Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

ultrapercy wrote: »
    And just to think one woman made all that in just 6 days.Shows you the importance of recovery.

FYP :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

It's a sky fairy. they have no gender as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

demfad wrote: »
    Good one for showing the kids (big ones too) the scale of the Universe and their place in it.
    Stuff like that blows my mind and brings out my inner geek, I love it. I showed that video to a friend today and he says " yeah if you believe that in that kind of stuff" I'm like ah hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

" yeah if you believe that in that kind of stuff" I'm like ah hear.

If you "believe"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

davedanon wrote: »
    If you "believe"?

Ah, science. One of the more hokey world religions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

davedanon wrote: »
    If you "believe"?
    I think there was some rapper claiming the world was flat recently, or else it was a good publicity stunt.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think there was some rapper claiming the world was flat recently, or else it was a good publicity stunt.

Twas this guy...

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/hip-hop/6851778/bob-earth-flat-twitter-neil-degrasse-tyson

Very I retesting article here on the benefits and potential drawbacks of high tech fitness gadgets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/20/opinion/sunday/how-a-fitbit-may-make-you-a-bit-fit.html?_r=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

adrian522 wrote: »
    Very I retesting article here on the benefits and potential drawbacks of high tech fitness gadgets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/20/opinion/sunday/how-a-fitbit-may-make-you-a-bit-fit.html?_r=0

Very interesting and more than a little scary...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The article seems to look at it from the point of view of the casual exerciser and doesn't really take into account the benefits and practicalities for someone who uses one as more than a novelty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

adrian522 wrote: »

I knew Steve would come on board with me eventually....

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The article seems to look at it from the point of view of the casual exerciser and doesn't really take into account the benefits and practicalities for someone who uses one as more than a novelty.

I'm not sure about that. The bit about athletes losing touch with the signals the body is sending is certainly relevant.

I can agree that over reliance on technology would be a bad thing, but I still don't think the solution is stop using tech that is available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I agree, I think it's relevant, but as you say in your last sentence, personally I don't think the solution is to stop using it, a happy medium needs to be found. They're a good aid when used correctly, depending on what you're training for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Good piece about running and dealing with traumatic circumstances:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/03/running-and-involuntary-memories/472374/

http://irishrunner.com/its-a-game-of-two-halves/
    Catherina McKiernan on marathon pacing in case anyone is interested, nothing really earth shattering in the there but worth a read all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Checked but can't find an answer to this anywhere, apologises for bumping this thread for a nooby question but how do you get attached photos to show up as an image? All I can get is the attachment box at the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

El Caballo wrote: »
    Checked but can't find an answer to this anywhere, apologises for bumping this thread for a nooby question but how do you get attached photos to show up as an image? All I can get is the attachment box at the bottom.

I've not done this but I believe what you do is attach the photos to your post and submit. Then, you go to the post and right click on the hyperlink of the attachment. From the options, copy the address link of the attachment. Now, go back in and edit your post and go to insert image. Paste the address you have just copied in here and voila.

I just save my photos to Photobucket and then insert the image address from photo bucket when inserting an image. Works just as good, presuming the above actually works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I've not done this but I believe what you do is attach the photos to your post and submit. Then, you go to the post and right click on the hyperlink of the attachment. From the options, copy the address link of the attachment. Now, go back in and edit your post and go to insert image. Paste the address you have just copied in here and voila.

I just save my photos to Photobucket and then insert the image address from photo bucket when inserting an image. Works just as good, presuming the above actually works.

PS - If you upload to PhotoBucket, then you can also adjust the size of the photo so it's a reasonable size when you stick it in to a post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Images have to be available on the internet (usually on sites like flickr, google photos, PhotoBucket, anything with a url) rather than sitting on your own disk. You also need to ensure that they are public, else anyone but you won't be able to see it. Then when you type your message you click the image icon (it says "insert image" if you hover the mouse pointer above it) and enter the image's url.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Images have to be available on the internet (usually on sites like flickr, google photos, PhotoBucket, anything with a url) rather than sitting on your own disk. You also need to ensure that they are public, else anyone but you won't be able to see it. Then when you type your message you click the image icon (it says "insert image" if you hover the mouse pointer above it) and enter the image's url.

TBF is right *but* there is a little trick you can do to get the images to appear inline while keeping them just on boards.

1. Write your post as usual, attaching the images as always. Then when you submit the post they show up as attachments.
    *But* notice that when you click on these attachments on the uploaded post, that they are actually taking you to a public url that just happens to be hosted on boards.

2. Hit edit on your post, and now use the image icon TBF mentions to put your images directly in your post, but use the little boards urls you now have from step 1. This time the images will show inline in your post. If you do it quick enough, you won't even see the message that your post was edited :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

hillsiderunner is right *but* there is a little trick you can do to not need to edit your posts :)

After you've attached your image, your attachment will show up as a link under "Attach Files". Right-click and select "Copy Link Location" (or similar, depending on your browser). Paste that into the URL of the image box

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Brilliant, thanks folks!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Next time you tuck into your post race goody bag.....read the labels!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

gucci wrote: »
    Next time you tuck into your post race goody bag.....read the labels!!

No good if you don't understand the language the label is written in ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No good if you don't understand the language the label is written in ...

Even if you did read the language I think after a marathon most people would see a packet with pictures of some grapes on it and take a bite without noticing the word "fruity soap" on the packet. It's really not obviously soap from this design:

http://www.theweek.co.uk/71003/chinese-marathon-runners-mistake-free-soap-for-energy-bars

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

28064212 wrote: »
    hillsiderunner is right *but* there is a little trick you can do to not need to edit your posts :)

After you've attached your image, your attachment will show up as a link under "Attach Files". Right-click and select "Copy Link Location" (or similar, depending on your browser). Paste that into the URL of the image box

Thanks for that! It works! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭Enduro

I was tempted to post that in the Running with legging thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Picked up an injury, no running for a few weeks. Gutted. :(

Advertisement