Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You'll die on a diet of any one foodstuff (well, to be pedantic, you'll die anyway, but you know what I mean).

Apparently if you could choose one item to eat for your life, spuds are your best bet (although there's no Vit D so you may get rickets).

Yeah, I think they were talking about Ye Olde'en Dayes when game keepers were dying off for unknown reasons or something and it turned out their basic diet of rabbit with rabbit was more lacking than anything else in something essential. Wasn't paying enough attention though obviously, but it will no doubt be on Dave again next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

take it from me, their vicious little buggers.
    ...got a mean streak a mile long </Monty python>

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I seem to recall comments back during the Sepp Blatter "election" that a couple of sponsors removing their support wouldn't have any effect. Shame that the Adidas's and whoever else didn't come out a bit stronger than just saying they were a bit concerned about him back then.

Today shows that a bunch of sponsors/ advertisers pulling the plug does make a difference if they are concerned enough about the opinion of the public buying their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

robinph wrote: »
    I seem to recall comments back during the Sepp Blatter "election" that a couple of sponsors removing their support wouldn't have any effect. Shame that the Adidas's and whoever else didn't come out a bit stronger than just saying they were a bit concerned about him back then.

Today shows that a bunch of sponsors/ advertisers pulling the plug does make a difference if they are concerned enough about the opinion of the public buying their products.

I'm being a smart ass, but hey, told you so ....

People can stop buying one newspaper and get a different one without much problem. Not watching football, with all the emotional attachment that comes with it, is a completely different ball game thing.

But threatening Adidas and Coke that you'll not buy their products whilst they support Sepp is perfectly possible. Doesn't mean it would ever happen, but the advertisers get nervous easily and would pull the plug.

Was not really any question that people would have stopped shopping in Boots or Sainsburys etc, but the slightest suggestion of people boycotting them due to advertising with NotW and they pull the plug.

• Advertisement

But threatening Adidas and Coke that you'll not buy their products whilst they support Sepp is perfectly possible.

They'll respond by saying they're supporting football, not Sepp.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

They'll just start selling a Sunday edition of the Sun. They wanted to do that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Just had to share this quote by Enda Kenny on Gaelforce.

'These warriors that take part in adventure races, as they are called, are not triathlon people or Olympians – they are superhuman to do what they do.'

It's funnier if you read it in Inda's voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That ends that debate so. The wussy triathletes can have their own forum without a doubt now, I don't want to be associated with them.

Now where does he stand on the 'real' adventure vs multi sport debate. His comment was about Gaelforce I suppose so that's pretty definitive. Go Enda !

Anyone else Google+'ing yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Yeps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yep, don't "get" it tbh - yet another Facebook clone, but it's from google so it's cool? All the folks in my "circles" are desperate for it to beat Facebook for no particular reason, it's not like google is this plucky little guy :)

Anyone want an invite pm me btw?

My invites button disappeared. :(

Their Buzz things was a bit rubbish, but the Wave was good. They just need to get the momentum of people joined up and using it, which is very difficult. Facebook got lucky with their timing in when they appeared on the scene globally and that other things were already dying. I think I initially got on it when it was just US uni students allowed in, but that restricted audience probably gave them the right bunch of people to be starting off with.

Google has a tough task, but I'm liking the look so far. Seems they have a better system for grouping people and privacy anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Get a life people. Social network sites are junk. Idiot comments that no one with half a brain would be interested in, stupid pics of people doing very boring things and an invite to spam and identity thieft.

Not a whole lot different to boards.ie then really?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

England out of Women's World Cup at the quarter finals, on penalties. Some things will never change. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

England out of Women's World Cup at the quarter finals, on penalties. Some things will never change. :pac:

:mad: At least it wasn't to Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Anyway, girls playing football, what next...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Anyway, girls playing football, what next...

Girls have been playing for years.

article-1023558-04E892840000044D-196_468x451.jpg
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Girls have been playing for years.

:D

Ah yes, the Neville Sisters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

My invites button disappeared. :(

Their Buzz things was a bit rubbish, but the Wave was good. They just need to get the momentum of people joined up and using it, which is very difficult. Facebook got lucky with their timing in when they appeared on the scene globally and that other things were already dying. I think I initially got on it when it was just US uni students allowed in, but that restricted audience probably gave them the right bunch of people to be starting off with.

Google has a tough task, but I'm liking the look so far. Seems they have a better system for grouping people and privacy anyway.

I got an invite to it around a week ago but it only left me in today. Not sure about it yet tbh.

If anyone is keen to try it out just pm me your email address & I'll fire you on an invite, not sure if it has to be a gmail one or not :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It has been in or around 35C-40C most of the last couple of weeks. Today is no exception in central Illinois. Means training is restricted to very early morning. Would anyone like to trade? I'll throw in 80-90% humidity as well. :p
    TIMING... DANGEROUS HEAT AND HUMIDITY LEVELS WILL BE COMMON ACROSS THE ADVISORY AREA FROM MIDDAY INTO THE EARLY EVENING.

* AIR TEMPERATURE AND HEAT INDEX VALUES... AIR TEMPERATURES ARE FORECAST TO PUSH INTO THE 90S DURING THIS AFTERNOON AND COUPLED WITH HIGH HUMIDITY WITH DEWPOINTS IN THE MID 70S TO NEAR 80 DEGREES... WILL PRODUCE HEAT INDEX VALUES BETWEEN 105 AND 115 DEGREES. THE HIGHEST HEAT INDICES WILL OCCUR FROM TAYLORVILLE TO ROBINSON SOUTH BETWEEN 2 AND 6 PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Thought I'd add this site in here --> http://animalsbeingdicks.com
    Kept me amused for a while.

Just glanced at my log and spotted that I've actually gone running for each for the last 8 days. Not sure that I've ever done that before, usually only do 4 or 5 days in a row.

I'm going to have to take a week off to recover from this excessive exertion now. :eek:

I'm going to have to take a week off to recover from this excessive exertion now. :eek:

Glancing at your log tired you out that much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Gave my youngest half a banana, I saw her enter the playroom with it, she then left the playroom without it, she wasn't in there that long so I know she didn't eat it and now I'm still tyring to find the damn banana.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

A friend of mine send me an article on Jogging Around Cork from the peoplesrepublicofcork.com forums, made me laugh, gets a dig into all sorts of people :) Two of the funnier bits below:

Real Runners and Rookies

It’s easy to pick out experienced runners even when they’re not jogging by their clothing which only consists of ‘Ballycotton 10’ and various Cork marathon t-shirts. Bulkier beginners who refuse to succumb to the marketing madness of the running industry are easy to spot too in their witty if-found-return-to-pub slogan t-shirts, bright Bermuda trunks and flat soled All-star fashion runners. And their puce and panting red faces of course.

Our tip: If you become a marathon runner don’t stop buying t-shirts in proper clothes shops

The Triathelte

Equipped with the latest over-priced luminous sweat-proof breathable waterproof clothing, go-fast gel based super running shoes and with various expensive electronic chips stuck in uncomfortable parts of their bodies this lot are a sports salesman’s dream as they seem to use fitness as an excuse to spend money on anything that claims it will improve their performances.

Our tip: while their fitness and dedication is to be admired never get into a conversation with a Triathlete about their chosen sport as you risk death by boredom.

At what point does too much cider become too much?

i tinkn Il'l be hagving a lying tooomorowowww.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Hahahaha :pac:

• Advertisement

xebec wrote: »

Hahahaha :pac:
    My head hurts. :(

Advertisement