shell suit showing her spilling midriff. It doesn't count :).

That's like buying beautiful pearl earrings and giving them to a slapper in a shell suit showing her spilling midriff. It doesn't count :).

Apple is the slapper in the shell suit...right?

• Advertisement

It's not a particuarly busy social schedule that I have, but in the last half hour I've had two different sets of mates invite me out for beers tomorrow. Why did they both have to pick the same fecking day, and a Wednesday of all days. Also neither event is moveable to another night.

Looks like I may have to attempt to combine the events, but not sure how that would work out. Very different people and potential topics of conversation. :eek:

On the positive side though It looks like I'll be getting drunk tomorrow. :D

Advertisement