Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Merry Christmas Boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Am I too late for A/R/T performance of the year :D - Happy Christmas all!
    388108_2693725756691_1662987617_2410394_445197935_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I found this on the soccer forum today. Very funny I must say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Anyone got a 1994 technic lego super car set #8880 they would like to sell me?

http://www.siliconjunction.info/lego/sets/images/8880-full-icon.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

This is pretty nifty idea. Make your race number into a coaster. http://www.etsy.com/shop/26MileStones

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    This is pretty nifty idea. Make your race number into a coaster. http://www.etsy.com/shop/26MileStones

Great idea! US-based though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Over the holidays I configured my laptop to dual boot into Linux Mint as well as Windows 7 (yes I do have a strange idea of fun but a lot of you reading this get up early on Sundays to run 20 miles so don't throw stones!) and I'm totally blown away by it. Quick, responsive and works with no fiddling about with drivers. The install process for new software is streets ahead of Windows and it's much more secure. I need to maintain the dual boot for work (I need MS Office in a native environment) and I'm not sure if things like the Garmin ANT agent work on WINE (the windows emulator) but I've started using it for all of my personal stuff and if it weren't for work I'd be ditching Windows. Cracking bit of software and totally free.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I never managed to get the ANT agent working with Linux before so had to resort to installing dual boot XP on my travel laptop a while ago. If I could get it to work with Android now though I think I'd be ditching the latops for most non-work stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

This just popped up on my twitter feed
    xxx burned 73 calories doing 10 minutes of "Wii Fit Free Run"

WTF?

So, off I go and look up what the fudge Wii Fit Free Run is.
    I was going to blog about the Wii Fit Strength Training exercises today, however, I just unlocked a feature I had to tell you about:

Free Run!

The Wii Fit running game is located in the Aerobics category. After you go through so many activities, new ones are opened up.

Free Run lets you change the channel on your TV as you still participate in the Wii Fit Running game! Yes, that’s right-you can literally watch your favorite TV shows while running in place in your living room.

All you have to do is place the Wii remote in your pocket or simply hold it in your right hand.

You will hear the sounds of your Will running through the Wii remote, and you will hear it as you get faster or slower (just like you were watching it on the screen). You will occasionally hear a voice through the Wii remote telling you to keep a steady pace, or that you’re keeping a nice pace. The voice will also let you know when it’s been five minutes, and then at two minutes, one minute, and then down to ten seconds, etc.

The voice is not too loud so that you don’t hear your television.

Are you tired of running in place? I got a little tired of running in place, too. Not tired from the running, just…bored? However, I went back to my high school days of playing tennis, and remembered all of the exercises we’d do on the court. For example, we did exercises such as running forward and backward on the court, side to side on the court, crossovers, etc.

It’s made a huge difference, and I feel like I am more apt to do another run or a longer run if I vary my routine. Sometimes I run in place, and sometimes my living room turns into a mini tennis court. I can almost imagine all of the lines on the court that I spent many times running back and forth, back and forth.

Sometimes I love watching the Mii’s running through the beautiful scenery, along with the cute dogs. Other times, after the Wii music has been playing through my head all day, I can simply watch a favorite TV program and still get the benefits of the Wii running game.

Christ.

*almost ended up bolding the whole article*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They seem surprised that 5 minutes running on the spot in front of the telly is boring. :confused:

• Advertisement

I bet the triathletes use Wii free run to simulate a brick after a turbo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

robinph wrote: »
    They seem surprised that 5 minutes running on the spot in front of the telly is boring. :confused:

Probably the same people who'd tell you they can't run as it's sooooo boring.

Must get myself a wii, work out how long it takes me to burn 100 calories or so jogging on the spot, call that a mile, use it to measure and I'll be finished the 1000 mile challenge by the end of Feb. :cool:

Why is it always tougher jogging to the shops when you can run a lot quicker on a LSR. Same goes for a bus.

In defence of the Wii Fit (not something I ever thought I would write!) I know people who have used it really successfully for what they wanted it to do. They needed a low cost, fun, easy way to do short bursts of exercise when they lacked the time or confidence for a gym or the fitness / confidence to road run.

Is it as good as going to a gym? No.

Is it as good as running outdoors? Of course not?

Is it better than sitting on yer bum watching EastEnders? Totally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Why is it always tougher jogging to the shops when you can run a lot quicker on a LSR. Same goes for a bus.

Release of exercise induced hormones and overcoming muscle inertia. Take a while to kick in, also known as second wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Release of exercise induced hormones and overcoming muscle inertia. Take a while to kick in, also known as second wind.

Ok then.

Why can I run up a hill no problems but get out of breath when I walk up a staircase?

Ok then.

Why can I run up a hill no problems but get out of breath when I walk up a staircase?

Have you been running before you come to the hill? If so, try it from rest. Also Try run up the stairs after running a mile, I bet it would be very very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ok then.

It's the Lycra. Much lighter than your normal clothes. :)

It's the Lycra. Much lighter than your normal clothes. :)

No we cant put it down to that. Apparently Thomas has a full body Lycra suit he wears at home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

No we cant put it down to that. Apparently Thomas has a full body Lycra suit he wears at home :)

You promised you wouldn't tell anyone! :eek:

• Advertisement

Just went and got a tetanus booster shot, slightly odd when I went into the nurse and he asked if I was OK with him dealing with me but I just figured he maybe says that to all his customers as he's a bloke. Bit of a natter about running as he was stabbing my shoulder then as I left he said see you at training next week.

Doh!

Thought he looked a bit familiar, I really should pay more attention to who else it in my club on training nights. I may have just about got away with it though. Seeing people you know in unexpected places gets confusing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Just went and got a tetanus booster shot, slightly odd when I went into the nurse and he asked if I was OK with him dealing with me but I just figured he maybe says that to all his customers as he's a bloke. Bit of a natter about running as he was stabbing my shoulder then as I left he said see you at training next week.

Doh!

Thought he looked a bit familiar, I really should pay more attention to who else it in my club on training nights. I may have just about got away with it though. Seeing people you know in unexpected places gets confusing. :D

Was he wearing shorts? No? Then how the hell are you supposed to recognise him..

Was he wearing shorts? No? Then how the hell are you supposed to recognise him..

Hope he was wearing something as he probed you from behind :eek:

Exactly. At least I did kind of recognise him, just I figured he looked familiar as I'd probably seen him around the GP's before.

I have even more difficulty recognising the wimins from the club when going up the pub, and then I'd be expecting to see them there. Once they put all their slap on and their hair is done up I can no longer figure out who they are.

Could also be partly to do with chesticles appearing significantly different when not wearing fluorescent running gear distracting me as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Exactly. At least I did kind of recognise him, just I figured he looked familiar as I'd probably seen him around the GP's before.

I have even more difficulty recognising the wimins from the club when going up the pub, and then I'd be expecting to see them there. Once they put all their slap on and their hair is done up I can no longer figure out who they are.

Could also be partly to do with chesticles appearing significantly different when not wearing fluorescent running gear distracting me as well.

Absolutely. Our club still holds an annual Dinner Dance and I'm hard-pressed to recognise some of the athletes/runners. The girls in particular are utterly transformed.

Just booked 5 days skiing :) Last week of Feb so that guarantees I'll be on crutches for the Rotterdam marathon...

Man City are missing a few things at the moment.
    One's a title. Two's Kompany. Three's a crowd.

stolen from the twitternet

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

I routinely empty out my pockets at the end of a day, since I don’t like the weight and jangle of coins.
    Yesterday I emptied all the loose change scattered around my house in various bags and drawers, bagged it up, and lodged it at the bank. Amazed when it all added up to 2,448 Euro.
    Or am I doing the right thing trusting the bank with my miser's hoard?
    If you want an accurate prediction what Ireland is going to be like in 5 years time, you are probably better off watching "The Road" than reading Fintan O'Toole.
    In a post -apocalyptic wasteland, the coins would have value as scrap metal, when the banks are long gone, and I might be able to barter them for food.

http://offliberty.com/ this site allows you to download youtube clips with just one mouse click. Useful for tunes etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Man City are missing a few things at the moment.
    One's a title. Two's Kompany. Three's a crowd.

stolen from the twitternet
    Can't understand why Man city fans go to their home games dressed as empty seats.

Advertisement