Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

What new running forum? Sorry if I'm being completely stupid but I too have no idea what you're talking about Chivito? As for darts, it was sh!te when the BBC had it and it's still sh!te now....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Tis a pity the person behind the new forum couldn't draw a line in the sand and had to resort to bullying a poster on here. Thankfully the posts were removed after some intervention by a kind hearted soul.

If that is the level he has to resort to, to get a kick it's pretty sad really. If he is the nice guy people say he is then it's a funny way of acting.

Who was he bullying? Don't know Andy personally so I'm a complete outsider in all of this.

I just wish T-runner would come back. T-runner was hands down, one of the best posters (and athletes) ART has had....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

I think two running forums is better than one. That's just my two cents! There are extremely knowledgeable and interesting posters on here and the same goes for Mordor by the looks of things so I'm going to use both, unless someone starts laughing at my gimpy gait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Who was he bullying? Don't know Andy personally so I'm a complete outsider in all of this.

I just wish T-runner would come back. T-runner was hands down, one of the best posters (and athletes) ART has had....

It's over and done with in the other 'place' and everything's been deleted so maybe we can draw a line under it all here too FOREVERMORE.

I agree about T-runner. Damn shame...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Got to honest, I'm sick of all the BS on A/R at this point. By all means discuss athletics but if you wish to have off topic/rant threads then discussions are of course going to stray. The whole Stazza debacle has given many a red face or two, the hyper sensitivity of some (in my own view) has caused me to pretty much stop posting less I offend a random section of an Alaskan community or a murder of crows. In fact, I also risk offending posters who are not Alaskan or members of the crow family but rather self appointed protectors of said groups.

I've heard mention, in a derogatory way, of cliques. In my opinion, you can trace back groups of friends being made based on things such as the DCM novice groups etc. Common interests, some training runs together, this is not a bad thing. I had no idea of the "in" jokes between this years group and nor did that bother me. There is a larger group of core runners that I would call friends now that I have built up through the last number of years, some of this years novices will I'm sure continue running and we will in time see them at the various races.

There are far too many keyboard warriors on A/R for my liking these days, too many bluffers and spoofers, for those of you who have gotten dragged into the recent spats, involve yourselves more in the wider real-life running world. Make your own adult decisions on the merits of different people as opposed to letting yourselves be led by those that are insecure or have axes to grind due to shoulder chips.

To the mods, I don't envy your task but thanks to all (both past and present) To those that have given me invaluable advice and hundreds of hours of slagging I also thank but will no doubt see you at all the usual races if I can get my arse back in gear.

Later,

Digger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Eh....I haven't been on boards as much lately, but WTF is going on, and where is everyone going?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

toys been thrown out of prams.

Went all out this year on the halloween decorations for my house:

(Not really my house)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Coverage of the NY marathon today on Eurosport was awful. I know they are just using the official stream but it was basically broken, freezing every few seconds for the majority of the race. How have they not yet figured out a system that is not affected by bumpy roads/wind??!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

pconn062 wrote: »
    Coverage of the NY marathon today on Eurosport was awful. I know they are just using the official stream but it was basically broken, freezing every few seconds for the majority of the race. How have they not yet figured out a system that is not affected by bumpy roads/wind??!

At least it was better than Chicago!
    I watched the replay of the Berlin feed when I got home from Germany and that was excellent. Maybe our American friends could learn a thing or two from the Germans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Credit where credit is due. The US coverage on ESPN was top notch. Barely moved away from the elites, except for ad breaks, and the odd interview, until both races were over. Then once all that was done, then they went with the Caroline Wozniaki, charity, inspirational stories etc. Tim Hutchins on commentary also.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Credit where credit is due. The US coverage on ESPN was top notch. Barely moved away from the elites, except for ad breaks, and the odd interview, until both races were over. Then once all that was done, then they went with the Caroline Wozniaki, charity, inspirational stories etc. Tim Hutchins on commentary also.

How did Caroline Wozniaki get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

How did Caroline Wozniaki get on?

3:26:33

It's a good time, I'd have expected a bit quicker tho, i don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Not sure how this is off topic. :)

Surely it's a good time for any debut marathoner, even a professional sportsperson. Compares well with times by (usually recently retired) pro footballers like Dwight Yorker or Muzzy Izzet, also around the 3:30 mark. These people from other sports train day in, day out, but in a completely different way with completely different goals. Fair pay to her.

gerard_65 wrote: »

I read his book, (the dude who mad the animation not the character!) interesting story, he went from being very overt weight to a decent marathoner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I installed the new Google Fit app on my phone last week, it's quite clever in that it figures out if you're walking/running/cycling. Thought it would be good to at least meet its base goal of 1h of activity a day outside of running as don't take the phone with me when I do that.

Btw if anyone is looking for an invite to their new Inbox yoke, I've two of them so fire me a PM with your gmail address & I can forward one on.

Just realised that I sound like a real Google fan-boy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Think I saw those two actors in Fair City. Seem like the same style of writing too, maybe its a spinoff.

• Advertisement

Why on earth would you let the cobra's near your baby!!!

edit: now watch this one...getting seriously tense here!

The coolest thing I have ever seen!!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=286572988194190

The coolest thing I have ever seen!!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=286572988194190
    She is;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Not really off-topic but didn't want to start a whole thread for this crap!

Ever fancied a race with all the benefits of the goody-bag without all that tough running??

The here's the event for you:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sportsdoc/The-Philly-00-Instant-Gratification-Run.html
    Who says you have to work up a sweat to enjoy a post race party? Definitely not the founders of New Era Events who are hosting the first ever Instant Gratification Run, the shortest running course probably in the history of running. (Should they be calling the Guinness Book of World Records?) At this very unique event, participants will run a total of 0.0 miles. So how is this a race you might ask? Well, there will be a start and finish line, entry bibs, awards, race t-shirts, all the things you expect at a race with one exception: the actual running part.

The “run” will start right outside of Xfinity Live on Pattison Avenue where participants will actually line up at the start/finish line for their chance to cross over for their 0:01 finish time. To commemorate your quick finish, you will receive an e-mail from Mid-Atlantic Timing, the professional race timing company of New Era Event’s Todd Strauss.

After you cross the “finish line,” the post race festivities will begin inside where it is warm. Every runner will receive a free beer and food to enjoy while partying to the sounds of live bands and a DJ. Besides your running bib and long sleeve t-shirt, you will have the chance to win prizes as well. Awards will be given out for the top male and female finishers, and the best part is that because winners will be chosen randomly, everyone has the same chance to win. You need to be present to get an award though.

And a bargain at only $35!

Quite indicative of modern society.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Not really off-topic but didn't want to start a whole thread for this crap!

Ever fancied a race with all the benefits of the goody-bag without all that tough running??

The here's the event for you:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sportsdoc/The-Philly-00-Instant-Gratification-Run.html

And a bargain at only $35!

Quite indicative of modern society.
    Wow. All rather sickening, but not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

So essentially 35 blips for dinner, a drink and entry into a raffle?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What, no medal?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

RayCun wrote: »
    What, no medal?!?!

And what about pacers?

Advertisement