Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yes because the rivalry between Leeds and you lot has only been there for 17 year and the feelings of hatred aren't mutual at all...

I don't feel hatred just Pity. I actually have to laugh at the amount of teams that hate us and think we hate them back. The only teams I actually hate would be Liverpool and City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Can't see how are Leeds a rival to anyone bar Sheffield teams? Carlisle United or Milwall maybe?
    They were found in 1904 which is a joke in comparison to places like Sheffield when people speak of Man Utd and the "war of the roses" rivalry :).
    Their scumbag fans had a few fights with Man Utd in the 70's but since they are in a mickey mouse league the last few years I'd say all that happens now is jibes.

Felt pity for them when they thought they pulled off a giant killing in the cup when Fergie threw the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

menoscemo wrote: »
    I don't feel hatred just Pity. I actually have to laugh at the amount of teams that hate us and think we hate them back. The only teams I actually hate would be Liverpool and City.

Well I never expected that, menoscemo turns out to be Gary Neville ;):pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ever been to a game between the two? The hatred is very much mutual. What other reason would your fans have to sing about us every week? Same with Chelsea. Real rivalries, never die.

Can't see how are Leeds a rival to anyone bar Sheffield teams? Carlisle United or Milwall maybe?
    They were found in 1904 which is a joke in comparison to places like Sheffield when people speak of Man Utd and the "war of the roses" rivalry .
    Their scumbag fans had a few fights with Man Utd in the 70's but since they are in a mickey mouse league the last few years I'd say all that happens now is jibes.

Felt pity for them when they thought they pulled off a giant killing in the cup when Fergie threw the match.

Poor wind up attempt. Must try harder. :P

• Advertisement

Sub430 wrote: »
    Well I never expected that, menoscemo turns out to be Gary Neville ;):pac:

Even as a United fan I hate that little cnut and he still can't even grow a moustache
    Ever been to a game between the two? The hatred is very much mutual. What other reason would your fans have to sing about us every week? Same with Chelsea. Real rivalries, never die.

Every week :confused: It sounds like you leeds fans get a sense of self importance from thinking united fans hate you, whatever floats your boat I suppose :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Could'nt really care what a manure supporter thinks of Leeds. After all many will be supporting Chelsea next year if they win the league. Many manure fans we're Arsenal supporters a few years ago, then they switched to Sunderland when the cork knacker was in charge. Leeds fans are real fans.:D
    37 years a Leeds supporter.
    MARCHING ON TOGETHER.

Love the TV coverage of the British general election. I'll be up all night watching this. The computer graphics are cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Seen as this is an Off-Topic thread I may aswell pose a controversial question?

What is the whole appeal of the English Premiership anyway? And why do Irish people living in Cork, Galway, Dublin, Carlow etc refer to teams from the west coast of England as "we". Am genuinely interested. It baffles me.

Supposedly we are the only nation in Europe who reports on a foreign league first before our national league.

With regard to which team has the scummiest supporters, I think its like asking which country is more dangerous to visit: Somalia, or the Central African Republic. One may be more dangerous than the other, but both of which you probably wont make it out alive. Whats my point? Theres a huge scum element in english football in general (its sad, as there are plenty of normal supporters aswell), and it really is pointless argueing which clubs are worse.

My two cents anyway :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

For me it's a combination, my dad supported spurs therefore I do, there an english speaking country, our own native talent play there and the standard is far superior to our own.

• Advertisement

gerard65 wrote: »
    Could'nt really care what a manure supporter thinks of Leeds. After all many will be supporting Chelsea next year if they win the league. Many manure fans we're Arsenal supporters a few years ago, then they switched to Sunderland when the cork knacker was in charge. Leeds fans are real fans.:D
    37 years a Leeds supporter.
    MARCHING ON TOGETHER.

And you're dead right and I respect you for that. I am a manure fan as you put it since my third birthday in 1980 when my big brother declared himself a Liverpool fan. I have no time for fair weather fans either.

Really enjoying this british election coverage too. Can't understand how the lib dems are gonna be up on votes but still lose seats though

Why do we follow english football? Because league of Ireland is sh1t. Our 'native' games are GAA football and hurling. Soccer is different so we support the 'best' league in the world, a bit like some people support american football teams. If you like the sport and the 'local' version can't satisfy you'll look elsewhere. Also, all the top Irish players play in England (or for Celtic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Why do we follow english football? Because league of Ireland is sh1t. Our 'native' games are GAA football and hurling. Soccer is different so we support the 'best' league in the world, a bit like some people support american football teams. If you like the sport and the 'local' version can't satisfy you'll look elsewhere. Also, all the top Irish players play in England (or for Celtic).

Wouldnt agree with this. Best league now possibly, but it wasnt always the best league in the world. Far from it (remember Man Utd getting hammered in Gottenburg?). Yet Irish people still followed English teams back then aswell.

Dont know if I'd agree with the point of view of supporting the "best" aswell. What about International football? Ireland will never win the World Cup, so why not go support Spain in that case?

But your point about American Football is true. Its something people enjoy so people like to watch it, so nothing wrong with people enjoying some good football on the box.

But one question I have to ask, if an Irish team made it to a champions league final round qualifier against your favourite english team who would you (you in the general sense) be cheering for? I know it sounds farfetched, but if such an event occured, supporting Man Utd, Liverpool or whoever against an Irish team is essentially supporting England over Ireland. Nobody would do this if it was the Irish national team against the English national team, so why should it be any different for club football?

04072511 wrote: »
    Seen as this is an Off-Topic thread I may aswell pose a controversial question?

What is the whole appeal of the English Premiership anyway? And why do Irish people living in Cork, Galway, Dublin, Carlow etc refer to teams from the west coast of England as "we". Am genuinely interested. It baffles me.

Supposedly we are the only nation in Europe who reports on a foreign league first before our national league.

With regard to which team has the scummiest supporters, I think its like asking which country is more dangerous to visit: Somalia, or the Central African Republic. One may be more dangerous than the other, but both of which you probably wont make it out alive. Whats my point? Theres a huge scum element in english football in general (its sad, as there are plenty of normal supporters aswell), and it really is pointless argueing which clubs are worse.

My two cents anyway :cool:

The supporting of foreign teams is never going to change. People have been following english clubs for generations, thats were all our genuine talent goes. The FAI and the national media have to take a lot of the blame for the state of the Irish game. Been to a lot of eircom league games and would consider Bohs as my team, although now Pats are my local team.

Under normal circumstances I visit Elland Road at least once a month, usually twice a month. For years, in fact moreso the ****ty years of Leeds I lived and breathed LUFC. It's very much a 'we' for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

'tis just a bit of escapism, that can be taken a little too seriously sometimes, I for one would like to congratulate Gary Neville and Paul Scholes on finally coming out of the closet

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/19/paul-scholes-gary-neville_n_542566.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Speaking personally I was born in the English north west (lancashire) and Liverpool are one of the local clubs there. I'm also married into a Scouse family. That said my kids have been in the Limerick FC soccer camps, both have been mascots and I've been to a few matches at Jackman Park.

Not sure which fans are worse but I've seen Liverpool play both Leeds and Man Utd at Anfield and there was def a bigger police presence for the Leeds game, which I was surprised by as I would have thought there was more hatred between LFC and Utd. I don't like Leeds but I don't hate them. Utd on the other hand...

Actually that's something else I don't understand - how can you follow a football club if you've never been to the ground to see a match? A friend of mine is a Chesea "fan", lived in London for years and yet has never seen a match. My little lad is only 8 and he's already been to Anfield. Proper supporters support from teh ground :D

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

It's a genuine sense of identity with your team. Arsenal for me have been the only constant in my life for the last 25 years (apart from family and two mates I started baby infants with :)). There have been ups and down, trials and tribulations, deep deep despair and utter unconfined joy. Sometimes all of this happens in 90 minutes. You can't get this anywhere else (legally at least).

It's unrequited love plain and simple - a wave from the players after a good win is all you get but even this can be enough for you to go home happy safe in the knowledge that you were indeed the 13th man who helped your team win. To non football supporters this could sound like utter tosh and probably is, if I could be born again I would ask to come back as a non football supporter....maybe ;)

It's such an identity that if I asked anyone who knows me "who are we playing on Sunday", they wouldn't think I was talking about Tullamore, Offaly or even Ireland, they know the we means The Arsenal.

I've been to loads of GAA, I even made a go at supporting Ireland for a few years but there is no atmosphere like that of a Premier League game. I don't get armchair fans who have never been to a live game though, that's baffling.

If Arsenal were playing an Irish team, Arsenal all the way. Then again you take the stick with it, my phone was hopping when Henry handled the ball and he doesn't even play for us :) anymore.

But one question I have to ask, if an Irish team made it to a champions league final round qualifier against your favourite english team who would you (you in the general sense) be cheering for?
    I follow Leeds. As a kid I would go to Milltown and watch Shamrock Rovers but my 'real' team was always Leeds. Don't know why. Maybe English football was more glamorous. I still keep an eye on Rovers but would rarely go to watch them, I've been to Pats games more than Rovers over the last few years (long story). If Leeds were playing any league of Ireland team I'd support Leeds ( have done in friendlys against shels). If any LOI were playing any other team I'd support the LOI team. Its not a case or Irish v English, its simply who you support.

Not sure which fans are worse but I've seen Liverpool play both Leeds and Man Utd at Anfield and there was def a bigger police presence for the Leeds game, which I was surprised by as I would have thought there was more hatred between LFC and Utd. I don't like Leeds but I don't hate them. Utd on the other hand...

The police love Leeds. I find this strange though as Leeds, Liverpool and City always play at home the same weekends while Everton and manure play at home on the opposing weekends. Leeds and Liverpool have a good relationship too - it's a very friendly rivalry. That being said every game attracts trouble, very few games in the UK go off without some sort of hassle it's just a lot of it gets brushed under the carpet depending on which teams are involved.

Labour are 3-0 up.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sub430 wrote: »
    you to go home happy safe in the knowledge that you were indeed the 13th man who helped your team win.

I always thought there was something dodgy going on with refs at Highbury / The Emirates ;)

Just saw Nick Griffin on the tele. That guy gives me the creeps. Could you vote for the BNP?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I always thought there was something dodgy going on with refs at Highbury / The Emirates ;)

Am reminded of this... given how much bitching I've seen about refs and Man U over the years!

DNsKU.jpg

Jaysis, it's not often we are out numbered by leeds fans. I am just gonna have to suck it up and accept the manure comments though I know yis are trying to provoke a reaction ;) I am bigger than that though.

Anyway about the whole english football thing. Soccer is the biggest sport in these parts especially amongst the young. It is the sport that the kids played on the streets when I was growing up, even if they trained and played with the local GAA team (as I did) they played soccer on the streets and in the yard a t school. It is natural to support a team and the TV and newsagents were full of programmes and magazines about english football. Plus the history of loads of Irish footballers playing in Ireland, it is only natural that we all picked an Enlgish football team and followed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

it is only natural that we all picked an Enlgish football team and followed them.
    Or when you deliberately, at the age of 8, pick your team based on who will piss your dad off the most :D

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Just saw Nick Griffin on the tele. That guy gives me the creeps. Could you vote for the BNP?

+1 mate, they are racists and bigots pure and simple, check out his appearance on BBC's question time a few months back. He was set up a bit but he show his true nature at the same time (shudder)

Or when you deliberately, at the age of 8, pick your team based on who will piss your dad off the most :D

I did it at 3 to piss off my older brother. He had the upper hand for a good decade but I have had the last laugh. It's great winding him up nowadays about how sh it the scousers are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

The police love Leeds. I find this strange though as Leeds, Liverpool and City always play at home the same weekends while Everton and manure play at home on the opposing weekends. Leeds and Liverpool have a good relationship too - it's a very friendly rivalry. That being said every game attracts trouble, very few games in the UK go off without some sort of hassle it's just a lot of it gets brushed under the carpet depending on which teams are involved.

Yeah, LFC and Leeds have often been "close" ;) (and they thought Bremner was a hard man, hah!)

keegan_bremner_1974.jpg

The UK far right parties all scare me - UKIP, BNP. All a bit sinister

It's Ironic that he now says the Irish are welcome in Britain and part of 'the British culture'. A few years ago he and his mob were not so keen on us paddies even setting foot in their country.
    Absolute scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'd say anything's possible for Leeds fans. :P

I picked my team based on the fact that the brother of a friend of my father played for them. I've been following them (loosely speaking) for 41 years!

Advertisement