Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

:( Awe that sucks!!
    Stick with it though. It'll get better. Promise ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Galway is a rocking town, give it a chance and you will love it. Bad flatmates are a mare but it's not forever and there is so much going on in town over the summer - the races, the arts festival for example. And you have the best collection of pubs in teh country, endless live music venues...

It could be worse, you could be stuck in Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Galway is a rocking town, give it a chance and you will love it.
    Everyone keeps telling me that, but all I want to do is go home.

I agree with Amadeus
    I love love love Galway.
    Have an interview on Wednesday in Shannon but if that doesn't work out I'm thinking Galway in September :D:D
    Have friends and family up there so I feel right at home every time I go up there.

Have friends and family up there so I feel right at home every time I go up there.
    That's part of my problem right there, I've nobody west of Celbridge.

• Advertisement

What made you move to Galway?
    I'm sure you'll have no hassle making friends. Everyone in Galway's really friendly.

It was the first place that I could get a job. Really regretting going now, wish I'd hung around in Dublin for a bit longer. I didn't realise just how much blue I bleed until now...

Stick it out... trust me! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

It was the first place that I could get a job. Really regretting going now, wish I'd hung around in Dublin for a bit longer. I didn't realise just how much blue I bleed until now...
    Give it time. Starting a new job is always tough and having to move makes it tougher. I was about your age when I had to go to England on my own for work (was in IT too) and hated it for about 6 weeks and wanted to come home every day. But I soon got into it - made friends etc and had misgivings when I came home about two years later. Remember your getting very valuable experience in a time when its really tough out there, it will stand to you it time - trust me. Anything is better than wasting away on the dole - losing all that hard work you put in studying.
    Give it 2 months then see how you feel. And remember there's always someone here.

gerard65 wrote: »
    Give it time. Starting a new job is always tough and having to move makes it tougher. I was about your age when I had to go to England on my own for work (was in IT too) and hated it for about 6 weeks and wanted to come home every day. But I soon got into it - made friends etc and had misgivings when I came home about two years later. Remember your getting very valuable experience in a time when its really tough out there, it will stand to you it time - trust me. Anything is better than wasting away on the dole - losing all that hard work you put in studying.
    Give it 2 months then see how you feel. And remember there's always someone here.

My lease on this house is only 2 months...

Oddly enough, right now I'm having misgivings about the whole IT industry. I've never been hugely motivated by money, and pretty much anything I've seen is "just how many zeros can you either add to the company bottom line, or how many can you save?". I really don't want that to be the entire purpose of my life, I'd prefer to make a difference for people instead of profit... Unfortunately at 25 I should be past my idealistic stage!

• Advertisement

[quote=rainbow kirby;61023914Unfortunately at 25 I should be past my idealistic stage![/quote]

LOL. I'm 44 and still don't know what I want to do with my life. I've had lots of different careers. IT, Landscape Designer, Horticulturist to name a just a few. At the moment I'm trying out Computer Aided Draughting - might go back to college and study Architecture - who knows? Got interested in maths a couple of years ago and whould love to study cosmopolgy(can't even spell it).
    Never use age as a barrier - look at AC/DC, in their 50s and 60s and still the best band in the world.
    'AT 25 I SHOULD BE PAST MY IDEALISTIC STAGE' - BULL. The world is too big and live is too short to think that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

i've never looked at this thread before... just read the last few posts.

Hey RK :( I feel awful for you- it's really hard to settle in somewhere when you know no one but Galway really is a great place to live. it will get better when your friend moves down and you've a partner in crime.
    In the meantime if you fancy a chat/ coffee/ run (slowly) with an oldie give me a shout.

gerard65 wrote: »
    Got interested in maths a couple of years ago and whould love to study cosmopolgy(can't even spell it).
    Astrophysics is awesome, I love reading about it! I did two and a half years of a maths degree before I did Comp Sci, I do still have an interest in the subject on a recreational level.

</nerd>

Nothing nerdy about maths - its amazing once you get into it. Ever read 'Big Bang' by Simon -someboby, great read.
    Just don't quit too soon - give this job a go. You can always do something else later, at 25 your still very young and you could always go back to college later - lots do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

wow what a great place to run. was up in dub for few days and somebody online here recommended it.
    lovely tracks, the place is full of runners. lucky you if you liver near this place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

wow what a great place to run. was up in dub for few days and somebody online here recommended it.
    lovely tracks, the place is full of runners. lucky you if you liver near this place.

It sure is great, but I find Tymon park to be even better and I only realised it was on my doorstep a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

menoscemo wrote: »
    It sure is great, but I find Tymon park to be even better and I only realised it was on my doorstep a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

Pretty close to me too, it's about 15 minutes run to the Spawell entrance of it for me. When I'm home, that is... *frown*

Pretty close to me too, it's about 15 minutes run to the Spawell entrance of it for me. When I'm home, that is... *frown*

I think you are at the firhouse/tallaght side? I am more up the kimmage/crumlin end and am only 2 miles from the greenhills entrance.
    Sounds like you are quite homesick but I am sure you'll get over it, Galway is a great place, I reckon you need a few nights out there ;);

I think you are at the firhouse/tallaght side? I am more up the kimmage/crumlin end and am only 2 miles from the greenhills entrance.
    Sounds like you are quite homesick but I am sure you'll get over it, Galway is a great place, I reckon you need a few nights out there ;);

Yeah, I'm in Firhouse when I'm home.

Everyone keeps telling me Galway is great, but all I can think about is going home on Thursday night. It's so tempting right now to just load up everything and take it home... and stay home...

Yeah, I'm in Firhouse when I'm home.

Everyone keeps telling me Galway is great, but all I can think about is going home on Thursday night. It's so tempting right now to just load up everything and take it home... and stay home...

Nah, stick with it, much like running there is much to be gained from overcoming adversity and you will come out the other end improved ;)

I've always wondered about your Screen name, given your previous location under an umbrella is it in anyway related to Rainbow Randolf from the movie 'Death to Smoochy'? I loved that movie...

* wonders if anyone will know what the hell he is talking about

• Advertisement

Nope, it's actually related to Super Smash Bros Melee, the GameCube game. The 6th event match is called "Kirbys on Parade", the tagline is "Look out! A rainbow of kirbys is after you", and I always played as Kirby in all the Super Smash Bros games. I'm not as much of an enormous gamer geek now as I used to be, but I still enjoy some.

* wonders what the hell these young uns are talking about sometmes :pac:

I have an interview today :O
    Hate being the interviewee. Much prefer being the interviewer :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Best of luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Yeah Marlay and Tymon are great. Have you tried Corkagh park in Clondalkin ? By far my favourite place to run besides the Phoenix park.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

rainbow kirby once you unpack and get a routine going, PM me and I`ll show you a few good runs around Galway and you`ll never go back!!
    All this fresh air..
    Anyway the Arts festival, Races etc are coming up...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Magnet wrote: »
    rainbow kirby once you unpack and get a routine going, PM me and I`ll show you a few good runs around Galway and you`ll never go back!!
    All this fresh air..
    Anyway the Arts festival, Races etc are coming up...:D

yeah the arts festival looks good. saw a clip on tv3 last night, from a previous years festival, of some French dude, juggling chainsaws, wearing only a leather vest and thong. Maybe not your thing rk, but I for one though it was very entertaining.

(I'm a married man by the way, to a girl)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Good luck with the interview MunsterGal

Thanks guys :)

The recruitment business is a dead end at the moment and my own job is on the rocks :( My manager can't give me a definate answer on if or when I'll be let go........

RK - I'm telling ya... Stick it out. Galway is one of the nicest cities I've ever had the pleasure of being in and living close to. WHile going to school in Athenry I used to skip school and get on the train and spend my days that should ahve been for revision for the LC sitting in Salthill lol

• Advertisement

Yeah Marlay and Tymon are great. Have you tried Corkagh park in Clondalkin ? By far my favourite place to run besides the Phoenix park.

No I haven't. I might be moving back out to Parkwest in a few months and if so I will definately give it a try.

Advertisement