Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Bally8 wrote: »
    So I've been all smug this week, managing to get 4 runs in, even one outside. Now I'm finally cheesed off- our water is gone! How do I not be smelly after tomorrow's run if I cant wash!! :mad: Had planned 10k!

Baby wipes. About all you can do, bad luck if it's not back on time for work on monday though. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Rio 2016

Bally8 wrote: »
    So I've been all smug this week, managing to get 4 runs in, even one outside. Now I'm finally cheesed off- our water is gone! How do I not be smelly after tomorrow's run if I cant wash!! :mad: Had planned 10k!

Doubt that you'll sweat in this weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Oh believe me Rio, I always sweat! Decided to give it a miss today, was too busy getting water to the house and trying to plan whats happening now the schools are off. Im a teacher (ish) in a VEC ran facility and am still waiting for word if I have to go in tomorrow or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

My housemate was going to the shop there and asked me if i wanted anything. Told her to get me a Latte. She replied asking if i wanted any milk in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

haha - brilliant!!! That made me smile :)

The fact the snow seems to be thawing is also making me smile :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

While running on a treadmill yesterday I had the misfortune of staring at sky news for over 90 minutes. It is very repetitive, however I did learn that lord Adonis is the British minister for transport. That tickled my fancy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Have heard a few reports that snow is gone in Dublin. Not here in Tipp. We have had ice and snow here since 20th Dec and today are the worst road conditions yet. Beautiful though:)

Some pics from 10:30 this morning:
    16966_276911392585_519612585_4666441_3737389_n.jpg
    Its starting to melt off the trees so I hope that means its getting warmer and there is a thaw. Still no water since Friday.

16966_276911402585_519612585_4666443_7408613_n.jpg

Lough Derg yesterday. Its the first time since 1963 that its frozen like this:
    16966_276033012585_519612585_4659515_4010778_n.jpg

16966_276033042585_519612585_4659517_4906702_n.jpg

16966_276048362585_519612585_4659628_4367214_n.jpg

It's thawing here now but the roads and paths are very slippy so I still had to make do with the gym. Most likely tomorrow will be the same.

Oh and I got a Spurs ticket. I'm off to White Hart Lane. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

Well, Dublin City Council didn't cut off our water, they just reduced the pressure. So, we have water - in the kitchen. Three showers were had before we realised the tank in the attic wasn't refilling.
    I can now recommend a new workout involving carrying 30 buckets of water up to the attic, which gets you nice and sweaty, so you need a shower, then you need to carry more buckets of water........

Water was off in my gym so I had to get on the bus all smelly and icky. I had a good shower when I got home though in case it's off in the morning, usually I just have a quicky after the gym/running and have a nice long un in the mornings before work and wash my hair etc..

Looks like it'll still have to be the gym for me tomorrow, the paths and roads here are in a bad way. Fingers crossed things are better by the weekend. I'm getting in a LOT of different cardio work though so least my lungs, heart and legs are getting INCREDIBLE workouts, shame about the lack of running though.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Looks like it'll still have to be the gym for me tomorrow, the paths and roads here are in a bad way.
    Pity you're not over my way - myself and the young lad cleared about 100m of path today - you could run up and down...might have to do that myself tomorrow, or run on the road in the park, the slush was horrible today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Could only get out last night as the water was off all afternoon. The paths were the worst since the start of the cold spell. Slush was freezing - very slippy in places. Looks like we've seen the end of it now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

ran today at lunchtime and all snow has gone.....but to be replaced by such strong blankets of wind and rain! running in these conditions folks will have to stand to us - great endurance or mental training I think!

Imagine how much we will enjoy running on a mild, pretty summers evening after all of this??!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Managed to get out last night for my first outdoor run in what feels like ages. The paths were fairly slippy, but a mixture of running on the road/grass and path meant there was a decent chance of some grip underfoot.

Hoping to get out again this evening, and start racking up the miles again.

Hit the gym again tonight as I'm just to nervous to risk it. Looks like the last bits of ice and slush will be going by tomorrow if this rain keeps up. Theres a bit of snow in there too though up my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

I had the mother of all hangovers today. A mates 30th last night!! Ruddy hell. Only felt like eating for the first time at around 7.

Anyway glad the paths and roads are clear again. That's Christmas well and truly over now. Looking forward to getting out there again.

I was in James's Hospital the other day visiting the Ma, and she told me she'd heard about some poor unfortunate guy who fell on ice in town and broke his wrist. He got a taxi to A&E and as he was getting out of it he fell and broke the other wrist! Cruel, I know, but I couldn't suppress a laugh.:D
    I'm glad to have escaped the last couple of weeks relatively unscathed.

Anyone else's water been cut off in the evenings?? Been going on for a week now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

My Nana's was gone in Drimnagh during the week. Back now.

C'mon Leeds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭TheLargerBowl

gerard65 wrote: »
    Anyone else's water been cut off in the evenings?? Been going on for a week now.
    Yup, and it's going off at 8pm tonight AGAIN. **** South Dublin County Council.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

We have just been loosing pressure in the evenings so far. Too many people wasted too much water when it was a little bit chilly the other week.

C'mon Leeds!

Can'y believe that match. I was saying 'A well, we have a good run, we can get back to regaining 1st place in the league' and then looked what happened:D Hope the replay is on tele.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

gerard65 wrote: »
    Can'y believe that match. I was saying 'A well, we have a good run, we can get back to regaining 1st place in the league' and then looked what happened:D Hope the replay is on tele.

gutted i am. How many penalties doe defoe miss? good game though.

Just back from London, most amazing match ever, really and truly. Had an absolute blast. Just before we got the penalty we'd been saying how bad a result a replay would be for us and how we didn't want a replay and hoped he missed, lets be honest, we never score penalties. Then we all went absolutely fuffing MENTAL. :D Cracking weekend, it's nice to get away from running and worrying about running and pace and hydration etc for a few days, back now fresh as a daisy dying for a run. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 roversrunner

Just back from London, most amazing match ever, really and truly. Had an absolute blast. Just before we got the penalty we'd been saying how bad a result a replay would be for us and how we didn't want a replay and hoped he missed, lets be honest, we never score penalties. Then we all went absolutely fuffing MENTAL. :D Cracking weekend, it's nice to get away from running and worrying about running and pace and hydration etc for a few days, back now fresh as a daisy dying for a run. :D

Will they sell Beckford RQ?
    If they got to the championship and couldn't hold onto the likes of Beckford, Howson, Snodgrass and Doyle would they be able to make the step up again to the premier league ?

Will they sell Beckford RQ?
    If they got to the championship and couldn't hold onto the likes of Beckford, Howson, Snodgrass and Doyle would they be able to make the step up again to the premier league ?

Depends on what we replaced them with doesn't it? Grayson hasn't spent much money and I'm not sure whether thats because he's saving all his spends for this summer so he can buy Championship/Premiership quality players to get us promoted to the PL if we get promoted this season or if it's because money hasn't been made available to him by Bates. The team we have now on the whole is strong and could compete in the Championship, a few decent signings in the summer if we get promoted and we could go for the back to back promotions without a shadow of a doubt. If we lose some of the players we have now they have to be replaced none of this getting in loans and free signings rubbish. Money will have to be spent but I'm not sure that Bates is willing to spend any. :(

Doyle is only on loan but he wants to stay so we should be able to sign him as I don't think Coventry want him back anyway. Howson and Snoddy won't leave unless we accept a ridiculous bid for them. I'd be more willing to lose Howson than Snodgrass. We need to keep all our first teamers if we get promoted though, even Beckford, as much as I dislike him, if we're to challenge in the championship and try and make the step up again we need to keep Beckford. He won't score at the same rate as he does now in the Championship - that being said he's just scored 3 goals against premier league opposition so maybe we are all wrong about his ability to play in the premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I was trying to explain the sun going supernova in four billion years time
    to my five-year-old daughter, she asks will it happen at nighttime or daytime, coz the people on the other side of the world will be asleep and won't be able
    to get into their rocketships...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

awh sooo cute......clever little one though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Probably a really stupid question (which is why I didn't start a thread!) but watching the indoor championships earlier today, I began to wonder if constantly running on the track in an anti-clockwise direction causes an uneven development of muscles on one side of your body, and an uneven leg length?

How do proper athletes (who spend lots of time on the track) combat this? Do they train in a clockwise direction? Run a circuit with only right turns? Very curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Probably a really stupid question (which is why I didn't start a thread!) but watching the indoor championships earlier today, I began to wonder if constantly running on the track in an anti-clockwise direction causes an uneven development of muscles on one side of your body, and an uneven leg length?

How do proper athletes (who spend lots of time on the track) combat this? Do they train in a clockwise direction? Run a circuit with only right turns? Very curious.

Not claiming to be a proper athlete, but one who has spent his fair share on the track, from an early age we were always warned about the very point you raise.

2 options:
    1. Aways warm up and warm down clockwise.
    2. If we are training with a mixed bunch ability wise, you can fine tune the session, so instead of doing 800's make it 3mins and reverse the recovery, so everyone does the same session time wise and alternating intervals are done clockwise.

Advertisement