Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Woddle wrote: »
    My wife had her first scan today and guess what it's a girl, we were convinced it was a boy. However theres something nice about having 3 girls, don't know if I'll be saying that when they hit their teens

God love you when they start bringing boys home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

God love you when they start bringing boys home.

....or when you start having to pay for their weddings! That'll put running expenditure in the shade! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Peckham wrote: »
    ....or when you start having to pay for their weddings! That'll put running expenditure in the shade! :D

Yep I thought that tradition was dead till I was at my mates wedding last Friday and he told me her dad paid for everything :eek: I paid for mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

My wife had her first scan today and guess what it's a girl, we were convinced it was a boy. However theres something nice about having 3 girls, don't know if I'll be saying that when they hit their teens

Ah thats cool. Congrats to you both. Don't know how people manage to have kids and train for marathons.

Ah thats cool. Congrats to you both. Don't know how people manage to have kids and train for marathons.

This might answer your question, I got my treadmill fixed yesterday :D (250 euro :eek:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

This might answer your question, I got my treadmill fixed yesterday :D (250 euro :eek:)

........and 3 of these might come in handy soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

any of ye see Derren Brown's show on Channel 4 last nite?

His latest trick was to predict 5 of the six lottery numbers drawn out of the mid-week lottery draw.

He guessed six, how did he do it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

This is SO not a day to be cooped up in the library revising differential equations. Think I'll head home for a nice pleasant 12-miler this evening. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Congrats to the pair of yiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,166 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Congrats! Girls aren't all bad. :pac:
    Yep I thought that tradition was dead...

I wish! My OH's father is long gone. I guess he ain't paying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Hurrah - well done that man, champers and cigars on Woddle at the DCM afters party :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

tisnotover wrote: »
    any of ye see Derren Brown's show on Channel 4 last nite?

His latest trick was to predict 5 of the six lottery numbers drawn out of the mid-week lottery draw.

He guessed six, how did he do it ;)

It was just an illusion with some clever method, and being on TV makes it less plausible. If he could actually predict the numbers, he would just do it, publicise and donate it.

Note, he didn't announce the numbers before they were read out on screen 'live'. So time delay/lapse or some funky trick or technology with the balls or stand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

what's the story with the names again?

The Adidas half has a poster called gickballs who's agitating and some other poster was worried if gickballs said his race number everyone would know who he is. So what?
    The results threads are full of lads posting their race results and basically saying who they are.

I can see the point of secrecy on other boards sections like politics or whatever but on an athletics forum??

cheers,
    Peter:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭jlang

As you say, once you mention running a real life event you're outing yourself, especially if you're in the habit of winning (:) - you, not me!). In my case, I don't mind people knowing my real name (matching my username to the list of runners at any event wouldn't require much detective work) but I don't really want a Google on my real name to show a load of boards postings. I think the technical term is managing your online presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You tell me this, after I've made billions of posts? :)
    It's not difficult to find anyone online. You should really only post what you wouldn't mind 'anybody' reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

I always post on that assumption.

Jeeze, at the hill runs Boardsies are as likely to address each other by their Boards name as their real name.

WHAT???!!! are you telling me these aren't your real names? I though Krusty the Clown posted here. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Enduro wrote: »
    I always post on that assumption.

Jeeze, at the hill runs Boardsies are as likely to address each other by their Boards name as their real name.

:D
    Very true there was a load of us at the recent BHAA and I was trying to introduce everyone, I would start off with this is beepbeep and his name is, and to be honest I reckon everyone only really paid attention to the usernames.

I also only post things that I would still say in the real world, sure I think everyone knows who I am at this stage and my wife and uncle read my log from time to time.

Also enduro, we probably would have been properly introduced if I had of just asked are you Enduro, instead I tried to introduce myself to you at Ticknock, but when I asked are you Eoin you said no, I'm Ian (only later was I told that you pronounsed Eoin as Ian)so I said oops thought you were someone else :D
    So I'll be sure to say hello next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Recently, eight of us Boardies were given a masterclass in mapreading by Paul Nolan. At the start, I attempted to do a roll call; "This is Krusty, Slogger, Dapope..." etc; it felt like a bunch of schoolkids with secret club monikers. The very grown up Mr. Nolan bit down heavily on his lip, but managed to keep a straight face;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

ahh well it gets a bit ridiculous.
    I was chatting to one of the lads on Saturday after the race and I sez hi I'm peter and he sez do you want my boards name or my real name. Not seeing any computers in my pint I asked nicely for the real name:)

Putting faces to the names is nice though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Also enduro, we probably would have been properly introduced if I had of just asked are you Enduro, instead I tried to introduce myself to you at Ticknock, but when I asked are you Eoin you said no, I'm Ian (only later was I told that you pronounsed Eoin as Ian)so I said oops thought you were someone else :D
    So I'll be sure to say hello next time.

Ooops! :o Next time!!
    Not seeing any computers in my pint I asked nicely for the real name

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

My left shin has been at me ever since sundays lsr. Rage. 1st day out today running for the marathon training today. easy 5 miles this morning at 8min miles. Shin was not too bad over those miles. Ill get out over the weekend and hopefully get a few miles down maybe 12ish. Id be happy with that. Half mar next weekend and i want to be in full form so ill do one or two easy runs during the week to be make i dont flare it up again.

Contemplating the cork to cobh 15 miler on the 4th. I figure with a 2mile warm up and a mile or so cool down it could be a nice 18miler for me. Then taper down after that. The only problem is that then my longest lsr will only have been 18 miles when i wanted to go for 20. im doing 16miles at a rellatively comfartable pace at 8min miles but we all no that the marathon doesnt really start untill after mile 16 so im thinking that i should get 20miles. Confused and pissed off at my shin at the mo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

if you fancy a 2 mile warm-down, you're welcome to brunch in our place after the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

we all no that the marathon doesnt really start untill after mile 16

il b startin at terenure so:D.....

if you fancy a 2 mile warm-down, you're welcome to brunch in our place after the race.

If you are serious i would take you up on that offer!!!!

Anyway. Just had brekkie and realised i have a physio appointment at 12 today but i also made an appointment on Tuesday too - didn't even realise. One is with a physio who really rid me of itb and the other is the college physio who i had good treatment off last year so i dunno what to do. The college one is free for me and she is very good but the paid one is today and also very good. Hmmmm. I will have to decide over a mug of hot chocolate.

I love tiger balm.

I plan *hope* to get out and do 10 miles today. over 6 of those is on the riverbank so surface is grand there.

To think this time 6 months ago i was just as crazy about fitting in training (with the exception of running a lot at the time) but these past few months running has become so much more important to me. I find i get hardly anything out of other sports unlike before. If i miss a non running session now im not too bothered but all i ever want to do now is go out and run run run all the time. What's up with that? The improvements i have seen over the last few months have given me the warm fuzzies inside!!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

What a win for the Drogs last night! 2-1 against Bray, with the winner coming late in injury time. Here's hoping for Shamrock Rovers to do us a favour tonight against Sligo!

Off the field, our fundraising efforts for the Drogs are going full steam ahead - www.CandB.ie. Over 200 subscriptions so far - hopefully the Panorama offer will attract a lot of new members. Any feedback on the site would be appreciated - good, bad or indifferent.

Now, for the half marathon....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Given that I can't afford Skins or anything of the sort for recovery purposes... I've been wondering whether wearing the tightest skinny jeans I have the day after races will do the same thing.

Given that I can't afford Skins or anything of the sort for recovery purposes... I've been wondering whether wearing the tightest skinny jeans I have the day after races will do the same thing.

Iv been trying to coax my housemates to massage my legs and make me my food .... so far no luck :(

• Advertisement

Instead of my LSR this morning I opted for staying in bed watching Ally McBeal for four hours...will head out for a 2 - 2 and a half hour thing we're not supposed to talk about in this thread after my dinner. :D Looks like it's gunna be a cold one tonight so I'm looking forward to it now.

Advertisement