Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Heated debate = good

Personal abuse = bad

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

off topic but 2012 is good in a ridicuolus kind of way
    if you took out the plot , acting and script then its not bad at all

and it has the worst closing line i have ever heard in a film

and i can see the irony in saying off topic in the off topic thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

I don't know much about football and can't play to save my life, but I will contribute to the Robbie Keane dabate. It seems to my untrained eye that he throws a lot of shapes and tries to be too fancy when a simple little tap would do. Also compare his attitude to that some top sportsmen:

interviewer to Tiger Woods after he was beaten :"did the wind affect your score". Woods replied "I should have found a way to play in the wind"
    Sean Kelly after being beaten in a sprint - I was overconfident, I thought I couldn't be beaten today"
    Robbie Keane " The media made us lose / made me miss loads of sitters".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

SUNGOD wrote: »
    off topic but 2012 is good in a ridicuolus kind of way if you took out the plot , acting and script and its not bad at all

Sounds terrible. I'll wait for DVD I think.

A bit harsh on Robbie Keane here imo. Who would you replace him with?

A bit harsh on Robbie Keane here imo. Who would you replace him with?
    That's the problem, he's the worst striker we have - apart from all the others.
    I'm not arguing with his goal tally, I just think he could have easily scored 20 or 30 more if he had a better attitide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Keano, Keano...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Cmon the boys in white (doesn't quite have the same ring to it :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Another 30mins - this is killing me!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great performance so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Jeez this is murder, no nails left! Watching with my 9 yr old - special dispensation to stay up late. It's like sitting with John Motson, he knows facts and statistics about everybody - just told me about St Ledger scoring goal in playoff final. Think I have a statto in the house... C'MON IRELAND!!!

• Advertisement

SH1T

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is this a GAA game? :confused:

:confused:Aw crap, hand of God/Henry, how did the ref miss that???:confused:

Its all or nothing now. Natural justice can be done - just 1 goal.
    C'MON IRELAND

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

To be fair, the ref has had a surprisingly good game. Henry hid that really well and obviously figured it was worth the risk and it's paid off for him.

Beginning to think that France might have a half decent GAA team, Anelka was just short of kicking that from his hand... Also, is anyone else sick of seeing Barthez and Zidane?

My son is heartbroken here, trying to be big man and not cry, but he's in bits. Frickin' Henry...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

racheljev wrote: »
    My son is heartbroken here, trying to be big man and not cry, but he's in bits. Frickin' Henry...

Give him a big hug.

My dad cried at full time...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

:mad:

That is all.

Every single one of those players tonight gave it 100% and I'm really proud of that. Very hard to take but I'm very happy with how we played. The team and the country deserved a bit of luck tonight and we got the total opposite.

This is worse than running a race too fast or having an injury going into a race and having regrets. This is down to hard luck and christ its hard to take. Those players gave it everything and played a really sensible well organised match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Soccer forum's going crazy with cries of cheat. Sky Sports saying the handball robbed us of a place in the World Cup (making quite an assumption that we'd have scored or won on penalties). But I reckon we shouldn't forget the fact that we lost 1-0 at home. Had we done the business at home, a golden rule of these ties, the handball wouldn't be that relevant. Musn't be sore loser - must look at the bigger picture...

Soccer forum's going crazy with cries of cheat. Sky Sports saying the handball robbed us of a place in the World Cup (making quite an assumption that we'd have scored or won on penalties). But I reckon we shouldn't forget the fact that we lost 1-0 at home. Had we done the business at home, a golden rule of these ties, the handball wouldn't be that relevant. Musn't be sore loser - must look at the bigger picture...

Post that in the soccer forum then. Nobody here is being a sore loser. I am looking at the bigger picture: Taking into consideration that we only had one champions league player in our starting 11 over the two games. Our best players play for teams like stoke and Wolves. We lost the first tie over a deflected goal and made the French shoot from distance for a lot of the game. We had the best chances tonight and where the better team. We lost a goal due to a deliberate handball and the ball in was also offside.

Must look at the bigger picture. Its ok to be annoyed/disappointed.

"Musn't be a sore loser" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Wasn't having a go at you or anyone on here - just musing aloud. Everyone seems to be focusing on the hand ball, but IMHO the damage was done on Saturday night. The hand-ball gives an excuse to forget about the fact that we didn't get anything at home. To paraphrase Sky Sports who said that 'the Irish were trying to do something no other European country has done - qualify for a major tournament after losing the first leg at home'. Well unfortunately and sickeningly we didn't do it. A 2-0 win at home was needed I think.

I was going to post a proper reply but Krusty is right, this will do:

:mad:

and this from me:

:rolleyes:

Good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Hi guys, just awake and a little hungover. Well?? What a performance, I am so proud of the Irish team, they did the whole country proud. I nearly cried aswell so don't feel bad any of the criers out there. What about Duff? Outstanding but they were all absolutely brilliant. Played their hearts out for this country. The contorted face on Doyle was a joy to behold. And it was a brilliant goal.

Oh Henry, what have you done mate? Sitting down beside dunne at the end, you knew. Instinctive?? He's been playing for years, he knows the game inside out, you are not allowed to handle the ball, he took a chance and got away with it, but it's the way he celebrated the goal that annoyed me, he is a cheat. I am / was such a huge admirer of the man, a fantastic footballer with a great respect for his fellow professional, now he'll have to watch those replays for the rest of his life. I've never seen a team so relieved to hear the final whistle. Excuse me while I go and puke (may be the Russian sambuka equivelent I was drinking last night)

OI wrote: »
    Oh Henry, what have you done mate? ... he is a cheat.
    + 1 million

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Far too windy out there to be bothered with going for a run today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

robinph wrote: »
    Far too windy out there to be bothered with going for a run today.

Was it Coe or Thompson or someone else but they use to get out and train on xmas day as they felt they were getting one up on their rival.
    I guess I'll have to get out now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Woddle wrote: »
    Was it Coe or Thompson or someone else but they use to get out and train on xmas day as they felt they were getting one up on their rival.
    I guess I'll have to get out now :D

Think i'll be racing that morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Off you go then. :D

If you go and have a go at this somewhere, then I'll come along with the camera. Otherwise I'm not leaving the house today.

Advertisement