Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

A P wrote: »
    Hi Hard Worker - thanks for the good wishes. Exciting times ahead for you guys - how are preparations for the Real game going? I was at our 2 games against Rovers in Tallaght this season - it's a really nice stadium. Makes us wonder what might have been if our own stadium plans hadn't been scuppered. After so many years in the doldrums it's nice to see Rovers on the up again.

As you know, 10200 tickets sold out very quickly. Should be a good event.
    Things are looking up in Tallaght. It's actually cool now for local kids to wear Rovers jerseys rather than Liverpool or Manure.
    Some decent results recently for the Drogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Things are looking up in Tallaght. It's actually cool now for local kids to wear Rovers jerseys rather than Liverpool or Manure.

I was up in Tallaght 2 weeks ago for the Galway away match. I was extremely impressed by everything up there, really looking up for them. Nice to see some LOI supporters amungst us athletes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Anyone want to recommend me somewhere good to live/run in Galway city?

This might help. I lived in Galway a few years ago and asked the same question over on the Region threads:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054885358

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Anyone want to recommend me somewhere good to live/run in Galway city?

I would recommend Oranmore for you,
    1. timewise you`d be at home after work way faster than going thru town! And you could cycle in 15 mins!
    2. For socializing its only a short taxi run €20 or thereabouts
    3. Great trafficfree running around Oranmore, Renvile park, coast road and Taiwan Island.
    4. 3 miles from the airport!!
    5. lots more but depends on where your friend works too

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Foxx92 wrote: »
    I was up in Tallaght 2 weeks ago for the Galway away match. I was extremely impressed by everything up there, really looking up for them. Nice to see some LOI supporters amungst us athletes!

I predict a win for Galway United tomorrow night, Cork City have been awful recently. :( Have to agree with Hard Worker's assessment there, things are likely to get a lot worse for us before they get better.

On a different note, what about those storms in Dublin last night? :eek: I was awoken at four by the thunder, it sounded like a bomb expolding or something. The rain was biblical!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

Some decent results recently for the Drogs.

It's great to see the buzz up in Tallaght - the club shop seems to be a goldmine too. They set the standard for what other league clubs should aspire to.

Yeah, the Drogs have recovered from their rocky start and are picking up points regularly now. We only had 3 points from the first 10 games, but we've got 12 from our last 7 and moved off the bottom of the league last week. Alan Matthews has the lads playing well together, and if they lack anything in talent, they make up for it in commitment.

Financially, things are a struggle for us, and for every other team in the league I suppose. Sponsorship revenues are down due to the recession, and gates are down a bit too. This Claret & Blue Club is an attempt to establish a solid financial platform for DUFC. If 500 people join, the club gets €130,000 - I think that would cover approximately 5 months wages for the entire squad. The task is to make it as attractive for people to join as possible, and we're adding incentives on a daily basis to www.claretandblueclub.com. We'll be holding a monthly prize draw, with prizes including a sun holiday from Thomas Cook, vouchers for the Crowne Plaza Northwood Hotel, Boylesports vouchers, tickets to Ireland v Italy etc. We've been delighted with the response from local businesses - 15 of which have offered to give discounts to our members of between 5-10%. Hopefully they will benefit from the relationship too. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd be delighted to hear them. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

there's an injured sea gul sitting outside my office in Galway at the moment :( he's really distressed. I called Animal Welfare 3 hours ago and no one has come to get him :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

RICE

RICE

I know Mick Rice has many talents. However, taking care of injured seagulls is stretching his talents too much. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

RICE

An thats just crule do you not know that RICE will make the bird explode ;)

• Advertisement

colblimp, A P, Foxx92 or any other League of Ireland fan, let me know when you are coming to Tallaght Stadium next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

lol.
    I fed him some tuna and got Animal Welfare and Swan Rescue to come and take a look at him.
    He's a teenager apparently and hasn't started to fly yet. he's crying out for his mother who seems to be on top of the building trying to coax him back up again. He's made a few attempts to fly and is getting higher each time but not quite there yet (yes my work day has been centered around the seagull lol)

The match between Shamrock Rovers and Real Madrid ( Ronaldo's debut ) will be shown live on Sky Sports.

The match between Shamrock Rovers and Real Madrid ( Ronaldo's debut ) will be shown live on Sky Sports.
    Nice exposure for rovers there :) .

Will you be putting out your first team ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

colblimp, A P, Foxx92 or any other League of Ireland fan, let me know when you are coming to Tallaght Stadium next time.

Why's that, so you can have a 'welcoming committee' ready for us? :rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Any excuse to come home :p

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

colblimp wrote: »
    The GUST got a very good welcome from the Rovers fans, we met up for pre-match drinks.
    On another note, do birds actually explode if you feed them rice. I need to find me a bird and some rice:D

This documentary was posted on the Drogs forum a little while ago - http://vimeo.com/5414266 - it's really worth a watch if you would like to know a bit about what supporting a League of Ireland team is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Took my son down to Terryland last Summer - got to start them young.
    3682276475_af7b7806f2_m.jpg3683092720_a6803e86a6_m.jpg
    Pity it was a 2-0 defeat to Bohs - but thankfully after that Kenna stopped playing himself and we went on a great run :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Terryland Park is the only professional stadium I ever got to play football in....

Me and some mates snuck in for a kickabout while I was in College....Oh happy days :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Not quite off topic this but 96.56 is the magic number, sure most of you knew this but I just came across it. If you divide 96.56 by your minute pace per mile, you will get your pace in km per hour, thought that was pretty cool and handy for dreadmill users

e.g. If you run 8 min miles - 96.56 / 8 = 12.07 kph. Set the dreadmill to 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Not quite off topic this but 96.56 is the magic number, sure most of you knew this but I just came across it. If you divide 96.56 by your minute pace per mile, you will get your pace in km per hour, thought that was pretty cool and handy for dreadmill users

e.g. If you run 8 min miles - 96.56 / 8 = 12.07 kph. Set the dreadmill to 12.

The years I've wasted multiplying miles by 3/2 or dividing kms by 2/3...

colblimp wrote: »

No half time cup of tea for you so. :)

shels4ever wrote: »
    Nice exposure for rovers there :) .

Will you be putting out your first team ;)

As we have so many games in July, it's likely that we will play the full squad of 22 during the 90 minutes. So will Madrid.
    By the way, we are also playing Newcastle United and Hibernian in friendlies.

As we have so many games in July, it's likely that we will play the full squad of 22 during the 90 minutes. So will Madrid.
    By the way, we are also playing Newcastle United and Hibernian in friendlies.
    Very very busy time for you then..Sometimes i wonder about all these games mid season..

Hi Shels - there's plenty of Shelbourne references in the documentary I posted above if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

It's priorities though. Limerick FC were left with a cash shortfall of €70K after some friendlies fell through (in the knows are shouting conspiracy but thats another thread). That shortfall came very close to sinking the club. A couple of extra games (especially against prestige opposition) are good for morale, good for teh fans and very good for teh finances. Would you rather a tired team in a secure club or a fresh team in administration?

It's priorities though. Limerick FC were left with a cash shortfall of €70K after some friendlies fell through (in the knows are shouting conspiracy but thats another thread). That shortfall came very close to sinking the club. A couple of extra games (especially against prestige opposition) are good for morale, good for teh fans and very good for teh finances. Would you rather a tired team in a secure club or a fresh team in administration?
    Very true but it can come to the point where it will be about getting big name teams over and then putting out a second string team for league games, I know when shels place a few years ago agains man u , some so called fan's werent happy that shels put out a second strig side, because main focus was on the domestic league...If it doesnt take away from the league i'm all for it... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Copper Faced Jacks is NOT conducive to Marathon training. At least I don't think so, I haven't been out running yet today...
    tergat would not be happy :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I just had a cheese and Tayto sambo - forgot how tasty they were :P

Advertisement