Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

robinph wrote: »
    Far too windy out there to be bothered with going for a run today.

Could be some wind on the 29th too nice day for a run today...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Wasn't having a go at you or anyone on here - just musing aloud. Everyone seems to be focusing on the hand ball, but IMHO the damage was done on Saturday night. The hand-ball gives an excuse to forget about the fact that we didn't get anything at home. To paraphrase Sky Sports who said that 'the Irish were trying to do something no other European country has done - qualify for a major tournament after losing the first leg at home'. Well unfortunately and sickeningly we didn't do it. A 2-0 win at home was needed I think.

I agree with your two posts. So many chances missed, we could have buried France last night and failed to do so, it shouldn't have come down to the handball in the end it was just unfortunate that it did, had we gone 2-1 up they'd have been finished they couldn't even score one goal themselves over the two legs how would they have coped if they were under pressure to score two? The lads performed really, really well but too many chances were missed. If that had happened up the other end the media wouldn't even be moaning about the cheating Irish they'd be talking about the luck of the Irish, it's only because it's France that there is such a hullabullo about it. FIFA have what they want now, they never wanted us at the World Cup.

Ireland 0 - Platini 1
    Far too windy out there to be bothered with going for a run today.

I was meant to do 10 miles today. I think I'd blow away out there. :eek:

Edit: I've always had a real soft spot for Arsenal so would have been a fan of Henry, can't believe he did that he's always been a fairly honest player. You could see how much it affected him at the end too when he was sat in the centre circle with Richard Dunne he looked like HE had just missed out on the trip to SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

You could see how much it affected him at the end too when he was sat in the centre circle with Richard Dunne he looked like HE had just missed out on the trip to SA.

He should apologise then, instead of saying it was the refs fault for missing it!

As for him having always been an honest player....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTGfyV_mgUk&feature=related

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh8mk7MfBd8

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I believe I said 'fairly' honest player. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

Woddle wrote: »
    Was it Coe or Thompson or someone else but they use to get out and train on xmas day as they felt they were getting one up on their rival.
    I guess I'll have to get out now :D
    I read that Coe and Ovett met some years after they'd retired, and Ovett admitted to having gone out for a second run on xmas day, 'cos he was sure Coe would be doing the same. Coe's response: "so you only went out twice"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

Heated debate = good

Personal abuse = bad

:)

you are right amadeus. i am sorry about that racoon queen. should have not went there.
    i think, i just dont like to hear the irish team being slagged, cause theyre the best of the best we have.

what a shame about last night. it was such an amazing game.the whole team were brilliant. im just so disappointed that we didnt get through to the world cup.
    i do agree with racing flat, and misty floyd. all in all, the way today went in the media, i nearly feel sorry for henry, he is getting alot of stick, he knows hes done wrong, nothing he or anyone can do.

but that goal is not the only reason we're not going to the world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Rio 2016

aero2k wrote: »
    I read that Coe and Ovett met some years after they'd retired, and Ovett admitted to having gone out for a second run on xmas day, 'cos he was sure Coe would be doing the same. Coe's response: "so you only went out twice"!

If I am wrong I stand corrected but I believe that it was the other way around. Coe was the one that went out twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Rio 2016 wrote: »
    If I am wrong I stand corrected but I believe that it was the other way around. Coe was the one that went out twice.

Yes I believe you are correct but I'd imagine Coe went out twice while Ovett said he went out three times when in reality he may have just put the feet up and not gone out at all and just made it up to wind Coe up. Its a great story and I can picture him retorting the comment with his sarcastic head on him!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

So that's 3 Fridays in a row where my 9am class has been cancelled (with no warning). I could have had 3 extra hours in bed and possibly a run to college.

*swears*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

So that's 3 Fridays in a row where my 9am class has been cancelled (with no warning). I could have had 3 extra hours in bed and possibly a run to college.

*swears*

Sickner on you.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

*swears*

You go in on Fridays? :eek:

You go to 9am classes? :eek: :eek:

Times have changed since I were a lad, students ain't what they used to be, etc...

Times have changed since I were a lad, students ain't what they used to be, etc...

Rumour is that she want s to do well in college.

Who goes to college to do well?:P:D

I have a 1pm class that i already decided is not been attended. Hardcore.

I'm not an undergrad any more, I don't get to be lazy! :(

ULstudent wrote: »
    Rumour is that she want s to do well in college.

Who goes to college to do well?:P:D

I have a 1pm class that i already decided is not been attended. Hardcore.

Pfft, I once slept in for a 3pm lecture...

Pfft, I once slept in for a 3pm lecture...

Didn't you do an arts degree? :pac:

Now that was a low blow :(

English, Sociology and Politics; since you ask with a sub degree in Canteen Studies and Female Rejection :D

Boo - urns to you!

May many more 9am lectures be cancelled without notice for you next semester:D

Now that was a low blow :(
    Oh I went there :p

I've never been able to take any arts student workload-related complaints seriously ever since a good friend of mine was able to work 25 hours a week, write for the college paper and train 4 times a week in TKD, all while in final year of English and history, and she got a better degree mark than I did. :pac:
    ULstudent wrote: »
    Boo - urns to you!

May many more 9am lectures be cancelled without notice for you next semester:D

At the moment, it's looking like my earliest mornings in semester 2 are 11am starts :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

@Woddle: It's a nice sunny day today so I will be going out for a run later. You'd best get in at least three training sessions today just to be sure. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Just watched marathon man with Dustin Hoffman, what a very misleading name for a film :D

Running Man has the governator running around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Why over the last few weeks do I grt logged out of Boards, in paticular around lunch time, really starting to plss me off

Not been happening to me on any of the multiple instances where I'm logged into boards at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Running Man has the governator running around.
    Ever read the short story? I thought it was extremely good. While most of Stephen King's books can be snore-fests, he really has some cracking good reads (IT, The Stand, Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Ever read the short story? I thought it was extremely good. While most of Stephen King's books can be snore-fests, he really has some cracking good reads (IT, The Stand, Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, etc.)

the running man novella is a cracking read completely different to the film much more beleivable and real..giving a great insight into reality TV gone mad .
    and written before reality TV was so widespread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Brilliant stuff from the main man himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMHwCbbG6WY&feature=popular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

tunguska wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff from the main man himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMHwCbbG6WY&feature=popular

A women i work with lets her phone rung out all the time.. I know what to do next time now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

What I'd love to see is a camera shot from behind Keane - how many of the reporters were hiding from those scary eyes? How many of them were incredibly interested in their shoes! I reckon the guy with the phone might have had to change his underpants after that little confrontation:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

He's right. As was racing flat a few posts ago. AAAhhhhhh I hate it when the truth hurts.

The night of the match I was annoyed and freaking out but after a nights sleep, you have to just accept it and move on. This talk of replays is crazy and it is a spin put on by the FAI.

Love his reaction with the mobile phone.

He's some grump though. I wish I could speak my mind like that in work.

Advertisement