Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

No sh1t!

Ha ha, very good

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Some of this sounds horribly familiar :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Interesting article on page 10 of todays Mail on Sunday about certain athlete who competed in DCM finishing 17th in 2.30.17 and whose progress was discussed in length on a recently locked thread here... Photo included :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

liamo123 wrote: »
    Interesting article on page 10 of todays Mail on Sunday about certain athlete who competed in DCM finishing 17th in 2.30.17 and whose progress was discussed in length on a recently locked thread here... Photo included :cool:

Searched for it on their online version. Not there. :(

Jaysus, I hope he really did cheat now if he's made the papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Searched for it on their online version. Not there. :(

Jaysus, I hope he really did cheat now if he's made the papers.

Well it looks like they've done their research.. extract from piece A spokeswoman for the Dublin Marathon said ( his name is mentioned in full ) " D.... C..... was disqualified because he did not run the full route "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

liamo123 wrote: »

Well it looks like they've done their research.. extract from piece A spokeswoman for the Dublin Marathon said ( his name is mentioned in full ) " D.... C..... was disqualified because he did not run the full route "
    friends mam spotted a girl doin the same near ucd. no idea of time

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Social media at its best (and most shallow):
    1. Visit Mitt Romney's Facebook page.
    2. Note the number of 'likes' of his facebook page.
    3. Hit [F5] to refresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Social media at its best (and most shallow):
    1. Visit Mitt Romney's Facebook page.
    2. Note the number of 'likes' of his facebook page.
    3. Hit [F5] to refresh.

Just in case anyone is interested in a graphical representation of this:

http://disappearingromney.com/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Won my first parkrun today. :D

Ok, so it was a slower run by me than last week, and the M50 who beat me last time wasn't there...but I'll take the glory... and the coffee and cake after the run as my prize. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Won my first parkrun today. :D

Ok, so it was a slower run by me than last week, and the M50 who beat me last time wasn't there...but I'll take the glory... and the coffee and cake after the run as my prize. :D

I thanked you twice because I think you are THAT amazing.

Stupid duplicate posting phone. :(

But I'll leave the extra post there so I can keep the extra thanks. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Nice story about one man and his Dublin marathon medal.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/12/04/john-gets-his-medal/#comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So was out for a run last night, was crossing and running along side some pretty busy roads so had a high vis/reflective vest on.

Now I don't know if wearing such a clothing item makes you appear more reliable and trustworthy, but I was stopped twice by people looking for directions.

And it's also a lot harder to find somewhere discrete to go for a pee. Bushes aren't even a safe haven as you're lit up by any nearby lighting so you end up just looking like a safety conscious perv.

Try going for a pee in the Phoenix Park when you've got a big flag on your back saying 3:30, trying not to get tangled up in the trees with the flag, and a few hundred people cheering you on. :o

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So was out for a run last night, was crossing and running along side some pretty busy roads so had a high vis/reflective vest on.

Now I don't know if wearing such a clothing item makes you appear more reliable and trustworthy, but I was stopped twice by people looking for directions.

And it's also a lot harder to find somewhere discrete to go for a pee. Bushes aren't even a safe haven as you're lit up by any nearby lighting so you end up just looking like a safety conscious perv.

There was an interesting social experiment done before about people trusting those in reflective gear. From what I can remember, a person donned one of those reflective waist jackets that are everywhere these days and went around telling people what to do. Everyone obeyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    There was an interesting social experiment done before about people trusting those in reflective gear. From what I can remember, a person donned one of those reflective waist jackets that are everywhere these days and went around telling people what to do. Everyone obeyed.

I was helping out at the WMM last year and had a high viz jacket on. I got asked anything and everything from 'where are the toilets?' to where 'I'm supposed to meet my friends here, have you seen them?'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nearly got nobbled by a dog walker last night.
    Right at the end of my run, I'm on the path, see woman, dog (greyhound) and young boy, it's dark. Dogs is on the path, woman moves onto the grass verge, boys stays close to the wall so all is good, I slow down, pick my line and run straight into a black lead FFS :mad:. Nearly do a flip over it, but managed to keep my balance.
    After several expletives from me and an equal number of apologies from her, I'm off up the road scratching my head at her stupidity and I've 2 nice welts across my legs.

In the words of hill street blues - 'be careful out there'

• Advertisement

Three separate deliveries from Wiggle over the last couple of days and not one free bag of Haribo included in the boxes. :(

robinph wrote: »
    Three separate deliveries from Wiggle over the last couple of days and not one free bag of Haribo included in the boxes. :(

Haribo in boxes? I got two deliveries of bike stuff last week but didn't really go through the boxes. Are you telling me there is a chance that there is haribo in one or both of these? :eek:

Haribo in boxes? I got two deliveries of bike stuff last week but didn't really go through the boxes. Are you telling me there is a chance that there is haribo in one or both of these? :eek:

Yep, most deliveries I get from them include a small packet of Haribo thrown in as well. With the amount I just spent with them I was expecting enough Haribo to really mess up my insulin needs, but got none.

Disaster averted. Found some Haribo in the sealed box that the turbo was in, rather th the Wiggle box where I expected to find them.

I've never got free haribo from wiggle :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Feck off...it was an understrength team:rolleyes:...we need to buy a LOT of players in January!!

Photo finish but was it a fair body check?

http://t.co/XeSXAoVY

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Can you have a fair shoulder in running? Doubt the guy who was about to win was expecting it and it clearly put his off his stride and made him fall.

• Advertisement

Should be disqualified for that as a lot of the comments on the video were saying. No need for it at all.

Advertisement