Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Some people might be interested in this. I've been to previous music relation talks and it's good craic.

http://www.bodytonicmusic.com/banter/

This month is about the Irish running boom. Blurb below

BANTER is a series of monthly informal discussions on pop culture stuff which has been running for two years. All events are hosted by Irish Times journalist Jim Carroll. Previous Banters have included The Sonar Festival Story, The State of Irish Radio, The Future of Print Media & The Irish Palette. Podcasts of these Banters can be downloaded below.

Look out your window and behold the sight of the Irish nation running, jogging, crawling and triathloning outside in the open air. The Irish running renaissance is one of the more welcome features of the recession as people decide to keep mind, body and soul together by putting one foot in front of the other and keeping going until they run out of breath or their shin splits or hamstrings tell them to stop.

This Banter panel rounds up everyone from 10k newbies to marathon veterans to discuss the joys (and pains) of running. Why do we do it? What do we get out of it? Where does it go from here? Will we be heading back to the gyms when we have money in our pockets again? Or is running now an addiction for life?

On the starting line: Ian O’Riordan (Irish Times and author of “Miles to Run – Promises to Keep”), Raedi Higgins (Runs Like A Girl), Barry Redsetta (Pogo, Jam the Box). Man with the stopwatch: JIm Carroll

This Banter takes place at the Twisted Pepper (Middle Abbey Street, Dublin 1) on Thursday January 19. Doors open at 7.30pm and the Banter starts at 8pm sharp. Admission is €5 or you sign up to our free invite list here before Friday 13 Jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Etta James - whose two CD best of "Sweetest Peaches" did more than anything to turn me on to real soul music - has died of leukaemia at 73. Born to a 14 year old mother and allegedly fathered by pool shark Minnesota Fats she had probably the best R&B voice of them all. I really regret that I never got to see her live, amazing lady who lived an amazing life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just had a bit of an afternoon doze, got up, put glasses on, walked into the wall.

Then realised that I still had my contact lenses in as well. Doh!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just had a bit of an afternoon doze, got up, put glasses on, walked into the wall.

Then realised that I still had my contact lenses in as well. Doh!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Doing it once was bad, but doing it twice??:eek:

• Advertisement

gerard65 wrote: »
    Doing it once was bad, but doing it twice??:eek:

Seems that the hamsters are as confused as me at the moment with this double posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

This funny from the cycling forum:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

How do I post a youtube vid?

baza1976 wrote: »
    How do I post a youtube vid?
    Copy the youtube web address. Open thread. Click on youtube icon. Copy address from = sigh like this:
    'YOUTUBE]Only number/char after = sign here[/YOUTUBE'

• Advertisement

I want to post this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbrqWarXPw0
    so I deleteup to pbrqWarXPw0 then click on the youtube icon and paste this bit between the brackets:
    YOUTUBE]pbrqWarXPw0[/YOUTUBE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Really looking forward to the 'Bosses' new album.

Thanks guys..heard it on radio yesterday... Thought it was best song I heard in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Bloody hell what a match between Djokovic and Murray yesterday, one of the best I've ever seen. Murray really gave him a proper go unlike last year when he rolled over. Ivan Lendl looks even meaner now than he did 20years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Reminds me of one of the Raheny lads in the 2008 nationals, had a huge lead and fell at the last jump, finished 2nd I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Not even a mega run earlier could give me an answer, any ideas?

ULs Kemmy Business School will have its Graduate and perspective students open day/evening in a number of weeks. Traditionally, the footfall for the talks at these has been low. As usual there is a full spread of grub and refreshments but this year the school would like to see increased footfall for this through perhaps, some type of event or just anything that might grab more faces to come down.

Any ideas?

Not even a mega run earlier could give me an answer, any ideas?

ULs Kemmy Business School will have its Graduate and perspective students open day/evening in a number of weeks. Traditionally, the footfall for the talks at these has been low. As usual there is a full spread of grub and refreshments but this year the school would like to see increased footfall for this through perhaps, some type of event or just anything that might grab more faces to come down.

Any ideas?
    Goody bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Blackjack and hookers?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

A talk by somebody impressive would likely get people to travel, hard to get someone though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

copacetic wrote: »
    A talk by somebody impressive...hard to get someone though.

Oh I dunno, I'm only down the road...

Cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Client: What information will you need in this email?
    Us: Mothers maiden name, date of birth, fathers first name.

Email comes through from client a bit later containing:
    Mothers maiden name
    Date of birth
    Name of first dog

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

robinph wrote: »
    Client: What information will you need in this email?
    Us: Mothers maiden name, date of birth, fathers first name.

Email comes through from client a bit later containing:
    Mothers maiden name
    Date of birth
    Name of first dog

Beastiailty lives on in the UK I see :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Check out the last 20s or so of this :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYplvwBvGA4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

On my way to the last 20 seconds, the scene around 48 seconds caught my eye :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Does anybody on here play this online football management game?
    If so or if you fancy joining up, I have just taken over the admin of a league and need to recruit a few new managers to take on a team in the league.

Register on xperteleven.com and click on our league link below to apply for a team:
    http://www.xperteleven.com/?lid=203915
    I'll set it up so that new teams get a team of equal strength to the current teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Junior was at a schools quiz tonight, I sat with the parents, and there were a couple of ladies who knew all the "entertainment" answers and would smugly whisper "Westlife" or "Beyoncé" loudly to one another, so others could know they were smart. They sort of misheard one question:

"Which major European capitals' Fringe hosts the largest arts festival in the world?"

One looked at the other and whispered "Fridge?", the other with a puzzled look: "Largest Arse Festival?"

• Advertisement

"...major European capital..." ??????

That is probably the bit that stumped them, they've not had the referendum yet you know. ;)

Advertisement