Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Chivito550 wrote: »
    So essentially 35 blips for dinner, a drink and entry into a raffle?

I would have thought such an event appeals to a sprinter :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I would have thought such an event appeals to a sprinter :rolleyes:

Yeh because 400m runners are lazy right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Yeh because 400m runners are lazy right?

So I'm led to believe ... not that I would ever mingle with that kind of crowd :)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87486003&postcount=11

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

57456930.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

^ Brilliant!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭aero2k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Great article in the Irish Times today about the flaws behind The Irish Heart Foundation's "On The Dry" campaign. Nail on the head below.
    "In general, the campaign can be read as supportive of an all-or-nothing approach to alcohol, with the idea of consumption in moderation failing to get a look-in."

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/why-on-the-dry-alcohol-abstinence-campaign-sends-out-the-wrong-message-1.2056763

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Surely this is the greatest off-topic zombie thread ever:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96968

The magic of the Cup :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    The magic of the Cup :eek:

Magic alright - it made Spurs disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Spotted this in the changing room at work last evening, guess someone was in such a rush to get out for their run they forgot about their apple :)

2147fgy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I'm sure everyone knows at this stage about the "official" crumlin shopping centre Facebook page. But just in case you didn't, get over there ASAP before its, eh removed.......comedy Gold.

Tokyo’s ‘running police’ help marathon to go smoothly

JapanRunningCops_large.jpg

Wonder if we'll see the same sort of thing at other big city marathons?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

opus wrote: »
    Wonder if we'll see the same sort of thing at other big city marathons?

The running cop is more likely to spot something strange going on amongst the runners, but would need to be a fairly odd terrorist attacker that tried to do something after running a 40km warmup. It is purely part of the security theatre to try and make people think they are safe, the same as airport security. The people on bikes that you now get around the elites after the crazy Irish bloke in the Greek Olympic Marathon* might actually be a bit more useful as will deter people from doing something silly on the spur of the moment, they have a better view of the crowd and are not going to be so knackered if something does happen. But if crazy bloke decided to do something again, a couple of blokes on bikes are not going to be quick enough to stop him.

* I am already getting annoyed that I know he will be hanging out beside the GFA start again this year and despite their being a order banning him from any of the London boroughs during the marathon the cops will still just be stood there watching and regular punters will be taking pictures of him so encouraging the nutter, whilst I get annoyed that nobody has punched him in the head yet. :mad:

<Goes off to sit in a corner quietly for a bit to calm down.>

robinph wrote: »
    * I am already getting annoyed that I know he will be hanging out beside the GFA start again this year and despite their being a order banning him from any of the London boroughs during the marathon the cops will still just be stood there watching and regular punters will be taking pictures of him so encouraging the nutter, whilst I get annoyed that nobody has punched him in the head yet. :mad:

<Goes off to sit in a corner quietly for a bit to calm down.>

That nutter is still around :confused: That bit of news surprised me but then when it comes to priests maybe nothing should e.g. Yoga and Indian head massages lead to Satanism, says priest

Hope you've been able to calm down!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

opus wrote: »
    That nutter is still around :confused: That bit of news surprised me but then when it comes to priests maybe nothing should e.g. Yoga and Indian head massages lead to Satanism, says priest

Hope you've been able to calm down!

Yep, he's been hanging around doing some bad attempt at dancing the last three years beside the GFA start at least. Last year there were a couple of cops stood watching him which was something I guess and better than previous years. He is breaking his ASBO though by being in London that weekend, unless it has now expired or something.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There is a documentary on ITV4 next Tuesday night about Paula Radcliffe at 10pm. Looks interesting enough from the ad for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I love that the 'off topic' thread seems to be, well, all about, eh... running :) half the training logs are more off topic than this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

annapr wrote: »
    I love that the 'off topic' thread seems to be, well, all about, eh... running :) half the training logs are more off topic than this thread!

This belongs in the rant thread, not the Off Topic Thread ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

menoscemo wrote: »
    This belongs in the rant thread, not the Off Topic Thread ;)

actually it was a rave :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Was the dress blue/black or white/gold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Was the dress blue/black or white/gold?

I just saw it on After Hours there, how can anyone seriously think it's white and gold? :confused:

Just after watch the LLS for the first time in years. Christ those 5 Eurovision songs were awful. The first one was actually embarrassing.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I just saw it on After Hours there, how can anyone seriously think it's white and gold? :confused:
    Most people in work today said white/gold. I see it as blue/black. It seems about 2/3 people see it white/gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Most people in work today said white/gold. I see it as blue/black. It seems about 2/3 people see it white/gold.

depends on the photo you're looking at. The one on AH it's blue and black but the one I saw on the news was silver and black.
    The whole thing is really dumb.
    Nobody in the world could think this was anything other than blue and black.
    https://40.media.tumblr.com/a391a1b4b46dd6b498d379e50f96ecbc/tumblr_nkcjuq8Tdr1tnacy1o1_500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Ososlo wrote: »
    depends on the photo you're looking at. The one on AH it's blue and black but the one I saw on the news was silver and black.
    https://40.media.tumblr.com/a391a1b4b46dd6b498d379e50f96ecbc/tumblr_nkcjuq8Tdr1tnacy1o1_500.jpg

White & gold all the way.

tang1 wrote: »
    White & gold all the way.

are you for real? Do you really see white and gold in that link I posted?

Are people all looking at that particular photo and not different photos of the same dress? I missed most of the whole thing today.

Thats why everyone is talking about it. You see blue/black, but others are seeing white/gold and can't understand why someone sees blue/black. It depends on how your brain is hard wired.

Thats why everyone is talking about it. You see blue/black, but others are seeing white/gold and can't understand why someone sees blue/black. It depends on how your brain is hard wired.

but I did see it on the news and it was silver and black I think, but no blue. It was a video of it on a hanger in a shop and not a photo.
    I'm confused:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

are you for real? Do you really see white and gold in that link I posted?

Are people all looking at that particular photo and not different photos of the same dress? I missed most of the whole thing today.

Genuinely see white & gold, not a hint of royal blue or black when i look at it.

Advertisement