Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    You can tell Quirky's on holidays, or he'd be banned already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There has been a lot of debate on here recently about the tendency for new runners to skip over the shorter distances and concentrate on marathons with a goal of finishing being good enough for many of us.

I'm in this boat myself, planning a marathon later in the year in what will be my 2nd year running.

However I would like to spend a year concentrating on the shorter races to see where it takes me.

Anyway, I read the following article by Lauren Fleshman over on Runners world, it's basically a pitch for running and focusing on the 5K distance. Interesting read.

http://www.runnersworld.com/5k-training-plans/10-reasons-the-5k-is-freaking-awesome?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-RunnerStories-_-5KAwesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

adrian522 wrote: »
    There has been a lot of debate on here recently about the tendency for new runners to skip over the shorter distances and concentrate on marathons with a goal of finishing being good enough for many of us.

I'm in this boat myself, planning a marathon later in the year in what will be my 2nd year running.

However I would like to spend a year concentrating on the shorter races to see where it takes me.

Anyway, I read the following article by Lauren Fleshman over on Runners world, it's basically a pitch for running and focusing on the 5K distance. Interesting read.

http://www.runnersworld.com/5k-training-plans/10-reasons-the-5k-is-freaking-awesome?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-RunnerStories-_-5KAwesome

Interesting read and some good points made. One thing I will say is that for me 5k training is WAY harder than marathon training. 400s, 800s, 1600s are hell. A 20 mile run is fun. I'm sure it's a lot harder if you're chasing a specific fast time but still, I'd consider a few mp miles in a long run as easy compared to one of the above sessions. Personally speaking anyways... Maybe I'm just made for endurance and not speed and others will disagree with me.
    I'd also say that injury chances are just as high if not higher for 5k training. Most of marathon training is slow and easy (for novice marathoners anyways) and if built up slowly and sensibly should not bring on injury, but if you're doing serious 5k training, it's very intense and injury chances are extremely high if recoveries are not managed well or if one is prone to injury.
    Is this off topic:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

adrian522 wrote: »

Awesome article, my favourite bit:
    Style: No fuel belts. No water bottles. No gels or blocks or powders or bars. No shorts with 30 pockets. No Vaseline stains. You can run a 5-K in shorts with nary a chafe. 5-K for the win. Who's with me?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, she does gloss over the pain involved in some of those interval sessions, but I'd certainly like to spend some time at the shorter distances to see what I can do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Tom Joad wrote: »

Myself and the Ger just love running past fat miserable people with no self worth or basic training routine.” explained the father of two university graduates. “People just look at us and are completely envious of our chiselled physique and harmonic comradery. You can tell by their jealous stares that they only wish they were as athletic and successful in life and marriage as us two are.”
    “And to be honest: nothing tingles my bollocks more than that feeling of superiority.” he added. “Call us smug if you will. I’d call it ‘winning’.”
    Smug pricks account for 12% of the Irish population
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Watching paint dry has nothing on watching your newly seeded lawn waiting for any signs of it sprouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Lego Movie waiting for me when I get home. Everything is awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

PaulieC wrote: »

Except that song. And don't get me started on Frozen. Sorry, thought this was Rants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

cianc wrote: »
    Except that song. And don't get me started on Frozen. Sorry, thought this was Rants.

Frozen is muck alright.

Saw the first 30 minutes or so over the weekend, I loved it.

cianc wrote: »
    Frozen is muck alright.

My 4 year old is into her 7th or 8th month of her obsession with it. I still haven't seen it but can still sing every song from it.

cianc, you need to let it go, let it go....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Frozen is muck alright.

ah...let it go......;-)

I actually think they're both pretty good kids movies (well, maybe the world doesn't need another film about skinny princesses), but like ThisRegard says, the music is designed to turn 4 year olds into broken records with no off switch :(

I don't regularly post here, but I just wanted to throw a post in this thread.

Today I received my Saucony ProGrid Ride 6 runners from StartFitness. I'm fairly sure it was this forum that, a couple of years back, Saucony Ride 2 came highly recommended to me.

Anyway, I love the Ride 2 and they'd served me well (about 3 years with irregular use, but did more than their job. Owed me nothing). The Ride 6 shoes, out of the box, are like wearing clouds on my feet. It's almost hard to describe that soft, bouncy feel I'm getting in them.

So just wanted to put up a general thanks post to all of ye who contribute here. It may have been a while ago that he advice/recommendations were given to me, but Saucony runners (a brand I'd have never heard of or trusted otherwise) make my running so much more enjoyable.

Thank you to all ye guys for having a welcoming and inviting forum to post in (and not for tossing out or in-joking towards posters who are new to everything*).

Thank you :D

*that kind of attitude could well be prevalent in this forum, but I haven't really noticed it myself, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Saw the first 30 minutes or so over the weekend, I loved it.

My 4 year old is into her 7th or 8th month of her obsession with it. I still haven't seen it but can still sing every song from it.

cianc, you need to let it go, let it go....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/5672750/wife-leaves-husband-because-he-doesnt-like-disneys-frozen.html?CMP=SOC-Sun-Facebook-11_20_2013-191-0-0-0

So today Mrs ThisRegard had to cut short her maternity leave and go to the office for a few hours today, meaning that littlest ThisRegard had to pop into his creche for a few hours today. It was all very emotional for his mammy but he'll be grand, more babies and people for him to be shouting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

blockic wrote: »

Stupid fcuker deserves to go hungry!

• Advertisement

A pretty shocking story from America which shows how bad car culture has become.

Dad Arrested For Picking Up Kids At School By Foot http://www.theurbancountry.com/2013/11/dad-arrested-for-picking-up-kids-at-school-by-foot.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

A pretty shocking story from America which shows how bad car culture has become.

Dad Arrested For Picking Up Kids At School By Foot http://www.theurbancountry.com/2013/11/dad-arrested-for-picking-up-kids-at-school-by-foot.html

Some schools here dont allow kids to cycle and they must be picked up for insurance reasons.

Yeah, insurance reasons is what I figured. The story popped into my head again this morning when driving out of my estate to the office and a car pulled out of a street just ahead of me, full of kids being dropped off to school. No word of a lie, the school was 500 metres from where the car came from, and with the queue of cars they literally could have walked quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

That is absolutely ridiculous. Hardly surprising that the country is awash with obesity when you see sh1t like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

Chivito550 wrote: »
    That is absolutely ridiculous. Hardly surprising that the country is awash with obesity when you see sh1t like that.

Holy god I thought it was going to be a joke. That is crazy. How do groups of people get to that point before just one person says. Hang on guys this is some crazy s##t

"Why do some people never seem to get fat?"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7838668.stm

(Not a proper scientific trial so take with a pinch of salt etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Gives me the heebie-jeebies.

There was a guy doing the IMRA race on Wednesday wearing a pair.

The point of view stuff looks pretty cool (from a spectator perspective and race analysis), though it could do with some image stabilization.
    I like the idea of strava-type app for glass (I know there is one, but can't find a video of what it looks like), but it would have to be fairly unobtrusive. I definitely don't want my splits/time/pace in my face all the time.

• Advertisement

Gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Why? It's just a camera. People have had access to small, unobtrusive cameras for a long time. I'll admit, the music is a bit ominous :)

Advertisement