Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Could have done with some under pitch heating on one part of the cross country course I was doing today. Most of the course was pretty good and had been softened up a bit by the sun to actually make a good surface for running on, but one section that was in the shade of a building was rock solid and despite about ten previous races before the SM having run that same bit of the course multiple times each it hadn't softened up at all and was like running on big rocks where the mud was frozen solid.

Nearly sent me flying with potential for badly messed ankles. I'd certainly not want to have been making attempts at a try on a surface like that in Paris.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

OK, so it's not really off topic, but no point in starting a thread in the events forum to just talk to myself...

So before I do that, has anyone run the Marine Corps Marathon in the USofA or know anything about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

robinph wrote: »
    OK, so it's not really off topic, but no point in starting a thread in the events forum to just talk to myself...

So before I do that, has anyone run the Marine Corps Marathon in the USofA or know anything about it?

Don't cheat. http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=7202&PageNum=&CategoryID=

Out for some beers this evening and one of the guys was chatting about who his new boss was at work with one of the other lads as if we should have heard of him. Wasn't a name I've ever heard of, but apparently he used to be pretty handy and is on the front cover of Running is Easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Out for some beers this evening and one of the guys was chatting about who his new boss was at work with one of the other lads as if we should have heard of him. Wasn't a name I've ever heard of, but apparently he used to be pretty handy and is on the front cover of Running is Easy.

My very first running book.
    A good interview with him on marathon talk a couple of weeks back. Seems to be a bit of a character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Thought this was funny, When Can I Talk About My Poop?: A Runner’s Conversation Guide. Guess I don't know any fellow runners well enough yet ;)

I'm half thinking it might all be a big joke being played on me, but flying off to Greece next week to sort out some new business somehow seems wrong. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

For the craic you should dress up as Osama Bin Laden and run it. You'd get plenty of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Luis suarez has expressed his sadness at hearing that one of the monkees was dead."which one was it?" he asked, "Ferdinand or Evra?"

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Fate is conspiring against me.

Took up running and cycling....so far 4 inuries and now recovering from surgery...really missing the running and bored out of me skull at home.

Sick of telly, reading and almost sick of the computer.

Today I'm trying something new...a bottle of gin and one of my wife's dresses:P

• Advertisement

upthe19th wrote: »
    Fate is conspiring against me.

Took up running and cycling....so far 4 inuries and now recovering from surgery...really missing the running and bored out of me skull at home.

Sick of telly, reading and almost sick of the computer.

Today I'm trying something new...a bottle of gin and one of my wife's dresses:P

So here we are...not according to plan...

I started on the gin first, not a good idea. It took me 45 minutes to pick out a dress, a further 30 minutes to pick out shoes and when I finally settled on a bag, it suited neither. I stumbled in the shoes, breaking a heel and the strap of the bag on the way down.

So here I am, middle of the afternoon, sitting on the couch, drunk, half an hour before my wife comes home, mug of gin in one hand, broken lipstick in the other, mascara running down from face from despair and exasperation, in a dress that screams "what were you thinking" (that is to say it does nothing for my figure)...and I have just had an epiphany..

If I continue with my 2 mile a week regime and then change my high5 gels for high5 plus gels, I could go sub 3 for the dublin city marathon:D;)

Hey, what are you looking at?!:mad:

Pics or it didn't happen. :D

Pics or it didn't happen. :D

no way man...going to papers with them...25,000 easy

story to read " Man driven over the edge after his wife and her friend pose in sexy photo shoot with robinph":D:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Big Country on the Late Late - a blast from the past:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

gerard65 wrote: »
    Big Country on the Late Late - a blast from the past:eek:

You're old dude. You need to check into an old folks home ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Dont think i can remember Man Utd getting so badly outplayed in Old Trafford before. Great to watch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Dont think i can remember Man Utd getting so badly outplayed in Old Trafford before. Great to watch :D

^ Down with this sort of thing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Soft goal at the end there. Should be a great game in Bilbao.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So I pack all my gear this morning for a lunch time run, all bases covered, gloves and hat if it's cold, rain jacket if it rains. Office is quiet so I pop into the server room to get changed, all geared up and ready to go. Hang on a sec, where's me bloody runners ?!

I don't think today is the day I'll give barefoot running a go.

Just seen via bookface that I know one of the lads in a dress on the cover of todays Independant. :D

• Advertisement

Another national medal for me today. :D

This time only a bronze in the "old blokes"* cross country championships, but still I'm happy that I managed to win the mini battle within our own team to have been the last counter.

*M35-44 category, but it's getting tougher as more M35-39 year olds realise they can enter the vets championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Wonder what an insurance company would make of a claim for elephant damage in a car park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Possibly the greatest news I've ever heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrNA7RjU91I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

tunguska wrote: »
    Possibly the greatest news I've ever heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrNA7RjU91I

:) .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Mods: What's the story with the needing a gold account to view pictures?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Hope I get an invite to the yacht.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What date is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

What date is it?
    Glad I read this thread. Would have got caught on something stupid otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

What's a gold account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm8gLIS4ygA

Maradona and Liam Gallagher sing as a Manchester club wins it's first league title in 44 years, delighted for the people of Manchester :D

Advertisement