Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Dear Galway,

Someday we'll meet again. On better terms, like a holiday or something. Maybe I'll even bring a load of drink. It's not you, it's me, but unfortunately right now I just can't stand to be in the same county as you.

Love, Kirby.

Yes, I'm going home. So it ends.

awww... but better for you not to be miserable. Come back and get a pb in streets of galway just to add a little postive in with all those negative galway thoughts ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

For anyone doing the 5 miler on saturday in Phoenix park, I ran the course tonight so here is my Blog post on the course. Hopefully you find it useful...
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Ended up staying really late in work today, and normally I would have gave my run a miss, but having been inactive of late and to keep my Promise to Onsola Ivax, I went out to phoenix park at about 8.45 and ran saturdays course.
    Took it easy and found it fine, also feeling good! Overall 5.01 miles in 44"35 avg pace 8"54 HR 149
    Here is the elevation profile from my garmin:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/8979892

First mile and a half are downhill. The start on chesterfield av is a wide road but it narrows to a pedestrain only road within half a mile (Kyber Road). This road is also pretty full of pot holes and uneven tarmac so you really want to be out of traffic when you hit it. anyway, at about 1.5miles you turn off Kyber road onto Military pass and hit your first uphill stretch for the next half a mile, nothing too tough but it is steadily up. You reach 2 miles in the middle of the curves on Military road and right at the 2 mile mark, you go right down for the next 3/4 mile. The last quarter of the mile is slowly uphill, but still mile 3 is probably the quickest on the course...Mile 4 is steadily uphill, no big gradient just a steady slog, it flattens right out at bang on mile 4 and the last mile is as flat as a pancake.

So in summary: mile 0 to 1.5 steadily downhill. 1.5-2 uphill medium gradient. Mile 2-2.75 downhill and fast. 2.75-4.0 steadily uphill. mile 4-5 flat as a pancake- a perfect opportunity to strecth the legs and go for that PB.

Overall it is not a difficult course, I expected it to be much tougher and the hills to be steeper. I think unless you train on totally flat ground it will be no problem. All the same you would want to have energy for that 4th mile it could be a killer if you've gone off too fast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ugh thank god it's Friday, longest week ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

menoscemo wrote: »
    For anyone doing the 5 miler on saturday in Phoenix park, I ran the course tonight so here is my Blog post on the course. Hopefully you find it useful...

thanks for that menoscemo. I saw your comment to OI in the log and was hoping you'd post. Cheers.

+1 RacoonQueen. Delighted its Friday and I'll be off work for a week (Barcelona here I come) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Ugh thank god it's Friday, longest week ever!

Don't you mean longest 6 weeks EVER? No? Just me then i guess ... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Sorry it didn't work out for you rainbowkirby.
    Do you have a job back at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No, but I'm thinking of going back to college in September to do a masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

rk never mind galway try mayo ( a tad more civilised :-)

Nah, I think Dublin will do me just fine! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

same thing , full of mayo ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

WOOHOO!!! Its friday and Im off on my hols to China for 2 weeks on SUnday morning! No I dont have the time or the money for this sort of gallavanting but Im sure it will be an adventure and a half!

Yippeee!!!! :cool: :D

Have fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Hello All
    Happy Friday :D:D:D

So spoke to my manager today about my new job offer - and now she's given me some food for thought. She's off until Wedneday so we're having a meeting then so that she can discuss a role that she wants me to take on here :D New role = COMMISSION :D:D something that I'm not getting at the moment.

MarieC wrote: »
    WOOHOO!!! Its friday and Im off on my hols to China for 2 weeks on SUnday morning! No I dont have the time or the money for this sort of gallavanting but Im sure it will be an adventure and a half!

U lucky thing. Would love to be heading off to China! :(

Have a fantastic time though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

MarieC wrote: »

Sweet, just booking a chill out trip away to taper for Kenmare myself :)

Have a good one MarieC

I have a planned 10 miler and i really don't wana get out of the bed.

Encouraging words for me anyone to get me up and atom?

ULstudent wrote: »

There is a zombie under your bed. Run! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I made a deal with my fiance Im not allowed talk about running all day tomorrow. Have no idea how I'll manage that :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

The runners 5 secs ahead of and behind you in the last race have just done theirs!

There is a zombie under your bed. Run! :pac:

But i like zombies!
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    The runners 5 secs ahead of and behind you in the last race have just done theirs!

Im off to get ready :D

• Advertisement

once you've done it you can go straight back to bed :D:D:D

I'm baking apple crumble again.........yum yum yummy

I want apple crumble. nyom

i attempted to make bread there the other day and made a shambles of it. very doughy. in my defense it looked done. whats going against me is that i used the ready made bread flour!

Back from my run. Didn't do 10 miles but did a little over 10k instead. Went out feeling shoite at mile 1 thinking that id feel better as i went along. felt worse and worse as i went on.

Just called it a day. At least i got something done. Didn't even really drink much last night but as someone on another thread stated it was prob the mixing of drinks that killed me.

at least you went out there and did something. I'm back to training again tomorrow. Starting with a 3 mile (assuming my legs are ok :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Had a race yesterday and for around 10 minutes had nobody within sight either behind or infront of me! Slowest 10 mins of my life.

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Had a race yesterday and for around 10 minutes had nobody within sight either behind or infront of me! Slowest 10 mins of my life.

That'd freak me out. Id keep wondering if i completely lost my mind and ended up going the wrong way or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

That'd freak me out. Id keep wondering if i completely lost my mind and ended up going the wrong way or something.

I thought I had gone the wrong was but thankfully I saw the marker for the next km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

just had acupuncture for the first time ever - strange sensation, like something a whole lot heavier than an itsy bitsy needle was pressing into muscle....typical me though, once I got used to it (c. 2mins) I fell asleep - according to the physio that was good thing to do though, as the more relaxed you are the more effective it is - any excuse for a nap I say! :p

Monday - BOO HISS!

BUT - the legs feel much better today after doing nothing all day yesterday :D and the Boss is off for 2 days so that's always good :D:D

The last job i was in was 6 month college work placement in an office full of old biddies including the boss.

They all mouthed about each other but they all loved me to bits and lept telling me hoe they wished their child was like me.

Anywho just back from a run their 6.53 miles in 46.13 a cording to my HRM. Happy with that as just went with the flow. Didnt push myself hard ot anything. Nice out too. Not too hot not too cold but nice breeze there

• Advertisement

Nothing worse than an office full of people bitching about each other all the time! There's only 4 of us in the office. 3 of us get on grand. the boss is a bit of a headwrecker at the best of times but when we're bringing in money she generally chills out a bit lol
    Well done on your run this morning :)

Advertisement