Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I'm starting to get the feeling you were not on Stazza's side......can't put my finger on it......just a feeling........

I'm just calling a spade a spade (a tool a tool) as it were. Looking at comments around here it is like what really took place is being airbrushed (the victor writes the history ??). Stazza stated what he did in his own words better than his 'stable' could ever do - no harm in people who weren't around here at the time reading it from the horses mouth, in the interests of accuracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

kit3 wrote: »
    I'm just calling a spade a spade (a tool a tool) as it were. Looking at comments around here it is like what really took place is being airbrushed (the victor writes the history ??). Stazza stated what he did in his own words better than his 'stable' could ever do - no harm in people who weren't around here at the time reading it from the horses mouth, in the interests of accuracy.

I assume that this Stazza character was permanently banned after this episode, yes?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Right, that is enough about Stazza. Time to move along and talk about something else.

davedanon wrote: »
    I assume that this Stazza character was permanently banned after this episode, yes?

Couldn't tell you - think he closed his account before that could happen. He has been back in other guises from time to time (allegedly :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

adrian522 wrote: »
    Agree with you but the counter argument is that you can consume the juice of a hell of a lot of fruit and veg in one sitting, whereas it may take you a week or more to eat that many carrots/beetroot/apples or whatever.

I hate veg but will take it in juice form handy enough. Small glass over in seconds.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Right, that is enough about Stazza. Time to move along and talk about something else.

think we posted at the same time there ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

davedanon wrote: »
    Duping and manipulating an entire community of people for his own ends and presumably commercial gain. Did people not find this somewhat despicable?

If not, I can only applaud their Christian impulses. I wouldn't share them though.

I read some of Stazza's work back in his early days but it soon became clear that I had huge frustrations in following his log so I dropped it from my interests pretty swiftly.
    I only ever re-visited his log when I noticed the 'chatter' referencing it so much on other threads.

So, wrong to say he duped and manipulated the entire community on here (and I'm sure there were lots of others similarly ignoring his log also).
    People always had the choice to write him off as a troll and move on with what interested them rather than having to get involved.
    Just a pity a few more didn't do likewise and he might have gone the way of Newbygirl, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Wottle wrote: »
    I hate veg but will take it in juice form handy enough. Small glass over in seconds.
    You should read up on the differences between eating fruit/veg and drinking juice, particularly about the sugar levels. There is quite a difference in terms of nutrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

PaulieC wrote: »
    You should read up on the differences between eating fruit/veg and drinking juice, particularly about the sugar levels. There is quite a difference in terms of nutrition.

Important point I suppose. I eat a lot of fresh fruit and veg. The thing about the veg is it's always cooked so has already lost a lot of nutrients- i'm hoping juicing will be a way to introduce more of the nutrients from raw veg while at the same time give me something to 'snack on' instead of reaching for the biscuit tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

sideswipe wrote: »
    Important point I suppose. I eat a lot of fresh fruit and veg. The thing about the veg is it's always cooked so has already lost a lot of nutrients- i'm hoping juicing will be a way to introduce more of the nutrients from raw veg while at the same time give me something to 'snack on' instead of reaching for the biscuit tin.

the thing about juice is that it often removes or pulverises the fibre in the fruit... which helps offset the effects of the sugar. Without the fibre, juice is mainly sugar (with vitamins thrown in). I'm not sure about cooking removing nutrients, depends how it's cooked I suppose... also some nutrients are released by cooking (e.g., tomatoes).

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    the thing about juice is that it often removes or pulverises the fibre in the fruit... which helps offset the effects of the sugar. Without the fibre, juice is mainly sugar (with vitamins thrown in). I'm not sure about cooking removing nutrients, depends how it's cooked I suppose... also some nutrients are released by cooking (e.g., tomatoes).

Would that be true of green veg like Kale and Broccoli do you think? So far I've been avoiding too much fruit i.e. sugar.

Maybe I should have asked this before I bought my juicer:rolleyes:

sideswipe wrote: »
    Would that be true of green veg like Kale and Broccoli do you think? So far I've been avoiding too much fruit i.e. sugar.

Maybe I should have asked this before I bought my juicer:rolleyes:

hmm, don't know. I'd imagine the sugar content is lower in green veg, but the point about reducing/removing the fibre would still apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

How is fibre reduced by juicing? Any cheaper alternatives to the nutribullet?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,142 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Does the Nutribullet work for Big Macs?

Juicing blitzes there fruit and veg with sharp blades/discs, the resulting material is filtered through a very fine mesh which only allows liquid through- the fibrous portion of the fruit and veg is separated into a waste bin.

i saw plenty of blenders of all shapes, sizes and price in Power City. They are open till NINE I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Fibre is the solid part of fruit and veg. By turning it into liquid you cut out the fibre...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Any cheaper alternatives to the nutribullet?
    teeth :)

ultraman1 wrote: »
    teeth :)

Speek for yourself....I've spent thousands on my teeth as they were damaged from all the su............hold on a minute:confused:

Oh, I thought with the nutribullet you drank everything. That juice and pulp was all mixed together.

Oh, I thought with the nutribullet you drank everything. That juice and pulp was all mixed together.

Nope it's just another marketing scam you may as well drink a coke and take a vitamin pill :D

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nope it's just another marketing scam you may as well drink a coke and take a vitamin pill :D

Just seen your first post a min ago, a bit like the way every one was steaming veg a couple of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Fibre is the solid part of fruit and veg. By turning it into liquid you cut out the fibre...

Is that true?

There's quite a few well respected Irish sport nutritionists who are fans of nutri bullet and ninja.

There is no waste left to correct an earlier poster.

As with anything, it's not a panacea.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Some magical chemical transformation?! Further explanation required! Are you confusing the nutribullet with juicers that filter out the pulp? No doubt there's a lot of hype surrounding the device, but I can't see how breaking down food into smaller parts will change the nutritional composition.

Djoucer wrote: »
    Is that true?

There's quite a few well respected Irish sport nutritionists who are fans of nutri bullet and ninja.

There is no waste left to correct an earlier poster.

As with anything, it's not a panacea.

The waste I was referring to is whats left after using a juicer, not a nutribullet or blender.

Some magical chemical transformation?! Further explanation required! Are you confusing the nutribullet with juicers that filter out the pulp? No doubt there's a lot of hype surrounding the device, but I can't see how breaking down food into smaller parts will change the nutritional composition.

If what you are saying is true, I may have lumped the nutribullet in with juicers. Apologies if so.

I still prefer to eat fruit and veg in its whole form though...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

That's correct. Juicers and blenders are very different things, and the nutribullet is the latter, which means nothing is lost. You put 200g of fruit/veg in, you get 200g out.

With a juicer, you put 200g in, and get 100g back*. Juicers tend to claim that what is left is nutritionally irrelevant, but I'm pretty skeptical of that, and I'm not aware of any scientific research that says otherwise.

I'm also pretty skeptical of any claims that the "liquidizing" method of a blender does fruit and veg any nutritional harm. What does a blender do to them that a combination of manual grinding and hydrochloric acid (teeth and stomach) doesn't do?

And just to complete the triangle of skepticism, I think it's pretty safe to say that Nutribullet's claims of being a "Nutrition Extraction" mechanism that breaks foods "down to their most absorbable state" is total bullshit.

Blenders are good because they make it easier to eat larger amounts of fruit and veg (and nuts and protein powder). Blenders are dangerous because it's easy to underestimate how much you're taking in, especially when it comes to the sugar in fruit: you'd never sit down and eat 2 apples, a banana, a bowl of strawberries, a scoop of natural yoghurt and a pineapple in one go, but you might blend it all together and drink it, and that's a lot of calories and sugar

*totally spurious figures

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    That's correct. also pretty skeptical of any claims that the "liquidizing" method of a blender does fruit and veg any nutritional harm What does a blender do to them that a combination of manual grinding and hydrochloric acid (teeth and stomach) doesn't do?

*totally spurious figures

That's the point though... Your teeth, intestines, etc are supposed to do the work. And as far as I understand fibre is not about nutritional value so much as how it interacts with other substances, soluble/non soluble etc. At a less late hour I will find the references that make the case better than I can. I thought a nutribullet was a pill until a few days ago so no idea how good they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

annapr wrote: »
    I thought a nutribullet was a pill until a few days ago so no idea how good they are.
    Sounds more like a suppository.
    28064212 wrote:
    Blenders are good because they make it easier to eat larger amounts of fruit and veg (and nuts and protein powder). Blenders are dangerous because it's easy to underestimate how much you're taking in, especially when it comes to the sugar in fruit
    I remember watching a nutritional program, where they provided the same meals to different groups of soldiers, however, for some groups, they liquidized the food into a soup-like composition (with added water), while other groups ate the same meal in solid form. It was actually the teams that ate the meal in soup form, who felt the most full and required less additional calories afterwards. Wasn't a very scientific study, but sounds reasonable on the basis that the liquid (water) mixed with the solid food, is going to make the stomach feel more full, and decrease appetite. Doesn't really relate to nutritional value, but in this case, the teeth intestines are probably doing less work. Related article link.

Saw that documentary too Krusty.
    I think the simple fact of the matter is that if you are supplementing an already decent diet with juicing and smoothies as a replacement for less healthy snacks then it has to be a good thing. As well as that there are certain things I want to add to my diet that I find difficult i.e. stuff that the rest of the house won't touch such as sea vegetables for low thyroid function which I suffer from. There are plenty of fads out there so I understand the cynicism- maybe next month I'll try the blended big mac and a coke with a vitamin pill:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

28064212 wrote: »
    And just to complete the triangle of skepticism, I think it's pretty safe to say that Nutribullet's claims of being a "Nutrition Extraction" mechanism that breaks foods "down to their most absorbable state" is total bullshit.
    It's the kind of nonsense that would appeal to people who use naturalnews.com or mercola as sources for advice on health.

Advertisement