Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Singer wrote: »
    Strava has "segments", which are basically routes that somebody has named. Strava then keeps track of who runs fastest on those routes. CR means "course record".

A lot of segments are dominated by cyclists somehow mis-adding their 4 minute/mile 20 mile cycles as runs, you can clear them out but it's a bit of a nuisance.

You can track how you do on segments over time etc. It's all a little bit of pointless fun.

Haha, so what you're saying is I could go for a trot along a very specific route through my housing estate, and claim a "course record"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Haha, so what you're saying is I could go for a trot along a very specific route through my housing estate, and claim a "course record"?

Yeah, and Strava will give you a little virtual trophy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Only if you don't have a 'privacy zone' around your house, otherwise you'll have random strava users turning up to take you down ;)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Only if you don't have a 'privacy zone' around your house, otherwise you'll have random strava users turning up to take you down ;)

If I set a route so complicated with twists and turns, the person rocking up will need a map to negotiate the course.

davedanon wrote: »
    Yeah, and Strava will give you a little virtual trophy!

A trophy? How wonderful. Virtual backslaps. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No, they come when you get or give Kudos, Stravas version of the Thanks button.

Seems like people take these virtual trophies a bit too seriously.

http://m.phys.org/news/2016-05-app-strava-uproar-elite-user.html

Seems like people take these virtual trophies a bit too seriously.

http://m.phys.org/news/2016-05-app-strava-uproar-elite-user.html

Strava were sued in the US (where else) by the family of a guy chasing a segment in San Francisco who died after braking to avoid a car resulting in him loosing control. Their case was based on their claims that Strava were negligent and encouraged him to speed.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Strava were sued in the US (where else) by the family of a guy chasing a segment in San Francisco who died after braking to avoid a car resulting in him loosing control. Their case was based on their claims that Strava were negligent and encouraged him to speed.

Strava won the case, though. Or rather, the family lost.

Good grief, and did they win the case? I sincerely hope not.

Reminds me of the time when a mother who was bringing her kids to an Nsync concert, got stuck in traffic, missed the gig, and sued Nsync as a result.

The USA is a funny funny place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It's actually quite good for cycling, nice way to challenge yourself on specific hills.

Outside of that, it's a joke! Runners with stupid trophy segments on which they are the only person running!!

Dave just got in there, the family lost. The judge said that cyclists are aware of the risks when they go riding, and I think it's in the conditions of Strava somewhere that absolves them of being the cause of any incidents when using it.

Gavlor wrote: »
    It's actually quite good for cycling, nice way to challenge yourself on specific hills.

Outside of that, it's a joke! Runners with stupid trophy segments on which they are the only person running!!

Like I said, Strava can automatically create segments which is why you see that. Not sure if they still do these days.

Coincidentally I only read a story this morning from California about how Strava was used to ban MTB'ers from trails in a nature reserves. Hikers and horse riders had been complaining about them, specifically their speed, so the council used Strava data to check and voted to ban them from the area. And apparently in certain counties around SF speed guns are used against them.

http://road.cc/content/news/188615-strava-data-used-ban-cyclists-trail
    https://dirtmountainbike.com/news/incredibly-unacceptable-strava-data-used-ban-cyclists-california-trails.html

"Strava was used to ban MTB'ers from trails in a nature reserves"

I was going to ask how Motor Torpedo Boats could get into a forest...

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Theres nothing worse than someone taking your trophy while appearing to run the segment faster than the Bolt

There is nothing worse than someone taking your trophy while appearing to run the segment faster than the Bolt

jamule wrote: »
    There is nothing worse than someone taking your trophy while appearing to run the segment faster than the Bolt

If you are covering a 12k route slower than Usain Bolt, then your "course record" isn't worth talking about in the first place!

Anyway, I like Strava and the social aspect to it, it's good to see the training people are doing and where, it's not suited to track I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

If you are covering a 12k route slower than Usain Bolt, then your "course record" isn't worth talking about in the first place!

Segments are often pretty short sections of a run and a dodgy GPS reading can really skew the numbers. I have a 1:12 half mile and a 3:07 mile to my name on Strava including a section in the sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Anyway, I like Strava and the social aspect to it, it's good to see the training people are doing and where, it's not suited to track I guess.

It's interesting if you follow an elite or two and see the kind of sessions they do. I keep track of a few friends who live elsewhere and chat about running etc. As far as segments are concerned, I've never gone out for a course record or anything. I just think its handy to compare my performance over certain segments, be it a hill or a 1 mile stretch I regularly run because it shows whether or not I'm improving - i.e. I ran this segment 3 months ago and now my pace increased for the same or less effort.

The flyby feature is great especially during races - I've learned a thing or to about proper pacing by seeing how the lad who flew passed me with a mile to go paced himself.

• Advertisement

No idea who he is. The Bolt is a mystery strava segment destroyer, once done 12k in 12mins. He has a brother called nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Most of the tracks have them, for 400m, 800m, 1600m, 3k, 5k, etc. Try and win them trophies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Girl driving using Snapchat speed filter plows into car leaving the other occupant brain damaged.

And she kept on taking pics after!! Even in the ambulance.

http://www.geek.com/mobile/snapchat-sued-for-encouraging-teenager-to-drive-at-107mph-before-hitting-another-car-1654327/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Shlippery wrote: »
    Cheers for responses - I wasn't sure as I like to keep an eye on A/R for upcoming events and was just curious that DIL didn't feature anywhere considering the number of venues it's being hosted in!

I did it a few years back in Galway as my first 5k ever and venture into running! It went along the prom and was a brilliant' feeling running near the end as the sun started to come up. Really gave me the itch for running!

Big crowd in UCC this morning, was ~3k last year & suspect it might be more than that this time round. Thankfully the rain stayed away. I passed one guy in a club singlet in the last mile, guess he was taking it seriously enough :)

There I've mentioned DIL again for you!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So Strava tells me I have logged 666 runs. IT waits until Friday 13th to tell me this :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

adrian522 wrote: »
    So Strava tells me I have logged 666 runs. IT waits until Friday 13th to tell me this :eek:

Argh! You have loads of unread messages!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Singer wrote: »
    Argh! You have loads of unread messages!!!

They're not messages they're notifications. Completely different.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

They're not messages they're notifications. Completely different.

You still haven't cleared them! That's the OCD in Singer. I'm the same...that's all I see when I click your link! :)

Well I'm a bit of an OCD nerd myself but this dropdown gets populated everytime a run gets added, or a cycle gets uploaded so it does happen several times per day and the notification thing just gets ignored!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Well I'm a bit of an OCD nerd myself but this dropdown gets populated everytime a run gets added, or a cycle gets uploaded so it does happen several times per day and the notification thing just gets ignored!

But you only have to click the bell to clear the notifications!! g'wan do us all a favour and post back when its 'fixed' :pac:

Advertisement