Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Happy Friday :D:D:D:D
    Can't wait to not get out of the bed tomorrow morning :p
    Anyone have anything exciting planned for the weekend or is everyone snowed/frozen into their homes?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My exciting cardio for today is shovelling snow from my driveway. Getting very sick of this. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

My exciting cardio for today is shovelling snow from my driveway. Getting very sick of this. :(
    +1 and the local shops have run out of salt:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

gerard65 wrote: »
    +1 and the local shops have run out of salt:(

...and that salt has probably all been pointlessly thrown on the floor. It won't have any effect on the footpaths unless there is a high turnover of people walking over it, otherwise its just a bit of salt sitting on top of some snow/ ice which will still be just as slippery then next time someone walks across it.

robinph wrote: »
    ...and that salt has probably all been pointlessly thrown on the floor. It won't have any effect on the footpaths unless there is a high turnover of people walking over it, otherwise its just a bit of salt sitting on top of some snow/ ice which will still be just as slippery then next time someone walks across it.
    Step 1 - clear snow off path.
    Step 2 - sprinkle salt on path.
    Step 3 - Salt desolves into remaining wet.
    Step 4 - Remaining wet becomes salt water.
    Step 5 - Salty water freezes at much lower temps leaving path clear of ice.
    Lession for today is over, you can now go for lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Why bother clearing the drive way anyway. It'll probably take the guts of 45 mins and you run the risk of falling while doing it. Takes me 3 seconds to slide to and from my car. Maybe I'm just lazy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Step 3 - Salt desolves into remaining wet.
    That stage is where the problem is though. Unless there is traffic over it mixing it up to make it dissolve into the snow/ ice then it will never happen. Quite apart from the lack of road grit at the moment anyway, that is why they will never bother gritting local roads, only major routes where there is lots of traffic driving over it all the time.

We could all come and do our laps around your driveway though I guess. :D

Cheese and pickle sambo and scotch brooth soup mmmmmmmmmm:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

the resourceful people of cork have been using all the sandbags they bought during the floods as grit for the paths now.

I gave a quick lecture on boiling point elevation/freezing point depression yesterday and got through to people for the first time ever because they could kind of understand it in the context of the cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

the resourceful people of cork have been using all the sandbags they bought during the floods as grit for the paths now.

I gave a quick lecture on boiling point elevation/freezing point depression yesterday and got through to people for the first time ever because they could kind of understand it in the context of the cold weather.

Apparently on the Last Word yesterday people were giving out about the cold and how we are wrong about global WARMING

• Advertisement

Cheese and pickle sambo and scotch brooth soup mmmmmmmmmm:D

nom nom nom :) Just had carrot and coriander soup with brown soda bread myself, a nice winter warmer but I also completely forgot that there was a curry in the fridge!

Got my driveway cleared anyway, salt and some sand down on it now too. Took much longer than I expected though, had to break quite a lot of ice!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Got my driveway cleared anyway, salt and some sand down on it now too. Took much longer than I expected though, had to break quite a lot of ice!

Nothing like a bit of cross training when you can't go for a run!:D

geld wrote: »
    Nothing like a bit of cross training when you can't go for a run!:D
    I actually did end up going for a run, so I'm feeling pretty satisfied with myself right about now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Decided I'm definately going for a run outside tomorrow. I know it's icy and dangerous but the treadmill is getting irratibly boring.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My hopes are high for a run outside tomorrow too. If not it's back to the gym for me. I've only done a little over 27 miles since new years day, less than half of my planned mileage. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Decided I'm definately going for a run outside tomorrow. I know it's icy and dangerous but the treadmill is getting irratibly boring.

Being out injured for 2 months would be rather boring aswell. I wouldnt risk it personally.

Looks like there is a frozen pipe somewhere as there is very little water coming out of the kitchen tap now. Might have to go out in the back garden to collect some water supplies. :D

Looks like there is a frozen pipe somewhere as there is very little water coming out of the kitchen tap now. Might have to go out in the back garden to collect some water supplies. :D
    Just stay away from the yellow stuff:eek:
    I think the councils are turning down the water pressure to preserve supplies. We're now running out of water:(

Those threads on the weather forum move far too fast and are too confusing to keep up with, but anyone got an idea when this weather should properly dissapear? Contemplating booking some flights to go somewhere snowy* for a few days, but no point in doing that if the planes cannot take off.

*Yes, I know.

Those threads on the weather forum move far too fast and are too confusing to keep up with, but anyone got an idea when this weather should properly dissapear? Contemplating booking some flights to go somewhere snowy* for a few days, but no point in doing that if the planes cannot take off.

*Yes, I know.
    Turn on rte now. Weather forecast coming up.

• Advertisement

A small improvement after Monday but remaining cold for next week.

Damn it, just caught the end of that but looked like he was saying we are still due snow for the rest of next week.

Just found some snowy cross country going on on BBC1.

If you're in South Dublin, get out and run today, it's lovely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If you're in South Dublin, get out and run today, it's lovely :)
    +1, Tymom park was spectacular today

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

04072511 wrote: »
    Being out injured for 2 months would be rather boring aswell. I wouldnt risk it personally.
    Decided better of it today and went an hour on the dreadmill. Like you say, not worth the chance.

Man U losing again.

*facepalm*

Man U losing again.

*facepalm*
    *sniggers loudly*:D

1-1 in the end, even the "Until United Score" injury time didn't really help.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm really starting to like Cameron Jerome, seems to have reet cleaned all that scum he picked up in Cardiff off himself. Goal against Liverpool AND goal against 'them'.

Cameron Jerome, we salute you. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

So I've been all smug this week, managing to get 4 runs in, even one outside. Now I'm finally cheesed off- our water is gone! How do I not be smelly after tomorrow's run if I cant wash!! :mad: Had planned 10k!

Advertisement