Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Got my suit for my graduation today, looking for shoes now. I want heels, but not sure what I can get away with...

Lovely suit rainbow kirby! There are some gorgeous heels around! Next have some lovely ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I managed to get mine at 12:01. Thanks for the reminder RQ.
    the young lad will be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Boards.ie on your mobile! dats d business. As much givin out as I do about 3mobile. Their mobile service isn't too bad at all considering the broadband isn't!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

All sold out in minutes. :( Been entering competitions to try and in some to no avail. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I think there's light at the end off the tunnel for me - 2 x tickets at face value - score! My Granda's birthday on Sat too - it'll make a great present for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Woohoo - got 2 x 70 tickets for the price of one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Going to see either 2012 or the men who stare at goats tonight in the cinema. Should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Is it just me or is eamonn dunphy an absolute prick to graeme souness, show some respect, obviously being a Liverpool fan, I'm not one of souness's greatest admirers from a managerial standpoint anyway but he does have a point. They are a limited group of players, you can't compare this team to previous Irish teams in terms of quality. Yes there are some very good players, Richard dunne, Shay given, eh that's about it, duff and keane are alright aswell, they do a job. So, trappatoni has to make the best of what he has.

I can see the lads point of view aswell, it's mind boggling why Andy Reid can't even make the squad, and Stephen Reid should feature aswell. Anyway, my main point is they should show more respect to souness, his viewpoint is a valid and balanced one and the two boys, particularly eamonn, just seem to disagree with him for the sake of it.

Then Eamonn calls him a playboy. FFs, a lesser man would have walked off the set, for being constantly insulted. Maybe I'm misreading the whole thing and they all actually enjoy it, but I could sense tension in the studio tonight. Not sure graeme should have said the thing about the lads being blinded by their passion for the game.

What I'm really trying to say is Dunphy is an absolute muppet, I would rate Jamie redknapp higher as a football pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

2012 is horrifically bad ... in a funny way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

OI wrote: »
    ... I would rate Jamie redknapp higher as a football pundit.

now that's saying something!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

as a liverpool fan you are going to hate eamon dunphy in anyway, he really does slag them alot. but he is doing a brilliant job as a football pundit, the fact that you wrote about him at all means his job is done, he is entertaining and an ex professional, and 23caps for rep. Ireland, he does know a thing about the game. he gives his opinion.

duff and keane are alright aswell, they do a job.

i dont want to comment on that, but i could go on a rant.
    you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,166 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

ULstudent wrote: »
    2012 is horrifically bad ... in a funny way.

Like Ireland?
    you are wrong.

There's no such thing as a wrong opinion. Except Eamonn Dunphy's, of course. Dunphy's clueless about Soccer. He calls it the beautiful game. :rolleyes:

as a liverpool fan you are going to hate eamon dunphy in anyway, he really does slag them alot. but he is doing a brilliant job as a football pundit, the fact that you wrote about him at all means his job is done, he is entertaining and an ex professional, and 23caps for rep. Ireland, he does know a thing about the game. he gives his opinion.

you are wrong.

I wouldn't normally write about him, but I just thought his and johnnys dismissal of sounesses view point is not considered and too abrasive. Trap has very little to work with, and that was his first defeat. I agree that if we went out and tried to play against the likes of France, their superior quality would shine through. They are correct that we give the ball away too often and the reids, if they were brought in might change that, but at what cost. I don't like traps style but we wouldn't be in a play off position otherwise.

In terms of duff and keane, duff is a great player, when he is available - big if. Keane is irelands top scorer and a great servant but he has been ineffective on too many occassions for me, particularly compared to Doyle who has more to his game. It's my opinion that's all.

Dunphy knows the game but he is controversial for the sake of it and is always OTT. His criticism of the performance against Italy is an example. Johnny, for me is the authority on the game, eamonn adds no value IMO

PS everyone knows Liverpool are rubbish, dems the breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

PS everyone knows Liverpool are rubbish, dems the breaks
    QFT :pac::p

Pherekydes wrote: »
    There's no such thing as a wrong opinion. Except Eamonn Dunphy's, of course. Dunphy's clueless about Soccer. He calls it the beautiful game. :rolleyes:

well in my opinion, i think OI was wrong and then he actually admited it by saying "duff is a great player.... Keane is irelands top scorer and a great servant" in his next post... so i was right! he must have just said the stuff above last night without thinking, thats all. because any irish soccer fan knows duff and keane are better than "alright".

"dunphy is clueless about soccer", another opinion i think is wrong. but thats just my opinion.

and OI, it wasnt the first time dunphy and giles didnt agree with sousness. remember "i managed to stay alive for the last 63and half years baby" haha. the debates they have are good watching though, and last nights was great too, unlike the sky lads.

Woah kk, don't misquote me (sorry, quote me out of context), keane has been a great servant, but so have you, doesn't mean you're any good in terms of quality, but you do a great job for Ireland, (I presume you are not the real kilbane), so does keane, I don't like to use the words headless chicken but that's how I feel about keane sometimes. And I can never think of duff as a fully match fit dependable but again he comes in a does a great job, but if duff was regularly fit, he could be one of the all time greats, tis a bit late for him now.

And I've enjoyed dunphy in the past but he has completely worn thin on me. The main point is we are limited and trap has brought us to a play off, which I wouldn't write us out of yet.

Just to add, i shed a wee tear every time I remember duff v Spain 2002 world cup

Woah kk, don't misquote me (sorry, quote me out of context), keane has been a great servant, but so have you, doesn't mean you're any good in terms of quality, but you do a great job for Ireland, (I presume you are not the real kilbane), so does keane, I don't like to use the words headless chicken but that's how I feel about keane sometimes. And I can never think of duff as a fully match fit dependable but again he comes in a does a great job, but if duff was regularly fit, he could be one of the all time greats, tis a bit late for him now.

And I've enjoyed dunphy in the past but he has completely worn thin on me. The main point is we are limited and trap has brought us to a play off, which I wouldn't write us out of yet.

Just to add, i shed a wee tear every time I remember duff v Spain 2002 world cup

sorry if i misquoated you, didnt think i did.

well usually soccer fans have a poor memory, (but then you say duff in 2002). but keane is the top goalscorer, and you say hes a headless chicken, so what are Quinn, Aldridge, Cas, stapleton? i think keane is an excellent player and captain.
    and duff, well he is still great but he has alot of injuries problems, so if i had injuries like he has, id say my running preformance would suffer, and my times would not be near as good as they were.
    i agree that trap has done well. nothing wrong with being runner up to the world champions in the group.

no im not kilbane, im not that good at football.
    "kilbane is a model professional, a sportman's sportsman." Eamon Dunphy

Let's be honest, Duff had a fantastic world cup in 02 - had a good season following that with Blackburn and has gone rapidly downhill since then and really hasn't lived up to the hype. I still maintain signing for Chelsea was the worst thing he could ever have done and I even said it before he signed for them.

Keane is massively over rated. The argument that he's Ireland's top scorer is a crap one.

The 'Irish' team is incredibly weak and need a massive miracle to get through.

Let's be honest, Duff had a fantastic world cup in 02 - had a good season following that with Blackburn and has gone rapidly downhill since then and really hasn't lived up to the hype. I still maintain signing for Chelsea was the worst thing he could ever have done and I even said it before he signed for them.

Keane is massively over rated. The argument that he's Ireland's top scorer is a crap one.

i think i should stop (wrong forum). and just not reply.but couldnt resist.

i had to ask, was that a typo? should you have said newcastle instead of chelsea? because duff won the league twice,and a league cup with them and he was an important member of the team, he has 48 apps in 2004/2005 and won two trophies... he played many times in the champions league against the best teams in the world. all in all i think it was a good move for him. great career choice. and the bank balance wouldnt be too bad either!

crap arguement??? no its not! what else do you want robbie keane to do????
    and who is not overratted? what players do you think are actually good at football? not just an irish player. would messi be good enough? would shay given be good enough? would kaka be good enough?
    40 goals at international level, against some world class teams. even when he has a poor game by his standard, he is always so proud to wear that jersey and that armband and gives it all, always has an excellent attutide!

'irish'?????? you could say that about alot of sports. but thats for another day. sure watching the rugby now, theres a few players that are from the united kingdom!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

yeah but rugby is all ireland not just rep of ireland.....(and that's all I know about soccer).

Woohoo - edge of seat stuff there for last bit of match, but what a try!! What a draw! C'mon Ireland!!!

• Advertisement

spaceylou wrote: »
    yeah but rugby is all ireland not just rep of ireland.....(and that's all I know about soccer).

Woohoo - edge of seat stuff there for last bit of match, but what a try!! What a draw! C'mon Ireland!!!

great end to the rugby match.

well yeah youre right, but there are some from UK that wont even sing the national anthem. and they wanted a new one, Irelands Call. and in away matches, ireland wont sing the national anthem!

but last night, ireland's left full back was singing away, and he is from preston.

i think i should stop (wrong forum). and just not reply.but couldnt resist.

i had to ask, was that a typo? should you have said newcastle instead of chelsea? because duff won the league twice,and a league cup with them and he was an important member of the team, he has 48 apps in 2004/2005 and won two trophies... he played many times in the champions league against the best teams in the world. all in all i think it was a good move for him. great career choice. and the bank balance wouldnt be too bad either!

No, I meant Chelsea.
    crap arguement??? no its not! what else do you want robbie keane to do????
    and who is not overratted? what players do you think are actually good at football? not just an irish player. would messi be good enough? would shay given be good enough? would kaka be good enough?
    40 goals at international level, against some world class teams. even when he has a poor game by his standard, he is always so proud to wear that jersey and that armband and gives it all, always has an excellent attutide!

Of course Messi would be good enough, Robbie isn't even on the same scale as Messi, and yes Kaka would be good enough and yes, Given is good enough. Keane is incredibly inconsistent, excellent attitude? you having a laugh? he's a moaner when he doesn't get what he wants. Who are all these World Class teams that he's scored against? the majority of his goals have come against really poor opposition. Goals in the World Cup '02 -v- Germany and Spain, goal against Russia in the Euro '04 Quals a goal against the Netherlands then one against Italy are about the only goals he's scored against top opposition. The rest are the likes of San Marino, Georgia, USA, Canada, Israel, Faroe Islands etc etc etc Lets not get too excited about all this illustrious opposition now. :rolleyes:
    'irish'?????? you could say that about alot of sports. but thats for another day. sure watching the rugby now, theres a few players that are from the united kingdom!

The Irish rugby team is an all Ireland rugby team. We're talking about football here though...

thanks to wikipedia.

i found out the Republic of Ireland football team, out of the 26 players that were selected for the french playoff games, 19 of them are from the Republic, 2 from nottinghamshire, 1 from derry, glasgow, london, birmingham and preston...

and you say they are weak. they are playing against France. ireland came runner up to Italy in the group.
    who played in the final of the world cup in 2006?

what makes you think we can beat them? we are not in the same level as them,in every aspect. their national leagues, their youth structure(our young talents are brought to england) and so on, also they have a much larger population than us. i think we are doing very well to compete with them. we lost one nil to a team that had 12 of their players playing in the champions league two weeks ago and we only had john o shea.

but last night, ireland's left full back was singing away, and he is from preston.

He's bloody well want to with his 100 or so caps. :rolleyes:

No, I meant Chelsea. quote]

chelsea? i think you are the one having a laugh. i wont say what i think, because i will get a warning. but your knowledge of soccer is not top notch.

now as for robbie keane! i never said he was as good as messi, how many players are on the same scale as messi in anyway?

goals against germany, italy, czech rep, holland, yugoslavia, russia ,crotia, sweden, denmark, israel. all of which are ahead of us in the fifa rankings, and most are going to RSA next summer... and he did score some goals on the world stage, against world class opposition, germany,spain in the world cup... how many goals did ireland score at the '90 and '94 world cups? think robbie would have been handy there.
    he is a proven goal scorer.

and if you think he is so bad, what other players do you like, or think is half decent? your expections are too high! ireland are 34th at the moment. how do you think irish athletics are doing right now? would you say a bad word about Mary Cullen or Fagan? just curious!

also, i know its an all ireland team, but i was just saying. sure france have some players that are not from france!

how many caps did david humphreys have? he never learned it.
    kilbane did so long before 101caps!

Ok, I'm willing to back track on Keane, his goal scoring record in a green shirt really speaks for itself. The constant disputing referees decisions and gesticulating is a bit annoying but that aside where would we be without his goals.

I didn't want to get into that anyway, just the lads treatment of Souness, particularly when it's a realistic view from unbiased independant observer, and one that I agree with. If we used Andy reid and tried to "play" France, we'd be played off the park. Andrews, Lawerence, mcgeady and duff are more likely to 'get up them'.

I don't like disrespecting the Irish players, they always play with great heart and committment, including Kilbane, who has been a marvellous servant. In fact, I would go as far to say his performances in an Irish jersey belies his actual talent. Finally, duff should have gone to Liverpool, and chose Newcastle, bizarre.

Anyway, before this gets silly, that's it from me.

OI, passionate Irish supporter.

chelsea? i think you are the one having a laugh. i wont say what i think, because i will get a warning. but your knowledge of soccer is not top notch.

My opinion is that Chelsea was a bad move for Duff, and I've maintained that since before he signed for them. Well done for the dig at my FOOTBALL knowlegde though, that is really grown up of you. :rolleyes: But, while we're being petty, pretty much everyone I know is astounded at my knowlegde of the game and my knowledge on football history. Given I'm a regular at Leeds games and LOI games and have coaching badges though it's not really that surprising.

now as for robbie keane! i never said he was as good as messi, how many players are on the same scale as messi in anyway?

goals against germany, italy, czech rep, holland, yugoslavia, russia ,crotia, sweden, denmark, israel. all of which are ahead of us in the fifa rankings, and most are going to RSA next summer... and he did score some goals on the world stage, against world class opposition, germany,spain in the world cup... how many goals did ireland score at the '90 and '94 world cups? think robbie would have been handy there.
    he is a proven goal scorer.

You brought Messi into the arguement, I merely replied to your question about Messi.
    I don't understand where all this going back to '90 and '94 is coming from? I'm not talking about them I'm talking about our current team. Other teams are not the issue, the current one is.
    and if you think he is so bad, what other players do you like, or think is half decent? your expections are too high! ireland are 34th at the moment. how do you think irish athletics are doing right now? would you say a bad word about Mary Cullen or Fagan? just curious!

Again, that wasn't what we were talking about. I was talking about Robbie Keane being over rated I never said we had better options.

how many caps did david humphreys have? he never learned it.
    kilbane did so long before 101caps!

70 or so if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,166 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My opinion is that Chelsea was a bad move for Duff, and I've maintained that since before he signed for them. Well done for the dig at my FOOTBALL knowlegde though, that is really grown up of you. :rolleyes: But, while we're being petty, pretty much everyone I know is astounded at my knowlegde of the game and my knowledge on football history. Given I'm a regular at Leeds games and LOI games and have coaching badges though it's not really that surprising.

I don't know any of you from Adam (or Eve), but I must say your (RQ's) soccer knowledge is right up there. I also thought it was a poor argument to simply dismiss someone's opinion or knowledge, especially when it appears to carry so much weight.

I know Keane tries his hardest, but he's still headless. He should have a higher strike rate.

I do think Keane is a good player, but an over rated one and it's only really Irish people who rate him so highly. He's come on a lot since he rooted down a place at Spurs, before that he was a bit part player at clubs and really struggled at times. He scores some great goals but he also misses some real sitters.

He was a bit of a prat at Leeds too so I may be slightly biased. :D

• Advertisement

Again, that wasn't what we were talking about. I was talking about Robbie Keane being over rated I never said we had better options.

you still havent said why it was a bad move for him to go to chelsea. im very curious to know, ive never heard anyone involved in the game say that. he won trophies, played in a top european club, played in CL etc. thats why i mentioned your knowledge!
    and also, why would people be astounded by your knowledge if you are a coach?

and im shocked that you being coach and you think keane is overrated.
    maybe it is bias. and its not true that only irish people like him. harry redknapp wouldnt say that he is overrated. captain of club and country, keanes cv aint too bad! he is hardly headless!
    i really hope he does prove the critics wrong on wednesday, if only...

Advertisement