Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Would you believe I have never used 'The George'! It sits in the kitchen at my workplace, where it is used to grill slices of aubergine. I should have kept it in it's box and deposited it in the shrine, dedicated to the memory of that day I beat demfad. :)

I think you'd need a bigger 'shrine' (a house extension perhaps), if we raced regularly now.

I was wondering if you have made movements on diet as part of bringing the times down? (or maybe you have been doing that all along)

I knocked the (spoons of) sugar on the head 6 months ago. Ian C told me that giving up diary gave him a big breakthrough. I tried it and I lost weight very quickly. Had to eat a lot to maintain weight. I only managed 3 weeks because there is something very addictive in it. Very tough to stop.
    I't would need a proper thought out diet to replace (particularly protein I guess). Anyway, off-topic (but that's OK) but if I go nuclear with the diet for running reasons and old age health benefits, dairy will get the bullet.

If youve been working on diet, and had any tips I'm sure myself and others would appreciate.

Hope your back in training soon. A break can be a good time for re-evaluating future training, getting the hunger fired up, and well just having a break.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I grew up in the 70's, and although I was more a footballer than athlete - I did school sports and raced in Santry typically once a year - the amount of physical activity I got through was unbelievable. For a start we raced to school* in the morning - the guts of a mile, I suppose - then home and back again for lunch. At playtime we raced around the yard. After school I would play football on the road for literally hours. By the age of 8 I was in the road leagues. Training twice a week, match on Saturday. I played Gaelic as well, and some rugby. In secondary there was more rugby to add to the football, but very quickly fags and booze made an appearance. that's a different story, of course. Up until I took up running seriously though, at about 12/13 I was the fittest I've ever been. Only the most sports-mad of kids these days would be anything like as active as we were back in the day.

On the strength of athletics now versus then, I think it's more a question of depth. When I talk to the 'old-timers' in the club, they'll always mention how many sub-3 marathoners they had back then, compared to now. Plenty at sub-2:50 too, and a few sub-2:40. Garry Clarke likes to tell the story of how he ran 57mins in Ballycotton and didn't even get a tee-shirt.

* Where the Raheny 5 registration takes place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Ososlo wrote: »

I know! WTF? :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Firedance wrote: »
    I know! WTF? :(:(

And sometimes it really does snow in April :( Well hailstones anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

"Ranieri has the mentality of someone who doesn’t need to win. He is almost 70 years old. He has won a Supercup and another small trophy and he is too old to change his mentality." - Jose Mourinho in 2008.

LOL, now his former club must give Leicester a guard of honour on the final day of the season! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ososlo wrote: »
    And sometimes it really does snow in April :( Well hailstones anyway...

I had heating on in the car on the way to the pool at lunch, air con on on the way back. Crazy weather be crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There was frost this morning where I am and didn't bother with my lunch time run, there's been so many heavy rain and sleet showers this afternoon. There's still little drifts of hail in the shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There was frost this morning where I am and didn't bother with my lunch time run, there's been so many heavy rain and sleet showers this afternoon. There's still little drifts of hail in the shade.

I have a club session tonight, so should be interesting in this weather, If its hail, the match might convince me to stay in and have a chang beer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I have a club session tonight, so should be interesting in this weather, If its hail, the match might convince me to stay in and have a chang beer
    Had a track session last night, I changed my mind about 10 times in the car on the way up. I then reasoned that race conditions might be the same so I ended up going. Baltic. Thankfully I had gloves.

• Advertisement

Considering bring spikes to the polo grounds this evening - today's been the only bad day though, right? Polo grounds should be ok?

Considering bring spikes to the polo grounds this evening - today's been the only bad day though, right? Polo grounds should be ok?

Ground won't be that soft i say, but you could always bring them and not use them, cover both bases just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Ground won't be that soft i say, but you could always bring them and not use them, cover both bases just incase.

Did a few miles there just after lunch, rock hard still!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I had heating on in the car on the way to the pool at lunch, air con on on the way back. Crazy weather be crazy!
    I got pelted by hailstones during my afternoon run, which was a bit odd, as I was wearing a singlet to cope with the sunshine/heat.

I got pelted by hailstones during my afternoon run, which was a bit odd, as I was wearing a singlet to cope with the sunshine/heat.

That was Baltic out there tonight. Cool down cut short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Bright and sunny here this afternoon. Was 30 seconds out the door and did a 360 to come back and get a jacket. The cold wind nearly cut me in half. Ended up overheated after half an hour when I ended up in a sheltered spot. Physcotic weather.

That was Baltic out there tonight. Cool down cut short.

Pftttt! Soft distance runners. Bit of nippy breeze, but lovely sunshine this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Pftttt! Soft distance runners. Bit of nippy breeze, but lovely sunshine this evening.

Yeah, but a sprinter's session is 45 minutes of stretching and relaxing swaddled up in a tracksuit and tights, interspersed with about 14 seconds of actual fast running...

Yeah but then I've to carry them there if I run there. Effort. :pac:

T'was fine anyway - not that it'd matter at the paces I'm running at these days :)

Yeah but then I've to carry them there if I run there. Effort. :pac:

T'was fine anyway - not that it'd matter at the paces I'm running at these days :)

I had one of those nights in my session, never got going!!

• Advertisement

One of our reps was 60 secs, you might last that one:D

The other ones would be marathon distance to you, ie 90 secs, 120 secs:D

I've a couple of sub 20 5Ks to my name over the past year and a half. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Mile 1 was cold because of the icy wind
    Mile 2 was nice because the sun came up
    Mile 3 was rainy
    Mile 4 was hailstones
    Mile 5 was cloudy with the sun almost visible

Miles 6-10 were pretty much the same again but in reverse.

Irish weather his morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I've a couple of sub 20 5Ks to my name over the past year and a half. ;)

Jazus, now I'm seriously depressed :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

TbL

Or twice as motivated!

TbL

Ran it like an absolute donkey though. First mile in 5:35 (although downhill). There's a picture of me at that time, and all the guys around me finished up in sub 18 or thereabouts. It was a long death march to the finish from there, and a truly miserable experience. Think I'll pass next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

I got absolutely smoked in a endurance training session last year by a 47 second 400m runner, think he's run low 15's for 5k and 32 for 10k, some of those guys can be seriously aerobically fit.

El Caballo wrote: »
    I got absolutely smoked in a endurance training session last year by a 47 second 400m runner, think he's run low 15's for 5k and 32 for 10k, some of those guys can be seriously aerobically fit.

Big time. Though some not so much. Michael Johnson would only just squeeze under 5 for the mile as part of his winter training. Gillick on the otherhand has a 4:30 to his name I believe from Road Relays. But then again, if you can run 19.32 for 200m then who cares about poor mile endurance. :)

Supposedly Maurice Greene ran 17:35 at a 5K Turkey Trot one year. Mad if true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

El Caballo wrote: »

I'd have to doubt those 5 and 10k times. I'm not saying sprinters can't have good distance times but they seem a little quick. Not saying your lying either but maybe something got lost or added in the retelling? A 32 10k and a 47 400 would be some range of ability, even though 32 is just good club standard coupled with the 47 400 it would make the person a freak of nature. I certainly wouldn't like to have him on my shoulder with a lap to go!!

Advertisement