Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Dublin is spread out, but it's not nearly as bad as people say. Melbourne is far more sprawled, and while they don't have an underground (with the exception of the City Loop), they have about 15 rail lines which stretch miles out, and they are always full at rush hour.

And underground doesn't have to be underground everywhere, just in the city centre. We should have put the LUAS lines underground when we started. From Ranelagh onwards the Green line should have been underground, and the Red Line should have gone underground before it got to Heuston. What a wasted opportunity that was to have 2 connected underground lines, which could have been the start of a network which could be expanded over time. If Newcastle can manage a metro, with significantly smaller population, then we could.

Again it's more to do with the density of population. A rich city like Melbourne can't justify an extensive underground. A poor city like Newcastle can because the density of population will sustain it. The Luas cant be the start of an underground network because that would imply an underground Tram network. Trams are invented/designed for streets I would have thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Firedance wrote: »
    So there are other solutions that work well elsewhere, did you live in Melbourne? if so did their solution work well? For the record, our rail lines are always full at rush hour too :)

I lived in Melbourne for 3 years. Yes I believe their train network is good, though connecting from one line to another, often means going into the centre of the city and out again (though not always). It's definitely not perfect, but my point is, Melbourne is one of the most sprawled cities in the world, and yet it is able to pack out high capacity trains at rush hour on about 15 routes. You don't need a dense population for such a network to be worthwhile.

We don't have much existing rail infrastructure here, but a great opportunity was lost to go ahead with DART Underground, which would have integrated all our rail networks, and formed 2 DART lines intersecting in Pearse. This along with the LUAS had it gone underground to start with, and the future metro north, and we would have something which would start to look respectable by European standards.

In Melbourne they have around 28 tram lines, all because the people revolted when they tried to dig up the tram lines back in the 70s and now it's the biggest network in the world. Wish we had thought of that back in the 50s. Worst decision in the history of Irish transport was digging those up.

demfad wrote: »
    Again it's more to do with the density of population. A rich city like Melbourne can't justify an extensive underground. A poor city like Newcastle can because the density of population will sustain it. The Luas cant be the start of an underground network because that would imply an underground Tram network. Trams are invented/designed for streets I would have thought?

Well the LUAS is light-rail. It could easily go underground. The Newcastle metro is light-rail too I believe. It's just branded as a metro because it goes underground in the city centre. Once in the suburbs it seems pretty similar to the LUAS, except it goes a bit faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I lived in Melbourne for 3 years. Yes I believe their train network is good, though connecting from one line to another, often means going into the centre of the city and out again (though not always). It's definitely not perfect, but my point is, Melbourne is one of the most sprawled cities in the world, and yet it is able to pack out high capacity trains at rush hour on about 15 routes. You don't need a dense population for such a network to be worthwhile.

We don't have much existing rail infrastructure here, but a great opportunity was lost to go ahead with DART Underground, which would have integrated all our rail networks, and formed 2 DART lines intersecting in Pearse. This along with the LUAS had it gone underground to start with, and the future metro north, and we would have something which would start to look respectable by European standards.

In Melbourne they have around 28 tram lines, all because the people revolted when they tried to dig up the tram lines back in the 70s and now it's the biggest network in the world. Wish we had thought of that back in the 50s. Worst decision in the history of Irish transport was digging those up.

I don't disagree with you, I use the train and we could certainly do with at least a 50% improvement. When I started using the train, 14 years ago, there was talk of upgrading the signalling system in Connolly to take more trains. It never happened and instead my train leaves me 20 mins from the city centre :rolleyes: Still, its better than driving in, or worse, using our lousy bus service.

Just as well this is the off topic thread :D

I'd still like to see dedicated cycle and runmute ways into the city too.

Firedance wrote: »
    I don't disagree with you, I use the train and we could certainly do with at least a 50% improvement. When I started using the train, 14 years ago, there was talk of upgrading the signalling system in Connolly to take more trains. It never happened and instead my train leaves me 20 mins from the city centre :rolleyes: Still, its better than driving in, or worse, using our lousy bus service.

Just as well this is the off topic thread :D

I'd still like to see dedicated cycle and runmute ways into the city too.

I agree regarding the cycleways, as long as they aren't done half arsed like that one in Rio that collapsed into the sea recently! :eek: I love how Amsterdam and Copenhagen works regarding cycling, but it also integrates well with public transport. Many will get a train to the city, and then cycle the remainder to work. Dublin Bikes is a good concept, but the city itself is not very cycle friendly.

In general Dublin city centre is a miserable place for a pedestrian in certain places. Far too many cars coming from all angles. Get them out of the city is what I would love to see.

Don't expect much progressive ideas regarding public transport from the Irish government though. Years and years of under investment, and it won't change in the future I fear. The motorist has too much of a say in this country. Cars do not belong in a 21st century first world city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I agree regarding the cycleways, as long as they aren't done half arsed like that one in Rio that collapsed into the sea recently! :eek: I love how Amsterdam and Copenhagen works regarding cycling, but it also integrates well with public transport. Many will get a train to the city, and then cycle the remainder to work. Dublin Bikes is a good concept, but the city itself is not very cycle friendly.

In general Dublin city centre is a miserable place for a pedestrian in certain places. Far too many cars coming from all angles. Get them out of the city is what I would love to see.

Don't expect much progressive ideas regarding public transport from the Irish government though. Years and years of under investment, and it won't change in the future I fear. The motorist has too much of a say in this country. Cars do not belong in a 21st century first world city centre.

TBF they are piloting a copy of dedicated cycling lanes that is apparently already used in Copenhagen. I imagine that it will require dedicated enforcement to prevent the minority of drivers who don't think that the rules of the road apply to them from turning it into a hazard but it's encouraging to see a serious attempt to improve the cycling infrastructure in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

So I decide to do my gym session before work this morning, and then get the LUAS into work as it’s just a 13 minute walk from the gym. I’m about 5 minutes from the LUAS and I decide to check the times of the next LUAS on the app. No fecking LUAS running today. Had no idea the pr1cks were on strike again. Next I see a 14 bus go by but I don’t react in time. The next 14 is 25 minutes away. I wait for 10 minutes, it is still 25 minutes away. There’s not another bus route remotely near where I am right now. So I end up walking the LUAS tracks into town! Utter madness!

On the plus side I did Dundrum LUAS to Harcourt LUAS in 43 minutes! Solid effort.
    Haha! You idiot!

I finished my session on the cinder track at lunch-time and for the first time ever, decided because of recent injuries, I'd forgo the usual 3 mile uphill cool-down back to work and instead cooled-down by running to the nearby LUAS stop in Cherrywood. Arriving at the station a mile later, I was baffled when no trams were scheduled on the electronic timetable. One idiotic pause later, I set off cross-country and ran the three uphill miles to work (with a few hurdles thrown in for good measure). Now wondering if I have the Strava record from Cherrywood to Ballyogan. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

On the plus side I did Dundrum LUAS to Harcourt LUAS in 43 minutes! Solid effort.

Should've thrown in a 14 second sprint and got your workout done for the day;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

In terms of cycle lanes in Dublin I reckon I have the dream commute. The guts of 7 miles & only the first .5 mile from the house not either on the canal or a cycle lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

kit3 wrote: »
    In terms of cycle lanes in Dublin I reckon I have the dream commute. The guts of 7 miles & only the first .5 mile from the house not either on the canal or a cycle lane

If they sorted the canal from Clonsilla to Coolmine I could cycle in most of the way on that :( its not even fit for running in on!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Copenhagen
    Oslo
    Helsinki
    Nuremberg

Why do people seem to think Dublin is too small for an underground. It’s complete ignorance of how cities operate abroad. (Not picking on you, it’s a common opinion I come across, and it’s clueless). Check out the grid lock on South Circular Road, and Harold’s Cross and tell me we wouldn’t benefit from having an underground.
    demfad wrote: »
    Dublin might actually be too big for an underground or more accurately too spread out for its population. There is a critical density of population necessary to make an underground affordable. There simply isn't enough people living above each potential station to make it in any way cost effective. For example Dublin (AFAIK) has a footprint well over twice the size of Brussels, a city of comparable population. That would mean a metro in Dublin would require twice the amount of stations and twice the amount of underground lines as Brussels. It would cost way too much to build and maintain compared to what it would take in.
    A short line servicing the main areas of the city center might be the only possibility as it would have the footfall on the streets above to translate into passengers.

[rant]
    I think the problem is not how small/spread-out Dublin is, but how hard it is to get people out of their cars! It is madness. Any weekday morning, you can see the cars backed up from Harolds Cross on ... when you get down by the bridge, the people walking are progressing faster than the drivers. Then they get into town and they have the hassle/cost of parking the bloody thing.

My Dad was telling me there is a law that all new apartment blocks must be built with a certain amount of car space??? Even near the city centre in places round South Circular .... whoever cooked that up should be ashamed of themselves. That was a real opportunity to encourage car-free living near the centre.[/rant]

I was in Glasgow for work this week and it has a subway with just one circular line, very useful and seems to be used a lot. That's the same population as Dublin (though more concentrated in the centre I admit). On the other hand Edinburgh got a tram a couple of years ago and it is bit of a white elephant; it's mostly running on roads alongside buses that head in the same direction (and the tram is not really any faster ...).
    In comparison to that I'd consider the Luas a real success, just need more lines.

*And* more buses (having seen full buses race past the bus stops along Harolds Cross road).

And an earlier start to buses on bank holidays and Sundays (to accomodate runners heading to races ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Just adding a bit of positivity...

The canal cordon count has shown a very positive rise in cyclists and decrease in cars over the last few years, though the decrease in rail is worrying:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/RoadsandTraffic/Traffic/Documents/DownloadThe2014CordonCountReport.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

16k this evening without any rain or hail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Walked the dogs around 4.30 and was too warm with the sun and coat I had thinking it'll be nice like this in the morning for my long run.

Just after I came back it bucketed down sleet and hail leaving massive puddles around. I'll have no idea what to take or wear tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Walked the dogs around 4.30 and was too warm with the sun and coat I had thinking it'll be nice like this in the morning for my long run.

Just after I came back it bucketed down sleet and hail leaving massive puddles around. I'll have no idea what to take or wear tomorrow.

Whatever you wear it will be nowhere near enough when the wind is in your face and far too much when the wind is at your back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

On Thursday I got caught up in a blizzard. Look at the video on knock airport (Ireland West Airport) on Facebook to see how it was, then 15 minutes later it was boiling rain with the steam rising off the road. Crazy crazy weather for May bank holiday weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Tracks and trails on RTE 1 at the moment is show casing some of Sligo's trails if any of you are planning a break in Sligo you can see where we do our running around these parts. Worth a watch on rte player

It was sunny when I left work to cycle home. Arrived home 40 mins later having gone through hail, sleet, thunder, lightening & wind. Mad weather !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Got out late morning, knew it would be the best of the weather. 8 miles nice and easy, bit chilly but no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

Its called an Irish Summer get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ger664 wrote: »
    Its called an Irish Summer
    In April :confused::eek::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ger664 wrote: »
    Its called an Irish Summer get over it.

As the man asks , in April? It's my and my daughters birthday around this time of year and I don't recall this type of madness before, it's usually quite nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

Yes we normally get our summer in April and it nearly always tends to get worse after that so enjoy :)

These ice showers are a bit more unusual than I've seen before here - not hail stones but lumps of ice that are fairly big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

My kids were swimming at Rosslare Strand a month ago. Yesterday one was in snow boots and a parka, half an hour later another was in shorts!

It's the apocalypse I tell ya; repent ye sinners.

Usually if we have a glorious April, like last year, we have a crap summer. Crap April usually means great summer. Like an athlete, we don't want the weather peaking too soon.

Usually if we have a glorious April, like last year, we have a crap summer. Crap April usually means great summer. Like an athlete, we don't want the weather peaking too soon.

April 1995 was nice & we had a glorious summer - real thing about Irish weather is you just can't predict it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

You don't work as a postman in Donegal do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

When you ignore a poster, why do you still see threads they've started? It's quite annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

When you ignore a poster, why do you still see threads they've started? It's quite annoying.

Do you want a serious answer?

Advertisement