Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Stephen Hawking, the LHC, a composition ode to "Principia Mathematica"...beats the pants off Russell Grant signing "I am the Walrus". The Brits are going to be bankrupt after all this, but by jove they're putting on a great show!
    I'm predicting that your horoscope said you would confuse a once famous astrologer with a long haired philanderer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So in just slightly less than 4 years I've gone from being not even slightly interested in running for a club...to wanting to join BoardsAC so I could wear a matching t-shirt. But now I find myself as the one landed with the team manager role for my club and on the club committee.

It's all Woddles fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

robinph wrote: »
    So in just slightly less than 4 years I've gone from being not even slightly interested in running for a club...to wanting to join BoardsAC so I could wear a matching t-shirt. But now I find myself as the one landed with the team manager role for my club and on the club committee.

It's all Woddles fault.
    tumblr_lv5lifxVNE1qi5zdv.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

rom wrote: »
    tumblr_lv5lifxVNE1qi5zdv.png

I think we should keep that image as response to all the inevitable "I trained for 6 months and now DCM entry has closed" posts in a couple of weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Actually now half wondering about entering DCM this year myself. Was on for doing Washington marathon, but other things have got in the way and the cost of flights etc make it now not really worth the bother and I've not really trained enough as I wanted to for that race...but still intend to do an autumn marathon.

Option 1 - fly to Dublin, plod around the course, drink beer.
    Option 2 - a week later and a drive across country, plod around a trail course and see if I can better my 8th placed position from last year...then attempt to drive back with sore legs. :eek:

The first option is more expensive and would mean skiving off work for two days but it's actually easier to get to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Actually now half wondering about entering DCM this year myself. Was on for doing Washington marathon, but other things have got in the way and the cost of flights etc make it now not really worth the bother and I've not really trained enough as I wanted to for that race...but still intend to do an autumn marathon.

Option 1 - fly to Dublin, plod around the course, drink beer.
    Option 2 - a week later and a drive across country, plod around a trail course and see if I can better my 8th placed position from last year...then attempt to drive back with sore legs. :eek:

The first option is more expensive and would mean skiving off work for two days but it's actually easier to get to?

I vote option 1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I think we should keep that image as response to all the inevitable "I trained for 6 months and now DCM entry has closed" posts in a couple of weeks.

And use this image in response to expensive 10kms etc.

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Seems that comic books are not based on reality. I thought that me running a ten mile race today starting and finishing at a nuclear power station would result in me gaining super human powers via some mutant fly and would then be able to smash my pb from Mallow 10 back in March.

Must not have swallowed enough mutant insects as I was two minutes slower. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

I got a tour of one of the local gyms yesterday & spotted this on the wall where the indoor running track was, just imagine doing 60 tight laps to cover just five miles :eek:

20120920_140058.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

opus wrote: »
    I got a tour of one of the local gyms yesterday & spotted this on the wall where the indoor running track was, just imagine doing 60 tight laps to cover just five miles :eek:

20120920_140058.jpg
    Still better than a tm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Right, if Mayo lose today - I'm never running again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Right, if Mayo lose today. - I'm never running again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Right, if Mayo lose today. - I'm never running again.

....one should say "never"....;)

Knocked my arm relatively lightly off some road sign as I was running through town this evening, no harm done so was just about to carry on. Then I noticed something orange bounce off the footpath behind me. Quick look at my wrist and realised there was something missing.

One Garmin with a busted strap on the floor. :eek:

Seems that it is actually just the pin that holds the strap in has got itself bent to a funneh shape, so off to find a jewelers tomorrow and get a new pin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Knocked my arm relatively lightly off some road sign as I was running through town this evening, no harm done so was just about to carry on. Then I noticed something orange bounce off the footpath behind me. Quick look at my wrist and realised there was something missing.

One Garmin with a busted strap on the floor. :eek:

Seems that it is actually just the pin that holds the strap in has got itself bent to a funneh shape, so off to find a jewelers tomorrow and get a new pin.
    Have you tried doing a hard reset? ;)

Is this the toughest 400m race in the world? Love to give it a try!

It would be good to have the balls to do that course in the opposite direction in winter, I know I'd break my neck though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I wonder how fast David Rudisha would go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I was going to complain that I was away last week and how hard it was to run a decent distance in 27 degree heat, but then yesterday evening I had driving wind and rain into my face stinging the crap out of it. Can't say I missed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Was anybody else watching Chicago?
    Great run by Kebede to dispel the ghosts of 2010. A course record and a massive negative split to boot. He ground the 7 leaders down over the last 10k. Nice to see Lilesa the 2010 DCM winner break 2:05 as well in 2nd place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Krusty want to try go sub60 on that course to complete your Big10 challenge :P

Hard to know what sort of runner it would suit, its certainly going to be wayy longer time than a flat 400, however would a 800/1500 runner have the strength?

And Robinph, opp direction hmmm, they all ready do that over in the UK with cheese rolling, that results in several broken limbs every year!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Congrats on the XC win today Timmaay. The great news is that we're inelligible for future county novice xc races. If you keep this up, you may never have to run XC again. :)

Timmaay wrote: »

Hard to know what sort of runner it would suit, its certainly going to be wayy longer time than a flat 400, however would a 800/1500 runner have the strength?

And Robinph, opp direction hmmm, they all ready do that over in the UK with cheese rolling, that results in several broken limbs every year!
    I was thinking with skis on and seeing where you land and with how many intact limbs, it being a ski jump after all. Not sure if the cheese rolling will happen again now as it's been banned the last couple of years due to spectators rather than injuries to competitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

The film Munich about the terrorist attack on the Israeli athletes during the 72 Olympics is on RTE 2 tonight at 9:30 - well worth a watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    The film Munich about the terrorist attack on the Israeli athletes during the 72 Olympics is on RTE 2 tonight at 9:30 - well worth a watch.

Actually, it's a Hollywood film very loosely based on those events with plenty of "artistic license".

Marmite oven baked cashews - FTW nyom nyom!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Marmite oven baked cashews - FTW nyom nyom!!
    I see that and raise you warm out of the oven banana and hazelnut bread with nutella nyom nyom!

I see that and raise you warm out of the oven banana and hazelnut bread with nutella nyom nyom!

Was your banana and hazelnut bread flanked by 2 Mojitos - ha
    472223_10151077908256356_2144349783_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

/\ one guy, one cup, lube, nuts and alcohol....

:D

• Advertisement

/\ one guy, one cup, lube, nuts and alcohol....

:D

No sh1t!

Advertisement