Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Am I right? Is there an expectation I'll feed everyone? Should we supply more booze? Anything else I should know?

I'm no expert, but given the day that's in it, you just need five loaves, a couple of fishes, and several bottles of as-yet-untranssubstantiated water. Get Jr. Amadeus to say a few prayers, and- hey presto!- an all you can eat and drink Catholipalooza!:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just a blatant hit and run of on-topic'ness in the off-topic thread to try and drum up business for people to put their names down for running a leg in the Cork Marathon Relay. Especially if there are any more ladies out there who are willing to put their name forward to make up an all female team of boardsie's. If we get teams of five then it's only a leg of about 5 miles each, give or take a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

robinph wrote: »
    Just a blatant hit and run of on-topic'ness in the off-topic thread to try and drum up business for people to put their names down for running a leg in the Cork Marathon Relay. Especially if there are any more ladies out there who are willing to put their name forward to make up an all female team of boardsie's. If we get teams of five then it's only a leg of about 5 miles each, give or take a bit.

Don't forget to mention the plss up after :D

And on a seperate note my kids have purchased the Jedward single :rolleyes: and have had ice ice baby on repeat ever since :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Woddle wrote: »
    And on a seperate note my kids have purchased the Jedward single :rolleyes: and have had ice ice baby on repeat ever since :D

I blame the parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

But not having done this or been invited to any before I don't know the protocol. I was expecting to pay for everyones food and teh first couple of bottles of wine. If people want more booze they can pay themselves - basically like a wedding.

I think that if you say you're paying for dinner, people will expect you to pay for everything they eat or drink until they leave the table. It could get awkward afterwards trying to explain that no, the first couple of bottles you were paying for but these other two they have to pay for themselves.

But if you move from the table to the bar, it's clear enough that from then on they're on their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Woddle wrote: »
    Don't forget to mention the plss up after :D

Go on, admit it, your their biggest fan, the kids bought it, we believe you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

gerard65 wrote: »
    Go on, admit it, your their biggest fan, the kids bought it, we believe you:D

It's all about the hair :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Ahhh the wisdom of the ART forum, is there no question you can't answer!

It's mostly my parents, sisters, thier partners and kids so I'll probably tell my Dad the plan and ask him to spread the word. With so many kids and almost everyone driving back to Donegal afterwards I doubt much will be drunk anyway.

As for Jedward - don't get me started... Anything with Simon Cowells touch is automatically anti-music anyway but I think I'm turning into my Grandad "that modern music, it all sounds the same, it's repetitive and teh words don't make sense...":o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

As for Jedward - don't get me started... Anything with Simon Cowells touch is automatically anti-music anyway but I think I'm turning into my Grandad "that modern music, it all sounds the same, it's repetitive and teh words don't make sense...":o
    You've just made an enemy in woddle, did you not hear? He's a BIG fan:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

My kids made me buy the blinkin' thing on itunes so they could put it on their ipods (Apple love my family:rolleyes:). They've been playing it over and over again, and are now working out their dance moves. It's driving me mad... (I know they're listening on headphones but they're singing it out loud, really loud!) and I can't even eat a bit of chocolate to ease the pain...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

racheljev wrote: »
    ...and I can't even eat a bit of chocolate to ease the pain...
    In response to the line "pain is temporary, glory is forever" that I think they have plastered around the Olympics, one of the athletes responded with "pain is just a bit of French bread".

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,166 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

robinph wrote: »
    In response to the line "pain is temporary, glory is forever" that I think they have plastered around the Olympics, one of the athletes responded with "pain is just a bit of French bread".

:D

Or, as Ben Johnson might say, "glory is temporary, pain is forever".

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

By the way, the skier cross was just as good as the boarder cross. Where the boarder cross is 'uber-cool', the ski cross is fast and dangerous. I know the skiers were a lot faster over the same route, but any idea what the difference in times would have been? They should finish off with the top two boarders against the top 2 skiers on the same route. Absolute carnage!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,166 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What about the cross country skiing? That stuff is savage. The sprint consists of 1400m for the women and 1600m for the men. It starts with a time-trial and the top 30 advance to the QF, top 12 to the semis and then you have a final, all on the same day! Holy crap.

And the team event is 6 x the same distance, but there's only TWO on each team, so you get to do 3 legs each (your recovery is as long as your teammate takes to do their leg)! And, yes, you've guessed it, there's a semi and a final on the same day. If you asked huskies to do that the RSPCA would be up in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

By the way, the skier cross was just as good as the boarder cross. Where the boarder cross is 'uber-cool', the ski cross is fast and dangerous. I know the skiers were a lot faster over the same route, but any idea what the difference in times would have been? They should finish off with the top two boarders against the top 2 skiers on the same route. Absolute carnage!

Womens ski cross tonight on BBC2 at 9pm. I reckon there'll be as much carnage as there was in the mens races........hopefully anyway.
    Chris Del Bosco is an absolute legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

To the guy sitting in front of me in class reading A/R/T events...

Hi :)

To the guy sitting in front of me in class reading A/R/T events...

Hi :)

The Internet, improving social interactions since 1843.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

tunguska wrote: »
    Womens ski cross tonight on BBC2 at 9pm. I reckon there'll be as much carnage as there was in the mens races........hopefully anyway.
    Chris Del Bosco is an absolute legend.
    I have the pleasure of being in Canada (other side of a big country) for the games and watching wall to wall coverage in hi-def after skiing.
    It's fabulous entertainment except for the figure skating.:)

Not so pleasant though is the attitude of the Canadian TV company who have bought the broadcasting rights and feel they are entitled to lots of Canadian medals. The commentary gets quite nasty when a local favoriite underachieves.

I have never seen anything like the pressure the Canadian athletes are under in front of a home audience. Not surprisingly a lot of them are cracking under the pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

I have to admit I actually shed a tear watching the women's short program figure skating last night. A canadian girl skating and her mother had died suddenly of a heart attack on saturday night. She decided to skate anyway but in memory of her mother.

Currently positioned in 3rd. Was an emotionally charged performance to say the least!

On other competitors - they'll have to make a film about Del Bosco!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

With so many exciting, fast, made-for-TV sports in the Winter Olympics....how come 8 times out of 10 when I turn on the BBC coverage I'm faced with either:
    a) curling
    b) a discussion about curling

...you'd think with their gold in one of the exciting sports (sliding down an ice tunnel on a tea tray), the Brits would focus on something other than past achievements.

(Hope we stuff them in the rugby on Saturday :D)

• Advertisement

where can i watch the winter olympics online for free? dont even want a live stream, just previous days events

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

MarieC wrote: »
    where can i watch the winter olympics online for free? dont even want a live stream, just previous days events
    gently redirects marieC away from the internet and back to her thesis.

Are any of the ART'ies any good with logo design type stuff. I need a logo for a race I'm planning and our budget is about €0.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Are any of the ART'ies any good with logo design type stuff. I need a logo for a race I'm planning and our budget is about €0.
    Have you considered crowd-sourcing? A friend managed to get a decent set of company logos, for very little investment.

gently redirects marieC away from the internet and back to her thesis.

thanks hunnymonster. Im shattered tired tho. Did a run-through of presentation this morning for about 6 of the crew here. quite happy with it. So Iv just one week left of reading and studying thesis inside out. Oh and misty floyd I checked up how an SEM works so Im sorted! (she says oh so nervously!)

PM me details, I used to be great at graphic design stuff, might be able to get someone else to do something good for you. For free.:)

Just sent you some info RQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Peckham wrote: »
    With so many exciting, fast, made-for-TV sports in the Winter Olympics....how come 8 times out of 10 when I turn on the BBC coverage I'm faced with either:
    a) curling
    b) a discussion about curling

...you'd think with their gold in one of the exciting sports (sliding down an ice tunnel on a tea tray), the Brits would focus on something other than past achievements.

(Hope we stuff them in the rugby on Saturday :D)

I thought we were playing the English and not the Scots tomorrow?

The english can't be blamed for curling

Just sent you some info RQ.

I'll get thinking after my now enforced daily afternoon nap.

Damn illness!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

<nosy>Is this the April thing or something else?</nosy>

Advertisement