Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Senator Fidelma Healy Eames raised the issue of when someone's Facebook account is changed by someone else, and said teenagers are literally living in a parallel universe.

maybe they ran away to escape her
    incidentally
    SEVERAL Fine Gael members of the Oireachtas who are opposed to the government’s plan to legislate for abortion are flying to America on a “fact-finding mission” paid for by a pro-life group.

Senators Fidelma Healy Eames and Paul Bradford have confirmed they will be on the trip organised by Family & Life to coincide with St Patrick’s Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That was really a bizarre comment from Coughlan wasn't it. No surprise from Eames though, as well as travelling courtesy of that pro life lobby she has come up with previous dingers such as asking manufacturers to incorporate some sort of auto shut down functionality into their consoles capping the amount of time teens spend on them so they don't all die of DVT, she was also fined and had her car impounded for non payment of car tax, and was caught fair dodging on a train and wasn't she involved in some sort of shenanigans about the non payment to a builder for her jacuzzi at home.

How the hell does someone like this become a senator, I think she lost 3 elections she went for, so who nominated her to the seanad ? She'll perfect fodder for the abolishment of the seanad when that referendum comes around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I can see a sense in having an unelected house that has no real power, but can wield a minor advisory opinion over the lower elected house which could get carried away with itself with a majority and do daft things. Ireland never has a majority elected house due to the PR, and putting the completely unelectable into the upper house is daft in the extreme. The upper house should be filled with former politicians or people with actual experience of something that warrants them getting that honour, not failed politicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Don't miss your run or race tomorrow - clocks go forward!
    1hr less sleep tonight, but an extra hours running every evening :D
    578091_627208937304978_61550841_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

rom wrote: »

Neither of them got medals because they did not meet the minimum medals standard !

http://masterstrack.com/2013/03/24668/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

Just watching Graham Norton (on repeat on 3E I think) and Mo Farah is getting a good slagging about doing things "by half", like doing the Daddy's race in his daughter's school and stopping half way :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

plodder wrote: »
    Just watching Graham Norton (on repeat on 3E I think) and Mo Farah is getting a good slagging about doing things "by half", like doing the Daddy's race in his daughter's school and stopping half way :)

He is mentioned in a few news articles about the marathon now as being "hurt" by suggestions that he's only doing it for the money. Well he should just give up on the story about him needing to practice doing only half of it then, it's clearly for the money and anything about him not being used to preparing for a big race or running in front of big crowds is a lie.

robinph wrote: »
    He is mentioned in a few news articles about the marathon now as being "hurt" by suggestions that he's only doing it for the money. Well he should just give up on the story about him needing to practice doing only half of it then, it's clearly for the money and anything about him not being used to preparing for a big race or running in front of big crowds is a lie.

totally for the money. he was like very quite on the show and only gave a reaction when he heard a crazy sum like 300k for a yoga lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

Nice interview on late late show with Ricky Simms. Just finishing up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

0/ I don't usually post here, but I need to rant :pac:

Just back from my regular three miles (total shock to the system to find myself running in warmth and sunshine :eek:). Ballsbridge is absolutely thronged with people, not one of whom stood aside or moved in to let me pass. Only one person apologised in response to my loud 'excuse me', but he didn't actually move to allow me pass. I really fucking hate pavement hoggers :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Hermione* wrote: »
    0/ I don't usually post here, but I need to rant :pac:

Just back from my regular three miles (total shock to the system to find myself running in warmth and sunshine :eek:). Ballsbridge is absolutely thronged with people, not one of whom stood aside or moved in to let me pass. Only one person apologised in response to my loud 'excuse me', but he didn't actually move to allow me pass. I really fucking hate pavement hoggers :mad:
    ,do u expect them to walk on the roads?do u expect people out for a morning stroll to jump outta ur way,as u bail up the pavement,.......Rq..u shud know better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Almost on-topic: http://running.competitor.com/2013/05/news/marathoner-runs-down-robber-in-ireland_74226
    Never underestimate a runner.

According the the Irish Central Web site, a man who is training for the annual Cork City Marathon ran down a robber and apprehended him.

The incident took place in the Irish city of Cork last Wednesday evening. An elderly woman was knocked to the ground by the assailant. He then snatched her handbag and ran.

The hero, a 24-year-old, heard the woman’s cries and took off after the mugger.

The chase lasted 15 minutes with the result of an apprehended assailant and the retrieval of some of the woman’s possessions from her purse.

“The young man who assisted in this incident should be commended for his civic spirit,” said Police Superintendent Barry McPolin. “It was obvious that he was extremely fit because he was able to keep running for so long.”

The hero wishes to remain anonymous, but his friend had this to say about him: “He didn’t hesitate and he was in training for the Cork City Marathon so he was always going to keep up with the man who stole the handbag.”

By the way if you do something good you are a runner, but if something bad happens to you, you are a jogger:

Pit bull terriers 'killed' Los Angeles jogger

Sydney pitbull attack: Jogger Rob Nelson 'screamed for mercy' as police announce dogs will be destroyed

Moral of the story - be a runner not a jogger.

This weekend I'll be racing some thoroughbred burgers across Wales as part of a relay team:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

God, I havent been here in a long time ....:o

Iv been running though and everything else.

Was nice too see a familiar face (Eamon and Jo, Niall) throughout the day in Cork today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

The East German women were famous for underarm hair while raising their arms after another blistering victory in the Olympics.
    One such athelete was very concerned when she developed hair on her chest. She went to her doctor and explained her embarassing
    problem. "how far down does the hair go" said the doctor, to which she replied......"all the way down to me mickey"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Gringo78 wrote: »
    The East German women were famous for underarm hair while raising their arms after another blistering victory in the Olympics.

Hilarious. All adults, male or female, grow hair under their arms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Hilarious. All adults, male or female, grow hair under their arms.
    Im not a doctor, but Im pretty sure not *all* female athletes have mickeys tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Heard this mentioned on Marathon Talk, funny pic of the people running with Ryan Hall (for the first few hundred metres at least) at the Bay to Breakers race in the US. The guy in the khakis make me laugh!

Hall_RyanSt1f-BayBreakers13.jpg

At least looks like he saw the funny side of it :)

Hall_Ryan1b-BayBreakers13.jpg

A photo taken from my local parkrun a couple of weeks ago:
    9113389759_538077a760.jpg

Could really do with some zombie photoshopped into it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

why are there always hot girls gracing the cover of Runners' World? do people here take it seriously as a good running mag? do the wimmen on the front make you more or less likely to buy it or does that even enter into your consciousness? why can't they have guys on the cover? sex sells? or does it in this case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ososlo wrote: »
    why are there always hot girls gracing the cover of Runners' World? do people here take it seriously as a good running mag?
    I take the cover seriously, that's about it. Good thread on LetsRun about the cover models.

How to get on the cover of Runner's World:
    Stay under 25mpw
    Do lots of crossfit
    Get your teeth capped shiny white
    Heel strike
    Get tanned
    Smile a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well, at least I heel strike!!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

**Assumes grumpy old man, back in my day stance**

Does anyone else think Ice-creams are too hard these days? I got a HB iceberger and it was tough work biting into it. I know they are kept in the freezer but I don't remember them ever being that hard in my younger care free days. And before any points it out, yes I could wait till it melts a little, but who wants to wait around for ice-cream to melt.

Maybe I should take it as a sign to stay away from ice-cream during a training cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

antomagoo wrote: »
    **Assumes grumpy old man, back in my day stance**

Does anyone else think Ice-creams are too hard these days? I got a HB iceberger and it was tough work biting into it. I know they are kept in the freezer but I don't remembuer them ever being that hard in my younger care free days. And before any points it out, yes I could wait till it melts a little, but who wants to wait around for ice-cream to melt.

Maybe I should take it as a sign to stay away from ice-cream during a training cycle.

Iceberg's...food of the gods!!!

• Advertisement

I think the famous boardsie marathon finish line jump has some competition in the artistic merit scoring with a Kung-Fu variation taking place at my local parkrun last weekend:

9280864569_fa84d54dc6.jpg

Advertisement