Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

something else...why aren't you on facebook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

something else...why aren't you on facebook?

Social media? Pffft

Facebook is for kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

Well headed out to do 8 miles this evening. Did my usual walk for 5 minutes to warm up then just as I was about to hit start on the garmin. BAM! I was lying on the ground with some guy over me throwing punch after punch at my head. Managed to get back to my feet but in a complete daze and all the time the punches kept coming. After a minute or so someone came over to try and stop him and then he backed away toward a gang of youths across the road.

I slowly walked away wondering what in the name of Jesus just happend??? There is a Garda station just 5 minutes around the corner so went in there and gave a statement and they took a couple of photos of my face which had started to swell out and bruise.

So didn't get to run and am sitting here in front of the pc with black and blue eyes and feeling a bit sore. At least those ice packs I have come in handy.

Long post, I know but I felt the urge to tell someone.

I'm 39yr male and the guy who did it was perhaps 16/18 or so and around the same height as me 5ft 10".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well headed out to do 8 miles this evening. Did my usual walk for 5 minutes to warm up then just as I was about to hit start on the garmin. BAM! I was lying on the ground with some guy over me throwing punch after punch at my head. Managed to get back to my feet but in a complete daze and all the time the punches kept coming. After a minute or so someone came over to try and stop him and then he backed away toward a gang of youths across the road.

I slowly walked away wondering what in the name of Jesus just happend??? There is a Garda station just 5 minutes around the corner so went in there and gave a statement and they took a couple of photos of my face which had started to swell out and bruise.

So didn't get to run and am sitting here in front of the pc with black and blue eyes and feeling a bit sore. At least those ice packs I have come in handy.

Long post, I know but I felt the urge to tell someone.

I'm 39yr male and the guy who did it was perhaps 16/18 or so and around the same height as me 5ft 10".

Jeus Christ. What the f*ck is wrong with people?!:mad:

Hope you're alright. Fair play to you for reporting it, most, myself included, would have just gone straight home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Jesus Hibernian, sorry to hear that. Total scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Awful, awful act. I do despair.
    Really sorry to hear that HibernianRunner. Hope you have an easy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good grief - what's happening on the streets? Hope you have a speedy recovery.

jeez, speedy recovery. There is something very wrong when this kind o thng happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

That's a genuinely shocking story, HibernianRunner. I hope you recover quickly. Some stories just leave you gobsmacked...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

That's horrible Hibernianrunner. You did the right thing going to the garda. I think i would have been in such shock i would have went home. Hopefully it hasnt taken too much out of you.

In other news, i just finished off the weirdest and quite big breakfest for a saturday. Did some intervals on the bike this morning and was starving after. got home had 100gms oats with chopped banana, spoon cocoa powder, spoon apricot preserve, some seeds and nuts and spoon peanut butter all mixed together ... og a pot of glenisk thrown in too. Weird but nyommmy. Finished off with a nice stronggggg coffeeee. Happy UL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

Thanks people

I'm actually feeling ok justly slightly sore. My face is kinda swollen and have two black eyes, the right one is a whopper!

This happened in Ballymun where I am from(lol I know what your thinking). But I'm 39 and have lived here since I was 3 and have never had occasion to feel worried about my safety whatsoever, day or night. Which is why this came as such a shock to me.

The guy who attacked me was wearing a hoody and as it happend just before 7pm it was dark so I couldnt really get a clear view of his face but he was definitly in his late teens.
    I was wearing headphones listening to the radio when it happened so I didn't hear him when he came up from behind me. All I knew was that I found myself staring at the curb of the footpath and someone standing over me throwing punches to my head. I managed to get to my feet and all I could do was to put my hands out to block him. I was in complete shock and totally dazed. If only I had seen him coming and had been in my senses I could have put up a fight. Thankfully someone came over and tried to stop him and he walked over to the gang of youths accross the road.

When talking to the Gardai after they think it may have been an act of bravado because he didn't try to rob me and there was no cause to attack me as I was just minding my own business just walking up the road getting ready to go for a run. Thinking back this guy seemed to be no stranger to throwing punches as he hit me everytime across the face with both hands, very clinical and efficient I must say!

I have to say the Gardai were very good and offered to bring me to the hospital but as nothing was broken I went home, didn't want to stay in A/E all night.

Anyway the Gardai are going to investigate and there is a CCTV camera on that road so they think it may have been caught on film but there not sure so they will let me know.

So thats about the extent of it atm. It hasn't put me off running though!! love the aul fittness buzz. Will lay low for a couple of days and get back to it.

Thanks all for your concerns.

Alan.

thanks for updating us HR. i know you don't want to sit in A&E for the rest of your natural life but keep an eye on yourself all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

All this talk about Head Shops etc.

Go for a run in the cold.

then hot shower.

there ya go........legal high.

Talking about legal highs and seeing as I need no opportunity to enter Proud Parent mode... :D

My eldest (8) was selected to play sports for the school for the first time. It was in basketball and he was one of eight (well that turned up, I don't know how many were selected!) out of all the boys in three classes in his age group. It was teh schools first match and they were playing against a local team & Jnr scored the opening basket and 4 points in total as the school won 11-8 :D

A huge, huge deal, especially considering his medical problems. Sometimes (just sometimes) all the hassles of parenthood are worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

OMG Hibernian runner I hope they get a hold of that thug. Muppet. Glad you 'only' came out with bruises. What the hell is wrong with people these days

On a different note. I need a car. If anyone happens to have a 04 Focus or know of one that is sound. Quick sale it could be.

On a different note. I need a car. If anyone happens to have a 04 Focus or know of one that is sound. Quick sale it could be.

An 04 Focus? Thats a bit specific isn't it?

Anyway you need a real car, get yourself one of these:

2187608535_cc586102f2.jpg

I happen to know where one is for sale...

And before anyone alerts customs yes it is now on Irish plates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Hibernian runner your incident is why I am glad I am not allowed carry a gun in this country .Delighted you can tell the tale as it could have easily had a really bad ending.

Nice car Amadeus : How would it be fixed for 2 child seats in the back and a bike carrier.
    Its on my wish list just after a Datsun 240Z.

The rear seats basically are child seats - the transmission tunnel is chest high to the kids sitting in the back so they are pretty well tucked in. Bike carrier on teh other hand...

Datsun 240Z is a cracking car - had a toy one when I was a kid and it was one of my favourites. Ahhh happy memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

FYI: Raw brussels sprouts thrown in to a shephards pie will not cook through in the oven. I made shephards pie for this weeks lunchs and dinners, I have a bi-daily brussel sprout dumping ritual now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

it's lovely and sunny from in here. bitter experience tells me it's only sunny out there though. might get to arrive home after the run home with the sun still in the sky.
    The days are indeed getting longer:) WOOHOO!

• Advertisement

lol, I know what you mean PeterX. My world has 3 seasons:
    late autum/winter: too dangerous to get to and from work under my own steam
    spring: days long enough to cycle to and from work but not run
    summer/ early autumn: days long enough to run to and from work (26km)

Anyone know what the airport will be like with bringing sports supplements through? I want to bring a sachet of recovery drink in my hand luggage but not sure whether they'll take it away from me or not.

you've probably left already but I regulalry take sports powders through and never had a problem. When I remember, I tend to take a label from the pack with me.

I've got a lurgy of some sort. liquid oozing out of every orifice and a old mans cough :-(

you've probably left already but I regulalry take sports powders through and never had a problem. When I remember, I tend to take a label from the pack with me.

I've got a lurgy of some sort. liquid oozing out of every orifice and a old mans cough :-(

Just checking before I leave the house, good timing, I'll risk it sure, thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Been throught the airport with gels in my carry on loads of times and they never notice them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Just about to head off and take some pictures of the race in the Phoenix Park today... and I find my bike knocked over on the floor in the back garden. The steering was all twisted round, which a bit of brute force and ignorance has approximately realigned, but the lock has obviously got mangled in the process as well so no chance of getting the steering lock properly disengaged or being able to start it. No way I'm riding it even if I could get it started though as it feels as if it could lock in some position at random.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Going to find some zombies/ aliens/ Germans to kill on the xbox now and let out a bit of the anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Did it fall or was it pushed?

Unless there was an earthquake last night that I didn't notice then it was pushed or knocked by someone. It is a shared back garden between 5 houses, but half of them are empty right now and hardly anyone else uses the side gates these days. Must have been some <insert abusive term here> who came round the back and knocked it over, have had a bike knicked from there before and I suspect that would have been a cheaper option for me.

I did managed to scrounge a lift down to the park in the end though and saw todays races, glad I wasn't running myself though as it looked bloody fast running up the front. Should have got some decent pictures though, despite now also having lost a lens cap in the process as well.

Maybe I should have stayed in bed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭jlang

robinph wrote: »
    having lost a lens cap in the process as well.
    Lens caps. Can't let myself order anything from this shop any more because I always end up buying about 4 times more extra stuff than I thought I needed.

• Advertisement

...and they come with a bit of string on them so that you don't loose them . Handy.

Advertisement