Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

cianc wrote: »
    Why? It's just a camera. People have had access to small, unobtrusive cameras for a long time. I'll admit, the music is a bit ominous :)
    Because it captures the fear, anticipation and adrenaline of lining up in the blocks for a track race.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Because it captures the fear, anticipation and adrenaline of lining up in the blocks for a track race.

Oh that sure, don't mind me, too much time talking to internet paranoiacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

opus wrote: »
    ha ha I must put that up on the novices forum:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

That's superb. Love the oatmeal.

• Advertisement

First time this has happened, was out for a bit of run along the Marina in Cork yesterday afternoon and ended up catching up to a group out taking post-wedding pics. Hopefully I didn't appear in any of their photos to spoil them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Can we just point to this in future, any time anyone mentions ionic bands, barefoot running, paleo diets, acupuncture, Karl Henry, Chinese medicine, Jamaican doping allegations, Alberto Salazar, beetroot juice, chia seeds, yoga, or porridge?

2012-01-09-redflags2.jpg

Can we just point to this in future, any time anyone mentions ionic bands, barefoot running, paleo diets, acupuncture, Karl Henry, Chinese medicine, Jamaican doping allegations, Alberto Salazar, beetroot juice, chia seeds, yoga, or porridge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF6SNxNIV08

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

an important victory for the CCP

Spotted on the front of one of the freebie Cork papers earlier, ticks a surprising number of boxes from that chart :pac:

2vxgmxj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Are you trying to put the Daily Mail out of business or something?

I've a Garmin 620 which likes to give a vo2 max estimate, it's been pretty consistent for me over the last few months after the initial jumping around. Was interesting to see the effect of jet lag when I got back from the US west coast after midnight on Sunday last.

Went out for a jog on Monday evening feeling ok, had a look afterwards and no change according to the watch. Felt like a zombie on Tues which the 620 agreed with as afterwards the vo2 max estimate had dropped by 3! This morning is the first day I've felt like myself again so went out for a bit of a run before work and happy to see the 620 has bumped me up by 1. Hopefully will be back to normal in the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I've a Garmin 620 which likes to give a vo2 max estimate, it's been pretty consistent for me over the last few months after the initial jumping around. Was interesting to see the effect of jet lag when I got back from the US west coast after midnight on Sunday last.

Went out for a jog on Monday evening feeling ok, had a look afterwards and no change according to the watch. Felt like a zombie on Tues which the 620 agreed with as afterwards the vo2 max estimate had dropped by 3! This morning is the first day I've felt like myself again so went out for a bit of a run before work and happy to see the 620 has bumped me up by 1. Hopefully will be back to normal in the next week or two.

I only wear HR on easy runs and I am doing much harder sessions. It has dropped in mine also even though I am running much better.

Moved house recently and now all my running gear is in one spot as opposed to scattered around the place. Realised I've way too many t-shirts (& I mean way!) so a visit to the charity shop with a big bag full of random race gear is coming up this weekend.

I even had the shirt from my first marathon in Cork '10 and that one is really a piece of crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

Ok - my guilty secret - I have every free shirt that I've ever been given at a race since 1999 in a couple of boxes in my attic. I've very rarely worn a race 'souvenir' shirt, usually only when I end up with a duplicate somehow.

I'll get my coat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

:)Which race gave the coat
    Mick Rice wrote: »
    Ok - my guilty secret - I have every free shirt that I've ever been given at a race since 1999 in a couple of boxes in my attic. I've very rarely worn a race 'souvenir' shirt, usually only when I end up with a duplicate somehow.

I'll get my coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

(They've also closed the feckin' rant thread)

Now that's going too far - is there nothing sacred ? Over 3,300 posts & 231,000 views in less that a year, it's like meltdown here because some cynical pr1ck decides to play with people & use them for research. Bet he's laughing now. Feel sorry for those who genuinely believed him & tried to defend him. He betrayed their trust most of all.

And yes, that was a rant :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

kit3 wrote: »
    Now that's going too far - is there nothing sacred ? Over 3,300 posts & 231,000 views in less that a year, it's like meltdown here because some cynical pr1ck decides to play with people & use them for research. Bet he's laughing now. Feel sorry for those who genuinely believed him & tried to defend him. He betrayed their trust most of all.

And yes, that was a rant :(

People take things too seriously around here.
    It's an anonymous outlet here where people can take on any persona they like.
    Some people are open as to their identity and others not so much, I would have thought people would bear that in mind when conversing with a username and not a face....

Trick is not to take things to heart and leave the left on the shelf type anger and resentment to the After Hours crowd :)

Trolls look to provoke a reaction.

If you react, they win, you lose.

If you continue reacting after they leave, they are continuing to win, you are continuing to lose.

The way to improve the forum is to post more of the things you think the forum should include, do more of the things you think the forum is best at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Perhaps more seriously, people should do a double check on just who they're dealing with. It got a bit catfishy.

I think the rant forum creates unnecessary tension and serves no purpose in the ART forum.

It started off as a fun thread related to art but soon turned into the worst of after hours with it leaking into other threads and creating hostility among members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Perhaps more seriously, people should do a double check on just who they're dealing with. It got a bit catfishy.

I think the rant forum creates unnecessary tension and serves no purpose in the ART forum.

It started off as a fun thread related to art but soon turned into the worst of after hours with it leaking into other threads and creating hostility among members.

Is it too soon for an A/R Forum Feedback thread?

Might be worth considering one in the next while anyway. When was the last one actually?

Sacksian wrote: »
    Is it too soon for an A/R Forum Feedback thread?

Might be worth considering one in the next while anyway. When was the last one actually?

They're good ideas, but if one was started now it would only be about one thing, and you'd want more general feedback on the forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

nerraw1111 wrote: »

That's the truth. In my opinion if people genuinely want to discuss Athletics here then there is no place for that thread. There is an off-topic thread already.

There seems to be an almost unwritten rule that "anything goes" on it. After hours is the place for that. It takes away from this forum. If people genuinely want to get back to a place where all users can feel comfortable and welcome to constructively discuss AR then there should be no place for it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

T runner wrote: »
    That's the truth. In my opinion if people genuinely want to discuss Athletics here then there is no place for that thread. There is an off-topic thread already.

There seems to be an almost unwritten rule that "anything goes" on it. After hours is the place for that. It takes away from this forum. If people genuinely want to get back to a place where all users can feel comfortable and welcome to constructively discuss AR then there should be no place for it IMO.

In a democratic environment (run by tyrant mods :D ) the rant thread should stay. Afterall, the stats show that it's one of the most popular threads on the AR forum.

Don't like it? Don't follow it. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Gavlor wrote: »
    In a democratic environment (run by tyrant mods :D ) the rant thread should stay. Afterall, the stats show that it's one of the most popular threads on the AR forum.

But there are other places on Boards that cater to that need, no requirement to have it in ART regardless of how popular it is.
    "The mob" isn't always right

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just copying these handy links over to this thread for people incase they get lost on the way:
    me wrote:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Gavlor wrote: »

Democracy is one person one vote. It seems more or less the same core group of 10 users or so use it all the time. With the vast amount of posts this means cliques and cliques are the death of objective topic related fora.

If you want an open objective forum welcome and respectful to ALL people with an interest in AR then have only one general off topic thread for off topic chit chat.

If you want the forum to turn into a permanent hangout for small groups of like minded pals, then have spat threads. And put a closed sign on the AR door for anyone who might love to discuss AR but does not fit or want to fit into any of these dominating cliques.

Advertisement