Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Next Saturday will be nail biting. Bristol Rovers at home. 1 of 5 teams could be automatically promoted. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

Saw a quote about the Mayo football team that could have been made for Leeds:
    "Mayo fans can handle despair, it's the hope that kills them!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

aero2k wrote: »
    Saw a quote about the Mayo football team that could have been made for Leeds:
    "Mayo fans can handle despair, it's the hope that kills them!"

Ah here guys, at least Leeds United have won stuff in the past.

Spare a thought for the little city of Buffalo, the most cursed city in North American sport.

http://www.buffalocurse.com/

Never won a Superbowl despite making 4 of them in a row, one of which had a kick with 9 seconds left to win the game and put it "Wide Right".

Never won a Stanley Cup, lost in the finals twice, one of which they lost to a goal that was illegal.

Compared to these guys Leeds United have it pretty sweet :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

04072511 wrote: »
    Never won a Stanley Cup, lost in the finals twice, one of which they lost to a goal that was illegal.

This one sounds like Paris 75...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Alternative* source of income is nearly sorted for robinph. :D:D:D

Unfortunately means I'll have to become the UK based chapter of Boards AC now.

* Alternative to the dole that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

robinph wrote: »
    Hmm.. UK chapter... Could be handy for London marathon good-for-age qualifications!
    Congrats by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

As Jersey isn't in the UK can we be Boards Exiles instead? Good news and all the best Robin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Congrats Robinph. Make sure and post a full list of your local races when you get settled and approximate floor space in your new gaff for squatters for the races.

Congrats Robin. Any good ultras/marathons were you will be? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

If any boardsies are around Dublin next Wendesday let me know. Ill be hanging around Fitzwilliam aquare most of the day - have an interview at 4.30. EEK. God knows ill need many coffee trips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

ULstudent wrote: »
    If any boardsies are around Dublin next Wendesday let me know. Ill be hanging around Fitzwilliam aquare most of the day - have an interview at 4.30. EEK. God knows ill need many coffee trips.

The very best of luck UL ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not sure about any of those silly long distance races that you girls do, I'll be stearing well clear of them anyway. I have been trying to see what I can find out about local races already though and I think I'm going to miss the BHAA type races that I've had to keep me occupied in Dublin.

Will have to look into setting up something for London entries via a Boards Exiles PO Box. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

04072511 wrote: »

Spare a thought for the little city of Buffalo, the most cursed city in North American sport.

ah no. c'mon we have the bragging rights in mayo.

in the last 20 (odd) years alone................listen to this..............

6 all ireland senior football finals
    ----did not win any. incl replay.
    6 all ireland under 21 football finals
    did not win any. (sorry won 1)
    6 all ireland minor football finals
    did not win any.

the above is fairly right. might be one or two off either way.

its a long drive from the back ars of belmullet to croke park and back.
    in fairness its good crack up till about 4:30 on final day.
    alot of people have gone to all these and continue to go back time and time again................imagine if the feckers won and ya werent there !

so i take issue with the buffalos. they have to prove themselves a bit more yet.

lost a few leagues / club finals etc but wont go there. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Alternative* source of income is nearly sorted for robinph. :D:D:D

* Alternative to the dole that is.
    We were talking about this last Saturday. Sounds like a good opportunity. I've got a interview for a third level course tomorrow, if I don't get in I may be leaving myself. I had to leave in the 80's, never thought I be facing this prospect again. God, we really made a complete balls of this country:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

did not win any.

alot of people have gone to all these and continue to go back time and time again................imagine if the feckers won and ya werent there !

so i take issue with the buffalos. they have to prove themselves a bit more yet.

What about your women's football team ? They've done the business for ye a few times in the last few years ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

yep. thats for sure.
    and we had pee flynn, charlie haughey, mary robinson, enda kinny, and pat rabbette all from mayo.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

yep. thats for sure.
    and we had pee flynn, charlie haughey, mary robinson, enda kinny, and pat rabbette all from mayo.;)

Ye're a lost cause ! Ye should lobby to have the All-Ireland played somewhere else - might help to eliminate the 'Croke Park Factor'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

did not win any.

True, Mayo are grade A chokers, however the Buffalo Bills making 4 Superbowls in a row (only team to ever do this) and lose all 4 (obviously only team to do this) does take some beating. You'd have thought they would have won at least one of them, and brought some joy to possibly the most loyal fans in the USA (They've been AWFUL for the last 10 years and still sell out 70,000 tickets for all their home games, incredible!).

Maybe the true winner in all this isnt a team, but instead an individual by the name of Jimmy White. Poor fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

gerard65 wrote: »
    I had to leave in the 80's, never thought I be facing this prospect again.
    I also left in the 80's and made the mistake of coming back in 1990 when things were even worse than they are now.
    gerard65 wrote: »
    God, we really made a complete balls of this country:(
    Not the right forum to argue about this, but I take issue very strongly with the "we".

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

Woot.

• Advertisement

I spent much of that game trying to decide which team I dislike more. I still can't decide, however, I like laughing at Man City fans so....

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

kit3 wrote: »
    What about your women's football team ? They've done the business for ye a few times in the last few years ;)

...and not to mention all the club finals that have had a Mayo team taking part. + the odd victory here and there - Crossmolina 2001 and Ballina 2005.

BTW how about Clann Na Gael from Roscomon who reached 6 all-Ireland club finals in a row from 1985 to 1990 and lost them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I like laughing at Man City fans so....
    I wonder what the city of Manchester did to you...

Man City fans are by far the biggest bunch of arseholes, always liked Man City until I started travelling to Leeds via Manchester...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

As a committed Gooner, the nightmare is beginning to unfold...'arry and the boys overtake us on the final day, for the first time since approx 1774:mad:

The only consolation is that surely he'll be doing a 5 year stretch at Her Majesty's Pleasure for tax evasion, next season....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I had my mates down to the house to watch the match and a few beers and how fecking happy am I, Go on the spurs, it must be the first season of my life that spurs have not built you up to knock you the feck back down :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

For Leeds fans watching their bloved Cantona go to a great club for little over a million and propel them from the darkness to 11 league titles in 17 years must be tough. Especially as leeds have went into a serial decline during the same peiod. It's incredible how a single decision has changed the course of football history. It's gotta be enough to make any Leeds fan Bitter.

Yes because the rivalry between Leeds and you lot has only been there for 17 year and the feelings of hatred aren't mutual at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Izoard wrote: »
    As a committed Gooner, the nightmare is beginning to unfold...'arry and the boys overtake us on the final day, for the first time since approx 1774:mad:

The only consolation is that surely he'll be doing a 5 year stretch at Her Majesty's Pleasure for tax evasion, next season....

As a fellow Gooner, the strange thing is it doesn't bother me in the least. This whole Spurs Arsenal thing "hatred" is one sided apart from the local North Londoners. Even at the games the whole "Stand up if you hate Tottenham" gets a quizzical if not disdainful response from most (to be fair a majority of our fans are too lazy/shy/posh to get off their padded seats and sing anyway). The real rivalry is with Chelsea and United.

Last night I was hoping for the draw so we would get 3rd and then for Spurs to clinch 4th.

It's the lesser of two evils, we can compete with Spurs in the transfer marker, if Citeh got 4th and Champions Leagie footie they could attract a calibre of player we could only dream of affording.

Maybe if Spurs start to challenge the rivalry can return but not when they will get knocked out in the pre lims of the Champs League ;):)

This may come back and bite me - oh well. :pac:

• Advertisement

Got a letter this morning saying my dole is about to run out and need to fill in a bunch of forms to see if I'm able to get the means tested version of it. Great timing there and that letter can go straight in the bin. :D

Advertisement