Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

When you ignore a poster, why do you still see threads they've started? It's quite annoying.

and also you can see that they've posted in other threads but not the content, its a pity, its an option that could work well if it worked properly!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Firedance wrote: »
    and also you can see that they've posted in other threads but not the content, its a pity, its an option that could work well if it worked properly!

You don't on the mobile site
    Have you checked the new interface?

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    You don't on the mobile site
    Have you checked the new interface?

New? New?!! Ugh I hate change :p ok thanks Ray I'll try it there, makes more sense!

I've been experimenting with Almond milk, using it in smoothies etc. Does anyone know where to get Almonds in larger quantities? If you buy them in supermarkets they are dear enough.... Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I've been experimenting with Almond milk, using it in smoothies etc. Does anyone know where to get Almonds in larger quantities? If you buy them in supermarkets they are dear enough.... Thanks.

Holland & Barrett sell them in very large packets but they're still expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Ososlo wrote: »
    Holland & Barrett sell them in very large packets but they're still expensive.

Best approach to shopping in H & B is only go in when they have a sale of some sort. Seems like they have one on every second week although not all stock items are included in each sale - but you could stock up when they are. Other than than, I think whole almonds are competitively priced in Aldi, you'll find them in the baking section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Try the baking sections of the supermarkets, especially Lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I set up Strava for the first time yesterday and uploaded a few runs. I was getting acquainted with it there and having a look at things like the flyby feature.

It was showing people flying up Roebuck Road yesterday during my commute home, passing me at ungodly speeds and then continuing to run for another 25km+. Now I already know I'm slow, but this just made me feel so pathetically inept, as well as in awe of these godlike creatures, that I was about ready to have a huge crisis of confidence.

Then I realised it was showing me cyclists. :pac:

Done :))

I take it from the response on the feedback thread it won't be happening anytime soon.

I take it from the response on the feedback thread it won't be happening anytime soon.

possibly not :pac: I haven't tried it on the new site (ugh) though have you?

possibly not :pac: I haven't tried it on the new site (ugh) though have you?

The new site is offensive to the eyes, I stayed with it for all of 10 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Just thought I'd throw this in here as I'm not sure if it's a taboo topic on boards (couldn't find much from searching) - but is there any reason there's no mention of the Darkness Into Light runs anywhere on Boards? I figured it'd be somewhat relevant or is there just no interest as it's not regarded as a race? Especially when it's on all over Ireland.

Just curious! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

As well as the best athlete in the country promoting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Shlippery wrote: »
    Just thought I'd throw this in here as I'm not sure if it's a taboo topic on boards (couldn't find much from searching) - but is there any reason there's no mention of the Darkness Into Light runs anywhere on Boards? I figured it'd be somewhat relevant or is there just no interest as it's not regarded as a race? Especially when it's on all over Ireland.

Nothing taboo about it at all. It seems like a very worthy cause, an actual event for charity, unlike those many other events which pose as charity events, but in fact are for-profit.

But it is not a race (their words, not mine), and with the majority of people who post here being interested in improving their PBs, you are unlikely to get many from this demographic who would be interested.

I think there have been threads before, I'd search but I'm on the phone
    It isn't well regarded. Too crowded, and not very safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

RayCun wrote: »
    I think there have been threads before, I'd search but I'm on the phone
    It isn't well regarded. Too crowded, and not very safe.

I've never had a problem with darkness into light with safety as the majority are walkers. Are you mixing it with run in the dark?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Cheers for responses - I wasn't sure as I like to keep an eye on A/R for upcoming events and was just curious that DIL didn't feature anywhere considering the number of venues it's being hosted in!

I did it a few years back in Galway as my first 5k ever and venture into running! It went along the prom and was a brilliant' feeling running near the end as the sun started to come up. Really gave me the itch for running!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cheers for responses - I wasn't sure as I like to keep an eye on A/R for upcoming events and was just curious that DIL didn't feature anywhere considering the number of venues it's being hosted in!

I did it a few years back in Galway as my first 5k ever and venture into running! It went along the prom and was a brilliant' feeling running near the end as the sun started to come up. Really gave me the itch for running!
    Start a thread! They're free!

El Caballo wrote: »
    I've never had a problem with darkness into light with safety as the majority are walkers. Are you mixing it with run in the dark?

Maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Lougheee

I set up Strava for the first time yesterday and uploaded a few runs. I was getting acquainted with it there and having a look at things like the flyby feature.

It was showing people flying up Roebuck Road yesterday during my commute home, passing me at ungodly speeds and then continuing to run for another 25km+. Now I already know I'm slow, but this just made me feel so pathetically inept, as well as in awe of these godlike creatures, that I was about ready to have a huge crisis of confidence.

Then I realised it was showing me cyclists. :pac:

USA Half-Marathon championships were on at the weekend. The winner of the women's race, Tara Welling was asked to change her activity on Strava to a 'ride' not a run as clearly, no woman could possibly move at under 5:20 mile pace without a bicycle. The cheek!

Can't post a link but its on her twitter account

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Lougheee wrote: »
    USA Half-Marathon championships were on at the weekend. The winner of the women's race, Tara Welling was asked to change her activity on Strava to a 'ride' not a run as clearly, no woman could possibly move at under 5:20 mile pace without a bicycle. The cheek!

Can't post a link but its on her twitter account

Ha! Here it is:

https://twitter.com/Tara_Welling/status/726847406424379392

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Singer wrote: »

TBF the commenter subsequently commented:
    I apologize! You are a beastly runner! 4 days ago

Pretty funny though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Start a thread! They're free!

I hear there's talk of charging certain prolific thread-starters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Excuse my Strava ignorance, but what on earth are CRs? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Chivito550 wrote: »

Strava has "segments", which are basically routes that somebody has named. Strava then keeps track of who runs fastest on those routes. CR means "course record".

A lot of segments are dominated by cyclists somehow mis-adding their 4 minute/mile 20 mile cycles as runs, you can clear them out but it's a bit of a nuisance.

You can track how you do on segments over time etc. It's all a little bit of pointless fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Chivito550 wrote: »

For runners who will never get a real one such as a 400M OR

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ger664 wrote: »
    For runners who will never get a real one such as a 400M OR

Or for those who run far enough to register outside of a GPS's margin for error when standing still.

But seriously, Strava also seems to create segments by itself on occasion. I've seen myself with CRs on random segments only to see I'm the only person to have error run them.

Advertisement