Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

OOOOKay moving on..........

Bought a juicer at the weekend with the intention of trying to improve nutrition.

Anybody any good recipes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

sideswipe wrote: »

Bought a juicer at the weekend with the intention of trying to improve nutrition.

Anybody any good receipts?

Don't you just hate autocorrect :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

:rolleyes: Thats a blender- smoothies are so 2012.

Oh, I don't think you could juice an iphone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I've met Andy as a real person, and formed my opinion based on that, not from some internet persona.

I'll always have plenty of time for Andy, he's a genuinely decent and helpful guy and would go out of his way to help people. I've experienced it personally and it meant a lot to me. His heart on sleeve approach sometimes got him caught up in crap but to me his decency always trumps that.

I'm not taking a "side" in this, I continue to read, enjoy and occasionally input into an eclectic mix of logs, I do however, think that it's a pity that that the forum couldn't harness the undoubted knowledge and experience that Q had.

Andy, I hope the MRI brings good news.

There's plenty of positives around here, let's try and focus a bit more on those.

TbL

^^^^Hey this is a juicing thread now........would have at least expected some help from you given your username:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Oh, I don't think you could juice an iphone.

Try it with a Garmin yet? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56,142 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The rant thread is closed for now. Mods, any chance "for now" becomes open again?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

walshb wrote: »
    The rant thread is closed for now. Mods, any chance "for now" becomes open again?

Nope.

• Advertisement

Please God no.

That thread has had as much to do with the negativity and bad feeling as Stazza Gate imo.
    Some of it was a bit of fun. But by and large it added noting positive to this forum other than a breeding ground for trolls and curmudgeons that took up a large portion of the mods time in sorting out.

Please God no.
    breeding ground for trolls and curmudgeons.

You trying to tell me something?

You trying to tell me something?

No, not at all. I'm not into personal attacks on people I don't even know. I just think this place was a far more open and friendly before that tread- It brought out the worst in posters. Time for this forum to get back to what it should be...... a running forum with a light hearted theme, a place to come and ask a question and have a bit of banter. We have lost a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable poster lately- if this doesn't stop the forum has a pretty bleak future.

No, not at all. I'm not into personal attacks on people I don't even know. I just think this place was a far more open and friendly before that tread- It brought out the worst in posters. Time for this forum to get back to what it should be...... a running forum with a light hearted theme, a place to come and ask a question and have a bit of banter. We have lost a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable poster lately- if this doesn't stop the forum has a pretty bleak future.

I know. I was just self-deprecating a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Did you buy a nutribullet? Still deciding if this will change my life and make me fabulous.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...e-recipes.html

aquinn wrote: »
    Did you buy a nutribullet? Still deciding if this will change my life and make me fabulous.

No I got one of THESE bad boys.

Expensive but hopefully worth it in the long run. Was looking at the nutribullet but liked the idea of juice over smoothie, as I'm not keen on the gloopy texture of smoothies. My 5yr old is loving trying out different combos of fruit and veg drinks so its a bonus to see her getting some good raw nutrients in as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Jasus, just read 4 pages of that log where all the messing started, and I don't understand where all the hatred comes from. Interesting to see that about 80% of folks posting in there are now "closed accounts" and I dont get what all the fury is about [nor care tbh, if honest]

People on the internet are weird.

Regarding Juicing - I go thru phases of doing it, but its expensive and a huge amount of effort so I always stop after a few weeks :) - I have read somewhere the science saying its great for you is pretty questionable, no idea if that is true or not

Yeh, the most overrated nonsense thread (Stazza) on boards. Like 6 year olds in the school playground. The internet sure is weird!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Jasus, just read 4 pages of that log where all the messing started, and I don't understand where all the hatred comes from. Interesting to see that about 80% of folks posting in there are now "closed accounts" and I dont get what all the fury is about [nor care tbh, if honest]

To be fair there was a lot going on in the forum generally on a load of different logs and threads that all fed into the bad feeling that was around the place.

I never read that log but was more than aware of what was going on in terms of a general argument going on over a period of time and people taking sides etc. I just did my best to stay out of it. TBH until very recently it was more or less a thing that happened in the past and I'd assumed most people had moved on from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

People on the internet are weird.

Regarding Juicing - I go thru phases of doing it, but its expensive and a huge amount of effort so I always stop after a few weeks :) - I have read somewhere the science saying its great for you is pretty questionable, no idea if that is true or not

Not up on the actual science, but I'm sure some here are, but what I've heard/read is that pulping fruits to extract the juice negates some of the benefits. Basically, the best way to consume fruit juice is as nature intended. She might not be the ultimate oracle when it comes to gender roles, but on this she's the last word. The fact that people have made fortunes out of smoothies and the fad diets associated with them tells you all you need to know, really.

/QUOTE]

Hope you read the last 4 pages rather than just any four - that will tell you what kind of messing/cynicism was going on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

davedanon wrote: »
    Not up on the actual science, but I'm sure some here are, but what I've heard/read is that pulping fruits to extract the juice negates some of the benefits. Basically, the best way to consume fruit juice is as nature intended. She might not be the ultimate oracle when it comes to gender roles, but on this she's the last word. The fact that people have made fortunes out of smoothies and the fad diets associated with them tells you all you need to know, really.

Agree with you but the counter argument is that you can consume the juice of a hell of a lot of fruit and veg in one sitting, whereas it may take you a week or more to eat that many carrots/beetroot/apples or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Hope you read the last 4 pages rather than just any four - that will tell you what kind of messing/cynicism was going on
    I started with the first two pages, which was a complete love in of "OMG this is..like..the best log evaaarrr" type posts from basically everyone..

...then jumped forward to last three pages which are full of technical and [what seems to me] tiny/picky - yet passionate argument - clearly with a huge amount of background negativity behind said posts

Anyway, many of you have done this issue to death [literally in many accounts instances] and then some - so lets not go over it again, as I'm just curious, I don't actually care all that much.

I started with the first two pages, which was a complete love in of "OMG this is..like..the best log evaaarrr" type posts from basically everyone..

...then jumped forward to last three pages which are full of technical and [what seems to me] tiny/picky - yet passionate argument - clearly with a huge amount of background negativity behind said posts

Anyway, many of you have done this issue to death [literally in many accounts instances] and then some - so lets not go over it again, as I'm just curious, I don't actually care all that much.

Fair enough - you brought it up again. I don't think it's fair to judge without going through it and seeing the madness that ensued - talks of coups, soldiers, followers etc - for anyone who is curious:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057122087&page=61

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

aquinn wrote: »

Now I really really really want a nutribullet - they all look so yummy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

kit3 wrote: »
    Fair enough - you brought it up again. I don't think it's fair to judge without going through it and seeing the madness that ensued - talks of coups, soldiers, followers etc - for anyone who is curious:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057122087&page=61

I'm starting to get the feeling you were not on Stazza's side......can't put my finger on it......just a feeling........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I'm starting to get the feeling you were not on Stazza's side......can't put my finger on it......just a feeling........

To be fair I dont think anyone could be on his side after what could only be described as truly bizarre behavior. I think the lad needed psychological help as opposed to a witch hunt though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Duping and manipulating an entire community of people for his own ends and presumably commercial gain. Did people not find this somewhat despicable?

If not, I can only applaud their Christian impulses. I wouldn't share them though.

Advertisement