Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Hey jump on over to the winter sports forum, we already have a discussion going on the winter Olympics, its great isnt it? Gonna be gutted when its over. And no, that deosnt mean somebody is going to relieve me of my gutts.........admit it, you were about to make that joke

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055820573

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

started studying this week for my PhD viva - on in 3 weeks on March 5th. i already feel like puking at the thoughts of it....Someone just recommended to me that I give up running and let the study be my exercise! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

tunguska wrote: »
    Gonna be gutted when its over.
    ...does that mean that when it's....
    Damnit. You beat me to it.

Loved the women's final last night as well. Really makes me want to dump the skiing and get a snowboard again. But there's a lot of 'faux-cool' around the event isn't there? Like the Americans with their pretend ripped denim jeans that are really standard protective snow-board gear, and the high fives and hugs. Wouldn't happen in the down-hill skiing. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Aparently the Canadians dropped the standard baggy outfits for their boarders this year once they figured out that whlst baggy might look cool it doesn't exactly help with going faster. Still have the skier cross to come as well yet so plenty more chance for good races there.

Was disapointed not to see Cuche get to do his taking off the ski move at the finish of the downhill, but other than that is it a much more civilised bunch on skis. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

MarieC wrote: »
    started studying this week for my PhD viva - on in 3 weeks on March 5th. i already feel like puking at the thoughts of it....Someone just recommended to me that I give up running and let the study be my exercise! :eek:
    The hard work is done at this stage so don't worry too much about it. Learn a bit about the research area's of your examiners, they'll be more confident asking you about things they understand.Know your thesis inside out, you don't need to reread every paper you reference but understand any theories you employed inside out.

Also, most examiners (myself included) will have decided if you pass pretty quickly, but we'll continue to grill you until you can't answer us. It's just the nature of the beast. It's a doctoral degree. When you come out you will officially be a world leading expert in X, so it's got to be a little tough. Don't worry about this.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

...does that mean that when it's....
    Damnit. You beat me to it.

Loved the women's final last night as well. Really makes me want to dump the skiing and get a snowboard again. But there's a lot of 'faux-cool' around the event isn't there? Like the Americans with their pretend ripped denim jeans that are really standard protective snow-board gear, and the high fives and hugs. Wouldn't happen in the down-hill skiing. :)

Yeah as robin said theres a different vibe with the snowboarders. I mean in the press conference before hand, nate Holland was mouthing off about the Canadians, just like they do in boxing. Silly carry on and I was delighted to see him fall in the final. Happy to see wescott win though, he played a blinder. Great final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

edgar-sosa-louisville.jpg

In my spare time .........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Just saw the Tiger Woods statement - what a load of self indulgent horsepoo!! Who gives a toss what him and his wife are talking about?

Also heard Willie O'Dea's interview - class :), the man is guaranteed to top the polls in Limerick again next time. If I could vote for him I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

DustyBin wrote: »
    the man is guaranteed to top the polls in Limerick again next time.
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why we're in the mess we're in.

Just saw the Tiger Woods statement - what a load of self indulgent horsepoo!! Who gives a toss what him and his wife are talking about?

horsepoo to put it mildly. He should feck off, fix his marriage, and we should only be hearing/seeing from him again if he decides to play golf again - afterall thats the only reason people know who he is. He should be caring more right now about his families perception of him, not what the world think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Sosa wrote: »
    In my spare time .........

And yet you find time for:

sosa_1_1024x768.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,166 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

aero2k wrote: »
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why we're in the mess we're in.

Nope. This is:
    Willie O'Dea...If I could vote for him I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

horsepoo to put it mildly. He should feck off, fix his marriage, and we should only be hearing/seeing from him again if he decides to play golf again - afterall thats the only reason people know who he is. He should be caring more right now about his families perception of him, not what the world think.

In fairness, he had to make a statement. The whole world have been talking about his behaviour. I don't really care myself but many do. He has (and is) fecked off to save his marriage and we probably won't see from him until he returns to golf. He apologised to his fans, family, sponsors and charities. I don't think there is much wrong with that. The hugging thing at the end was so awkward looking. Must be a horrible thing to go through for his wife.

In fairness, he had to make a statement. The whole world have been talking about his behaviour. I don't really care myself but many do. He has (and is) fecked off to save his marriage and we probably won't see from him until he returns to golf. He apologised to his fans, family, sponsors and charities. I don't think there is much wrong with that. The hugging thing at the end was so awkward looking. Must be a horrible thing to go through for his wife.

I will politely disagree. He had to make a statement: To who and why? The world stopped talking about it after a couple of weeks. He is worth over a billion dollars, has managed to keep some sponsors so Im sure he wont be on the breadline any time soon. Do you think a televised press conference is going to undo what he has already put his family through? Golf players have complained over him being allowed have his press conference at PGA HQ, Golf journalists boycotted the conference because questions were not going to be allowed. He is only out of the public eye since November, I think he should stay gone a while longer, and eventually, only when he has a thin stick and a tiny ball with him should he be beamed around the world on the television......

I will politely disagree. He had to make a statement: To who and why? The world stopped talking about it after a couple of weeks. He is worth over a billion dollars, has managed to keep some sponsors so Im sure he wont be on the breadline any time soon. Do you think a televised press conference is going to undo what he has already put his family through? Golf players have complained over him being allowed have his press conference at PGA HQ, Golf journalists boycotted the conference because questions were not going to be allowed. He is only out of the public eye since November, I think he should stay gone a while longer, and eventually, only when he has a thin stick and a tiny ball with him should he be beamed around the world on the television......

He had to make a public apology IMO. He's the best golfer in the world and probably the most recognisable person and he did what he did. I just don't think it would be right if he said nothing and returned to golf like nothing happend. Thats not right. What about kids that look up to him and see he's done what he's done, said nothing and carried on. I never said a public apology would undo anything but its better than nothing and thats all I'm saying.

hey good luck with your viva by the way. First question: How does a secondary electron detector work? Have I the right person or am I sounding like a total weirdo? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Tiger Woods - complete PR crap. It had more to do with money, endorsments etc than public apologies. TV ratings for Golf has fallen by 50% and the PGA are worried it needs woods more than woods needs golf. And as for this 'sex addict' bull, trying to justify 'tom catting'. He should take twinks advice to her exhusband and 'zip up his mickey'.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Power metal and the Swedish women's curling team combine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Gave me a laugh !

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV7SXmHq0Bk

• Registered Users Posts: 16,166 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Power metal...

Oww, my ears.

Should have had a NSFOF* warning.

*Not safe for old fogies.

He had to make a public apology IMO. He's the best golfer in the world and probably the most recognisable person and he did what he did. I just don't think it would be right if he said nothing and returned to golf like nothing happend. Thats not right. What about kids that look up to him and see he's done what he's done, said nothing and carried on. I never said a public apology would undo anything but its better than nothing and thats all I'm saying.

hey good luck with your viva by the way. First question: How does a secondary electron detector work? Have I the right person or am I sounding like a total weirdo? :D

Aw man! - I should not have read the end of your post at this hour of the night! The SEM works by gathering all emitted sceondary that are diffracted off the sample surface.... Yeah I need to brush up on that... Now if you'd asked how the FIB or TEM work I could have wooed you with my knowledge!!

• Advertisement

Aw man! - I should not have read the end of your post at this hour of the night! The SEM works by gathering all emitted sceondary that are diffracted off the sample surface.... Yeah I need to brush up on that... Now if you'd asked how the FIB or TEM work I could have wooed you with my knowledge!!

ha ha sorry, I was trying to change the subject....didn't think. I work on a FIB myself. Great when it works.

ha ha sorry, I was trying to change the subject....didn't think. I work on a FIB myself. Great when it works.

Do you have to do ex-situ liftouts? dear God the bane of my life! Get yourself a PIPS and ul never look back!!!

Do you have to do ex-situ liftouts? dear God the bane of my life! Get yourself a PIPS and ul never look back!!!

Funny you should ask, my final year project was on that. Prepared loads of lamella and used a probe station to remove them with a glass needle. Killed every one of them and found out that the grids I was using didn't have the carbon mesh to hold the lamella. Very dumb, project ruined and I worked my ass off for it.

Annnyway, Tiger Woods eh? :D

Funny you should ask, my final year project was on that. Prepared loads of lamella and used a probe station to remove them with a glass needle. Killed every one of them and found out that the grids I was using didn't have the carbon mesh to hold the lamella. Very dumb, project ruined and I worked my ass off for it.

Annnyway, Tiger Woods eh? :D

tiger woods should try a few ex-situ liftouts, would take his mind off things or at least distract him for a while!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

OK, heathen needing advice here...

My eldest is doing his 1st communion in April and the clan are gathering. All told we'll have 15 people at it, with 9 of them having come down from Donegal and stayed in Hotels to be there. We've booked a decent hotel for a meal afterwards, 3 course set menu ad a couple of bottles of wine.

But not having done this or been invited to any before I don't know the protocol. I was expecting to pay for everyones food and teh first couple of bottles of wine. If people want more booze they can pay themselves - basically like a wedding.

Am I right? Is there an expectation I'll feed everyone? Should we supply more booze? Anything else I should know?

In teh immortal words of Lois Lane - help!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Things have moved on a bit since I was a youth seemingly. We were chauffered around to relatives homes where mum sat talking with them eating biscuits and drinking tea while I sat bored out of my tree, drinking watery robinsons and gone off crisps and thankful of the card I got 5 pound in. Do people not do that anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

I was expecting to pay for everyones food and teh first couple of bottles of wine. If people want more booze they can pay themselves - basically like a wedding.

Am I right? Is there an expectation I'll feed everyone? Should we supply more booze?

Firstly - most people won't expect you to pay for their dinner.

If you want to pay for the grub and a round of drinks then go for it I'd say. Personally I think this is what I would do.

I've been at a few communion / christening type parties over the past few years and at all of them we were willing to pay for our own grub & drinks. At almost every one of them the parents did exactly what you are talking about above, just with variations on the food. Some had 3 course meals, some had platters.

The only thing I would suggest to you if you are going to pay for the dinner and a few bottles of wine then tell people when you have paid. That way there is no confusion over whether your guests should attempt to pay their own way or not, and also you get the message across that they are on their own after that (maybe tell the waiting staff also).

And if things are going really well afterwards sure you might even find yourself buying a round of scotch or maybe some sambuca :D

Good luck and enjoy it - a parental milestone I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Amadeus, that sounds about right. We went to a restaurant with family (around 15-20) for a late lunch and picked up the tab for dinner and drinks. Being a late lunch rather than dinner (and having a gaggle of kids there) there wasn't much call for many extra bottles of wine, but I have been to some that are quite boozy affairs. At a certain point in the proceedings you could always call time and suggest switching to a pub, thereby closing the open account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

I was brought to the zoo for my first communion:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

I was taken to a pub in Waterford (the excitement) for orange & crisps.

Received the princely sum of £7.50!

Don't know if one donator gave me 1.50 or just 50p....:confused:

Advertisement