Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

How does the BBC explain the Higgs particle to people? Why, in units of celebrities of course...
    The Higgs explains why other particles have mass. As the Universe cooled after the Big Bang, an invisible force known as the Higgs field formed together with its associated boson particle.

It is this field (and not the boson) that imparts mass to the fundamental particles that make up atoms. Without it, these particles would zip through the cosmos at the speed of light.

Mass mechanism
    The way the Higgs field works has been likened to the way photographers and reporters congregate around a celebrity. The cluster of people are strongly attracted to the celebrity and create resistance to his or her movement across a room. In other words, they give the celebrity "mass".

No wonder people are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

How does the BBC explain the Higgs particle to people? Why, in units of celebrities of course...

No wonder people are stupid.

I think it's actually a very nice way of giving us non-particle physicists a way to visualise and begin to understand what exactly it is the actual particle physicists are blathering on about.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I thought it was a well worked and valid analogy too, don't believe the BBC came up with it either, think it was CERN themselves? It's been in all the news stories worldwide. Probably helped to get 100s of times more coverage than it would have gotten without the analogy also.

It's just a development on the classic 'party analogy' which is good enough for any third level physics course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

When explaining electrons, I like to use the analogy of flies whizzing around dog sh1te.

close enough:cool:

copacetic wrote: »
    I thought it was a well worked and valid analogy too, don't believe the BBC came up with it either, think it was CERN themselves? It's been in all the news stories worldwide. Probably helped to get 100s of times more coverage than it would have gotten without the analogy also.

It's just a development on the classic 'party analogy' which is good enough for any third level physics course!

Can't find anything in the CERN press release. Maybe (maybe?:D) I'm just a crank, but I dislike how science "has" to be dumbed down and sexified for the common man. You want to explain one type of attraction creating resistance to movement? What's wrong with dropping a caraway seed into a fizzy drink? Classic fun for all the family, no need to invoke the picture of Billy Idol* being hounded by his fans.

*insert whoever is famous these days.
    When explaining electrons, I like to use the analogy of flies whizzing around dog sh1te.

close enough:cool:

Now that's a good analogy for celebrities! :D

• Advertisement

I don't see it in the link, but CERN have used the analogy a lot in the past and the creator worked with them. It's based a competition winning one page explanation from 1993 or so for science ministry in the UK. Which used thatcher as the celebrity

http://www.hep.ucl.ac.uk/~djm/higgsa.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sounds like someone read the 1993 explanation and misunderstood it.
    she acquires a greater mass than normal, that is, she has more momentum for the same speed of movement across the room. Once moving she is harder to stop, and once stopped she is harder to get moving again because the clustering process has to be restarted.
    The cluster of people are strongly attracted to the celebrity and create resistance to his or her movement across a room

Not really for me, it's about theoretical internial mass, which is kind of a resistance to both getting going when stopped and once going to stopping.so it holds as well as a simple analogy can.

They still haven't proved it, so currently the analogy would be that Thatcher would enter a room and slide across it at light speed and out the window!

RayCun wrote: »
    Sounds like someone read the 1993 explanation and misunderstood it.

CERN: "We need €7,500,000,000 to determine if the Higgs mechanism for generating elementary particle masses via electroweak symmetry breaking is actually realised in nature?"

Taxpayer: "You what now?"

CERN: "We need €7,500,000,000 to sort of like see how fast Kylie can cross a crowded room."

Taxpayer: "Ah, science. Here's a blank cheque."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Just back in from a chilly run and I'm greeted with the smell of a curry wafting through the house and nice glass of white wine - she's a keeper!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Just back in from a chilly run and I'm greeted with the smell of a curry wafting through the house and nice glass of white wine - she's a keeper!

Just back in from a run in the wind and sleet that felts as if my face was getting pelted with stones and discover that the freezer has decided to defrost itself over the kitchen floor. The freezer is getting dumped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Met up with some guys from the club this morning for our Saturday run, all wearing Santa hats or full Santa suits. Just a relaxed 8 miles around that took us 2 hours due to all the stops.

Few stops for photos. Stopped in the club secretaries shop to sing them "we wish you a merry Christmas " and then eat some cakes. Stopped outside some church and joined them for some carol singing as well. But the highlight...

THE HOFF.

Yep, he's playing in panto here and we spotted him walking down the street trying not to be seen with his hoody up. Few of us surrounded him and managed to get some pictures taken by his minder.

robinph wrote: »
    Met up with some guys from the club this morning for our Saturday run, all wearing Santa hats or full Santa suits. Just a relaxed 8 miles around that took us 2 hours due to all the stops.

Few stops for photos. Stopped in the club secretaries shop to sing them "we wish you a merry Christmas " and then eat some cakes. Stopped outside some church and joined them for some carol singing as well. But the highlight...

THE HOFF.

Yep, he's playing in panto here and we spotted him walking down the street trying not to be seen with his hoody up. Few of us surrounded him and managed to get some pictures taken by his minder.
    Had to google 'the hoff':o. Its a long way from babewatch to panto in Bristol:pac:
    See my previous post.

gerard65 wrote: »
    Had to google 'the hoff':o. Its a long way from babewatch to panto in Bristol:pac:
    See my previous post.

hoff-knight-rider-mustang.jpg

Oddly I remember this better

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Anyone fancy a trip to Austria for a wee cycle?

Anyone fancy a trip to Austria for a wee cycle?

No, but thanks for asking.

Thats crazy. Feel sick just watching it. No health and safety people in Austria?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

When brushing my teeth this morning I couldn't help but think that the kids dropped my brush in the toilet, sth didn't seem right

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Woddle wrote: »
    When brushing my teeth this morning I couldn't help but think that the kids dropped my brush in the toilet, sth didn't seem right

dropped in the toilet - or worse :pac:

Woddle wrote: »
    I would'nt worry about it. The water you flush the toilet with is drinking water, absolute madness but what can you do:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I would'nt worry about it. The water you flush the toilet with is drinking water, absolute madness but what can you do:rolleyes:
    and depends wat flushing policy u have in the gaf...

Anyone with a UK phone number don't forget to Vote Mo this evening:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/sports_personality/16292622.stm

...or if you're into those short distances I guess you could Vote Dai instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ultraman1 wrote: »
    and depends wat flushing policy u have in the gaf...

"If it's yellow, let it mellow" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Thats crazy. Feel sick just watching it. No health and safety people in Austria?

Clare is as bad
    http-inlinethumb28.webshots.com-25179-2600010880104181437S600x600Q85.jpg

That photo looks photoshoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

IIRC the lads at the Cliffs of Moher had been on the piss the night before. Maniacs.

• Advertisement

A new view of the Usain Bolt false start that's not been seen before:

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/videos/usain-bolts-false-start-in-plasticine-stop-motion/

Advertisement