Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I am very serious when i say that i am going to either throw myself off a cliff or cry.

his evening went and did 5.5 miles and finished off with a 30 min spin class. Run was grand, finished it back at the gym ... made my way to the aerobics studio ... got on the bike. 25 min in and i feel a niggle on my right achilles. class finishes 5 min later. get off the bike. Yes there is something wrong with it :( kinda hurts a tad to walk on it let alone run on it. Just back home now and have it iced and elevated. To say im upset is an understatement. All i keep thinking is all the the last few months hard work ****ed out the window.

Pray for me that it clears up within the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

ULstudent wrote: »
    I am very serious when i say that i am going to either throw myself off a cliff or cry.

his evening went and did 5.5 miles and finished off with a 30 min spin class. Run was grand, finished it back at the gym ... made my way to the aerobics studio ... got on the bike. 25 min in and i feel a niggle on my right achilles. class finishes 5 min later. get off the bike. Yes there is something wrong with it :( kinda hurts a tad to walk on it let alone run on it. Just back home now and have it iced and elevated. To say im upset is an understatement. All i keep thinking is all the the last few months hard work ****ed out the window.

Ul hopefully it's not too serious and you will be back real soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hopefully it's not too serious. Don't over react just yet...tomorrow, two days time it could all be fine. I know just how you feel though, there's still 8 weeks to go and with all the work you've done you'll be fine with a week of rest...and then easing back into things. Keep calm, don't stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

MCOS wrote: »
    Aw bless! My little lad is starting school tomorrow morning. Last day of Creche on Friday and he couldn't have been cooler about it

MCOS " So Alex how was your last day of Creche today?"
    Alex "Good Daddy, I ate all my dinner"
    MCOS "Did you give all your friends big hugs?"
    Alex "Yeah I did and they hugged me too"
    MCOS "Are you all excited about starting big school on Monday"
    Alex "Yeah Daddy... sigh... can we play football now?"

Thats a sign of a confident child! Bet he got on great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

My fingers and toes are crossed for you ULstudent. Hope its nothing too bad

• Advertisement

Cheers lads. Just feeling really low over it at the mo. I don't take well to knock backs at all. Good nights sleep will hopefully do it all the world of good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Cheers lads. Just feeling really low over it at the mo. I don't take well to knock backs at all. Good nights sleep will hopefully do it all the world of good!

I hope it passes quickly fella, you are a strong runner, a few days rest won't do you any harm at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

How are you feeling this morning ULstudent? Hope a night's rest helped... Think we're all at the stage where we're bruised and battered, but the end line is (sort of) in sight, isn't it? isn't it?? Please someone tell me this will all be over soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Yes, it will be over soon and then we'll all sign up for the next one ;)

I hope its better today UL.

Thanks lads.

Today it's not as bad. Still niggling though. Im not going to do anything over the next few days and see what the story with it is.

I just hate not doing anything whether corss training/running etc :mad: but a few days off should do no harm

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

someone has posted a thread over on bargain alerts that compeed.ie has a free sample link on the home page. Everyone loves freebies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Bally8 wrote: »
    Thats a sign of a confident child! Bet he got on great.

He sure did, as cool as you like he was

Just back from Temple Street with my 7 yr old daughter. She was playing in the garden, fell awkwardly and broke her collar bone... She was literally screaming with pain, and she's normally really brave. I was trying to work out where the problem was and I couldn't find her left collar bone so pretty much thought, that's the problem then! She's okay now, we didn't have to wait too long to be seen. No big treatment, just a high sling under her clothes for 2 weeks, then outside for 1 week. But she can't join gymnastics so she's gutted...:(

Sorry to hear that Rachel.

Well my achilles feels a t ad better now. Have not trained the past 2 days at all which has nearly killed me!!! Walked to do errands but that was it. Im back to work tomorrow and untill sunday ill do the bike and swim etc and see on sunday. Ill deffo be easing back into it. Im thinking doing 10 on sat fast followed by a fast 9 miles on sunday followed again by a fast 6m on moday evening contributed to it. I never really run fast 3 days in a row if at all in a row like that so it's a case of too much in too little of a time span. Lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hope miniRach gets better soon!

She's a bit better, but it's very sore. Simple things that I have to fix - she can't get clothes on because her arm is in a high sling, so lots of zippy tops... Also the sling itches her but it hurts to scratch ... The toilet roll in the bathroom is on the left side of the loo so she can't reach... Her car seat had seat belt going over left shoulder... The only pain killer that really helps in Nurofen for kids and I dropped a (almost full) bottle of it last night in the kitchen and it smashed on the floor... etc etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Twiggy does it yet again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Twiggy does it yet again. :)

Swap you Vinny Faherty for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Swap you Vinny Faherty for him?

Come back in three years, and bring plenty of money with you. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Home from Leeds. Tired. Not looking forward to a 20 mile run later today. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

My sister gave me two tickets for the matinee performance of "Tom Crean - Explorer" at the Olympia yesterday. (She'd booked for the wrong date and they wouldn't let her change!) I enjoyed it much more than I expected, and I felt like a big wimp for only running 22 miles in the morning, in very pleasant weather.

Going out on my 1st run since monday and hope the achilles doesn't act up.
    Cycling is grand and no pain there since thursday so i hope i can run. ill take it nice and easy and see how things go.

Id say racing in the blarney half next sun is out. if i am doing it by chance ill take it as a recovery run.

Roll on the dublin half. Ill have to squish in on the start though to try and get a good time as there are well over 7000 entrants now. EEK!

So back from run. Said i would go out and aim to do 30min on the riverbank so not to over do it. Well went along the riverbank and maling my way back just thinking away in myown world. Ended up running for just over an hour. Covered 8 miles.

Ran about 45-1min slower than my normal pace. Stopped twice to quickly stretch the achilles and calf and kept my HR around 145-150. Once or twice it went upwards of 160 which is my high zone so i brought the pace back down a tad. Achilles was grand! A bit tight at the start but didn't feel it.

Feeling much happier and in higher spirits now that this injury has not set my training too much back,

Heading out tonight to celebrate the start of my final year of college. Will enjoy and have a few beers ... or vodka. Have not decided yet. And just moved into an apartment 2secs from college and work today. So far so good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JKF

Good to hear the injury isnt as bad as first thought ULstudent!

I'm now back from South Africa, basking in the lovely Irish weather... Not! :rolleyes:
    Started my masters officially this week too!! Scary stuff

JKF wrote: »
    Started my masters officially this week too!! Scary stuff
    Same here! What ya doing?

Same here! What ya doing?

Mathematical Science in NUIG... Did I spot you over on the UCD boards before? I did my undergrad there and was planning on doing my masters there aswell but himself got a job in Galway so a change of plan was needed :)

JKF wrote: »
    Mathematical Science in NUIG... Did I spot you over on the UCD boards before? I did my undergrad there and was planning on doing my masters there aswell but himself got a job in Galway so a change of plan was needed :)

Haha coincidence, I dropped out of UCD mathematical science in 2005! :pac:

I'm one of those people that's part of the furniture in UCD, this is my seventh year there. Doing my masters in computer science - but focusing on computational science modules, so of my 5 courses this semester 3 of them are basically maths courses...

Also, I am so long posting on the UCD board that I was the one who made a feedback thread to get a mod appointed to it in the first place...

Haha coincidence, I dropped out of UCD mathematical science in 2005! :pac:

I'm one of those people that's part of the furniture in UCD, this is my seventh year there. Doing my masters in computer science - but focusing on computational science modules, so of my 5 courses this semester 3 of them are basically maths courses...

Also, I am so long posting on the UCD board that I was the one who made a feedback thread to get a mod appointed to it in the first place...

Ha! What a coincidence: I started math sc for a second time in 2005! First started in UCD in 2004 but spent most of the year in hospital so had to start from scratch again :)
    Must admit, I'm loving Galway!

I didn't like Galway when I was there, but you can blame a pretty horrific job for that! A friend of mine just started her MA in journalism in NUIG yesterday, must give her a shout and see how she's getting on :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

My wife had her first scan today and guess what it's a girl, we were convinced it was a boy. However theres something nice about having 3 girls, don't know if I'll be saying that when they hit their teens

Advertisement