Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

"I think the big problem this country has is being politically correct. I’ve been challenged by so many people and I don’t, frankly, have time for total political correctness. And to be honest with you, this country doesn’t have time, either."

Donald Trump

(Edit: I disagree with the above)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

That's it? A tepid bromide, essentially meaningless, and mostly employed by people to justify their prejudices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

demfad wrote: »
    (Edit: I disagree with the above)

So, it's not one of his good points, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

For the day that's in it!
    Throw those curtains wide

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There is a documentary on the famous 1984 race with Zola Budd and Mary Decker on sky Atlantic next Friday night. This about it here:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/19/zola-budd-1984-olympics-mary-decker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭donnacha

Would have posted this in the rave thread but seeing as that's closed...

I became a real runner this morning midway into a 14 mile session. I was on a main road in the Algarve near Faro/Luz so no chance of nearby facilities but did find a dirt track and some bushes to squat behind. The 2 threshold miles post poop were the most consistent of the morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

As a big Sligo Rovers fan, massive congrats to Dundalk. Brilliant performance!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Breege Connolly's progression is pretty interesting - just over 10 years ago her times weren't exceptional, and now she's presumably tapering for the marathon in Rio:
    http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=18985

Decent interview with her here:
    http://www.the42.ie/breege-connolly-interview-2903333-Aug2016/

Also, this is funny:

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/sport/208174/Breege-Connolly---fun-runner.html

“I was so naive, now when I look back on it that it was unreal. I did no training worth talking about for that first marathon. I had seen Teresa out running for it so I decided to join her and go for a few runs. I think I did two 18 mile runs and a couple of six mile runs but that was it.”

If there was a novices thread back then she'd have been told not to run it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Would love to know more about how she made that journey from 4:01 to 2:37, which is typically glossed over.

By the way, how is this off topic? :puzzled: :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Murph_D wrote: »
    Would love to know more about how she made that journey from 4:01 to 2:37, which is typically glossed over.

By the way, how is this off topic? :puzzled: :)

I didn't think it was worthy of its own thread (they're expensive you know), and it wasn't a random running question... maybe we need a "random running stuff" thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Might be of some use to some people, but I just realised today that Decathlon has an Irish website www.decathlon.ie that seems reasonable enough, especially when factoring delivery in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Might of some use to some people, but I just realised today that Decathlon has an Irish website www.decathlon.ie that seems reasonable enough, especially when factoring delivery in.

Dearer than their shop in france, running top is 9 euros on it, only 3 euros over there.
    But it is 9 euro's on the French website.

I never actually looked at running stuff there, I like browsing the equipment sections. I was looking for something related to camping that I couldn't find in an Irish store and I saw reference to it on a UK forum to it being in Decathlon, and when I went there to see what the shipping fee was I was directed to the Irish site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I never actually looked at running stuff there, I like browsing the equipment sections. I was looking for something related to camping that I couldn't find in an Irish store I saw reference on a UK forum to it being in Decathlon, and when I went there to see what the shipping fee was I was directed to the Irish site.

Their stuff is ok in fairness, bought a few t-shirts this year when in France and a few last year. Socks were cheap. Their shop is massive, spend a good few hours looking around in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Do toe nails grow quicker when its warmer/more humid?

Just a recent observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Yay the Olympics is starting :D
    Enjoy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ososlo wrote: »
    Yay the Olympics is starting :D
    Enjoy!!!

Gonna try. Been looking forward to it for months.

But you can't go five minutes without hearing something bad about it.

Before I fall asleep, do the athletes come out at the start or end of the ceremony?

Before I fall asleep, do the athletes come out at the start or end of the ceremony?

You've probably fallen asleep, but it's looking like it'll be at the end.

• Advertisement

I'm just about hanging in here. Had to stop a film I was watching already, not looking good for the length of this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Gave up watching after about 40 minutes, sound was rubbish and not a lot happening. From seeing the "highlights" on the news this morning I didn't miss anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Didn't bother at all. Was falling asleep on the couch before it even started! :eek:

I watched a bit, got pretty bored and went to bed. Recorded the end just in case they were saving the budget for some spectacular finale but that was optimistic on my part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

At least Pele wasn't to be seen!

Silver for Annalise!! Woo hoo!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Ososlo wrote: »
    Silver for Annalise!! Woo hoo!!!!

Ah that's fantastic!! She's worked so hard for that medal all those trips over in the last 4 years to practice. Brilliant :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm not fond of "only in Ireland" comments, but ticket-scalping at the worst attended games in decades is something special...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Apparently (d'Indo website) The lad was found , naked, in his son's room after his wife in his room told the seekers he had gone home. Not suspicious at all..
    RTE reported he has just been formally charged. wow.

• Advertisement

You'll see the video of him opening the door to the police in the nip on Twitter. Who opens the door of a hotel in the nip?

Advertisement