Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Biggest in numbers, but far from the biggest in terms of Athletics prestige.

Yes, that's what I meant. I'll specify next time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Yes, that's what I meant. I'll specify next time!

Technically the WMM has more numbers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Technically the WMM has more numbers :)

Sh1te! Should have thought that one through....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Sh1te! Should have thought that one through....:)

We'll just call it the biggest athletics day of the year.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Don't know where my comment is gone but yes. 14,000 people would be classified as the biggest.

More elite international runners and top Irish runners than in any other Irish race I can think of

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    More elite international runners and top Irish runners than in any other Irish race I can think of

yep, definitely one of the most prestigious races in Ireland. Right up there with the Cork City Sports meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    If a mod is carding someone here they are doing it with a heavy heart- they signed up thinking they would be helping out or giving back to a running community. It's pretty sh1t when you see the crap that goes on behind the scenes as a mod with posters demanding fairness.

If you care about this being a viable athletics/running forum at all, cop yourself on and give up the drama crap about rules and start posting more about athletics/running. That goes for everyone that wants to come here and learn about athletic/running rather than be entertained. Otherwise put your name forward as a mod- but I guarantee you would not believe the garbage that will fill your day to dull something that has erstwhile been a hobby.

Yes there may be crap going on behind the scene and that's fair enough. I am sure the mods are dealing with that the best they can. It's the crap that's going on in full view for all to see that goes, let's say unnoticed. So like a lot of things a "heavy heart" can be selective I suppose.
    Have a look at my posts, I am open to correction but I don't spend my time posting "crap about rules" as you put it, so your suggestion to cop myself on is laughable. That comment may be applicable to others but certainly not me so I'd suggest you find someone else to try and shout down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

No, it shows the Mod was spot on!

Ok, that's that then so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you have a problem with a mod's decisions, PM the mod.
    If you are unhappy with their answer, PM an Admin and escalate it.

Complaining about mod decisions in forum drags the forum away from what it should be discussing. And it is impossible for a mod to fairly moderate a discussion about moderation on their forum.

So complaining about mod decisions in forum, and in-thread, is a cardable offence. This is applied all over boards (in some cases a lot more strictly than in here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Am I going mad or can you not tag a youtube clip on boards using firefox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

A friend kept telling me that I had to watch Breaking Bad as I'd never seen a single episode so watched e01 this evening. Am I now doomed to be sucked in like a moth to a candle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

opus wrote: »
    A friend kept telling me that I had to watch Breaking Bad as I'd never seen a single episode so watched e01 this evening. Am I now doomed to be sucked in like a moth to a candle?

Yes but it is brilliant, best thing since Soprano's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Not sure where to post this;
    Should it go in the main events forum - but it isn't directly about the national half, so no.
    Is it for the main A/R forum, again not sure - how relevent is it?
    In light of all the "Taper Madness" posts :D (well, what else can we attribute the last few weeks on the training logs section and the xxxxmara/ultra thread to?)
    Safest bet is here in the off topic section.

Rock 'n' Roll being sued - 'Merica :P
    This Marathon Lawsuit may shake up the running world

Puntastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

b.harte wrote: »
    Should it go in the main events forum - but it isn't directly about the national half, so no.
    In light of all the "Taper Madness" posts :D (well, what else can we attribute the last few weeks on the training logs section and the xxxxmara/ultra thread to?)

Puntastic.

That should go in the Rave thread ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

b.harte wrote: »

Puntastic.

I would like to thank this 10 times. But I can only thank once. So I am thanking this 10 times with this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Half watching Love/Hate here, never really got into it before, Christ, its heavy-hitting stuff. Its a long way from Miley having an affair with Fidelma, and Fr Deveroux questioning his religion.

I've been out of Dublin a good 11 or 12 years now. Is this stuff really in any way representational of any part of the criminal culture in Dublin? Call me a prude, but with this going global, is this really the image we want to represent of the country? yeah, I really have turned into a prude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Half watching Love/Hate here, never really got into it before, Christ, its heavy-hitting stuff. Its a long way from Miley having an affair with Fidelma, and Fr Deveroux questioning his religion.

I've been out of Dublin a good 11 or 12 years now. Is this stuff really in any way representational of any part of the criminal culture in Dublin? Call me a prude, but with this going global, is this really the image we want to represent of the country? yeah, I really have turned into a prude!

Half watching Hawaii 5-0 here always had it down as a top holiday destination, can't believe the amount of lawlessness and underground criminal activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Tonight's episode was pretty tame

Not being part of the criminal underworld myself, I have no idea. :P

• Advertisement

TRR might know

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

TRR might know

I want RFR whacked!

I want RFR whacked!

He's got two Boards doubles!! You'll have to whack all three of them to make sure you got him:D

I want RFR whacked!

It's been done. He won't be a problem anymore around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I think/hope the ban might be a bit of a 'lifetime achievement award' for a lot of posts about this pet topic - a topic which ironically has nothing to do with AR - in different threads, usually posted in the manner of some kind of moral policeman.

I appealed that decision. The admin agreed to remove all reference to me as trolling although nothing could be done about my ban.

My only achievement, and its a hollow one, was persuading local Mods here to add a clause on the AR charter prohibiting bigotry for the benefit of everyone.

If anyone wants to report a bigotted post they can reference that clause which should make moderation easier.

This is my last post.

Good luck with all your running goals.

T runner wrote: »
    I appealed that decision. The admin agreed to remove all reference to me as trolling although nothing could be done about my ban.

My only achievement, and its a hollow one, was persuading local Mods here to add a clause on the AR charter prohibiting bigotry for the benefit of everyone.

If anyone wants to report a bigotted post they can reference that clause which should make moderation easier.

This is my last post.

Good luck with all your running goals.

No :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What's that now, 5 or so long time informative posters gone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The 2 running forums in existence is a bit like when Darts split into 2 organisations in the early 90s. The new forum is like where the PDC was in those early years, with not many of the top players, but like the PDC having Phil Taylor, the new forum has ecoli. Nowadays the PDC is where it is at and the BDO is dying a death. Only time will tell to see if the new forum becomes the PDC of the Irish running forum world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

The 2 running forums in existence is a bit like when Darts split into 2 organisations in the early 90s. The new forum is like where the PDC was in those early years, with not many of the top players, but like the PDC having Phil Taylor, the new forum has ecoli. Nowadays the PDC is where it is at and the BDO is dying a death. Only time will tell to see if the new forum becomes the PDC of the Irish running forum world.

Tis a pity the person behind the new forum couldn't draw a line in the sand and had to resort to bullying a poster on here. Thankfully the posts were removed after some intervention by a kind hearted soul.

If that is the level he has to resort to, to get a kick it's pretty sad really. If he is the nice guy people say he is then it's a funny way of acting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Ah here, what's all this 2nd forum stuff about?
    Genuinely not a clue what's going on here any more between the various hissy fits and spats of the last few months.
    I have backed off on how often I contribute and visit. (no loss to either party there :))
    I used to check here very frequently.
    It seems to me that this place has become almost full of cliques where any contrary opinion against an opinion of a veteran poster - or a poster who is viewed as authoritative is rounded on by people who will blindly follow the lead - even if there is a good debate going.
    It's sad, there are some great people and it used to be very welcoming,
    I might be missing a lot of the positive stuff by not being as frequent but almost every time I check there is a thread that is mostly sh1te.
    I thought it was just that you all have taper madness - is there such a thing as recovery madness as well?
    Anyway, I'm sorry that this place is gone to bits lately but I've no doubt it will bounce back, just frustrating that egos are coming into play a lot - not aimed at anyone, just a generalisation.
    Also, that thread about women long distance runners and their attractiveness - WTF? That wouldn't have been out of place in AfterHours.

Advertisement