Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

you must be a leinster gal :rolleyes:

Yeah I like to try and fool people with the name :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

No HEC Final for the Aviva in 2011 or 2012 :(

Can we please not call it that!

Lansdowne Road it always was, and as far as I'm concerned it always will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Sorry man, but pretty soon people won't even think twice about calling it The Aviva
    All news reports and articles will refer to it as the aviva

Just think about who calls the Arsenal home ground Highbury anymore? It's The Emirates now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

04072511 wrote: »
    Will you even remember that it was once called Lansdowne Road, as you traipse around Brazil -> Uruguay -> Argentina -> Chile -> Peru -> New Zealand -> Melbourne? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

DustyBin wrote: »
    Sorry man, but pretty soon people won't even think twice about calling it The Aviva

Just think about who calls the Arsenal home ground Highbury anymore? It's The Emirates now

Highbury and the Emirates are in two different locations.

Lansdowne Road ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

DustyBin wrote: »

Funny, I had this exact same conversation with someone yesterday. Was amongst the many who were determined to keep calling the new Arsenal stadium "Highbury." I call it the Emirates now though, and everyone I know calls it the Emirates. I'm afraid the same will go for the Aviva. It's a pity they changed their name from Hibernian, though. At least that would have sounded like it had some sort of Irish reference!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yes, but Highbury stadium was in Highbury.
    The Emirates isn't.

Lansdowne Road, on the other hand, is in exactly the same place.

The Emirates, I think, is technically still in Highbuy, it being only a few hundred yards from the old stadium. As it happens, the old stadium wasn't even called Highbury stadium, the official name being Arsenal stadium. The problem with Lansdowne Road is when games start at the new stadium, and tv presenters/newspapers/commentators etc refer to it as Aviva stadium, or the Aviva, or whatever the official name is. Pretty quickly, it will get ingrained in consiousness. Maybe, and hopefully, I'm wrong, but these things tend to pan out this way. Another iconic name to add to Irish sporting pantheons such as Flancare park, Kingspan Breffni Park and Hunky Dorys Park :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Agree......I think, but you don't seem like a person to care about names............ 04072511 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ronanmac wrote: »
    The Emirates, I think, is technically still in Highbuy, it being only a few hundred yards from the old stadium.

No, it's in Holloway now

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    No, it's in Holloway now

I stand corrected!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Sorry! But it will end up being call the Aviva after a while anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

RayCun wrote: »
    No, it's in Holloway now

Ashburton Grove to be more precise :rolleyes:

Supposedly due to rules about corporate sponsorship, for next years UEFA Cup Final (refusing to call it the Europa League ;)) the "Aviva Stadium" will be called the Dublin Arena. Lots of imagination went into that name I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Bell x1 song 'Great Defector' is a great song. no doubt.

but its sooooo like 'Talking Heads'.....its unreal.
    i just cant put my finger on which song it is most like ....any help?

maybe ye're too young to remember talking heads:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Oooh is it like Everythings coming up flowers? Think that's the name of it:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

littlebug wrote: »

thanks. wreckin my head for ages.

talking heads were great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

thanks. wreckin my head for ages.

talking heads were great.

They were. we're showing our age here ;)

Everytime I hear that great defector song I veer off into "and she was".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=2013354182
    This is the song I meant, "Nothing but flowers", the BellXI song always reminds me of this. (And the video has the added extra of the lovely Johnny Marr...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

racheljev wrote: »
    (And the video has the added extra of the lovely Johnny Marr...)

I don't know about "lovely" but Johnny Marr is a genius

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Woohoo flights booked!:D Travelling here I come! Brazil -> Uruguay -> Argentina -> Chile -> Peru -> New Zealand -> Melbourne.:D:D:D

Must find some 10km races for when I settle in Melbourne for awhile.
    There are a ridic amount of runs and swims over here (sydney, but melbourne is the same)
    Swim season was the last few months, runs are spread out, but not over summer (nov-feb). A mate of mine did a marathon last week, they decided to round it up to 45km and throw in a few hills.

Anyway, I'm doing a run in a few weeks. 14km
    I know some here would lash one of those out on a sunday before lunch but its my first run. Anybody have any idea of a target time I should aim/train for?

c.80kg, overweight, just off 5'10"
    Most i've ever ran was 5km or so

Any help, I always do better with a target

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

I don't know about "lovely" but Johnny Marr is a genius

got an album by modest mouse on which he plays. Not to everyones taste but I loved it. The disc is actually stuck in an old hi fi that I disposed of. Been listening to the new National album, it's amazing. Definitely say that Misty Floyd would like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Mellor wrote: »
    c.80kg, overweight, just off 5'10"
    Most i've ever ran was 5km or so

Any help, I always do better with a target

What did you do the 5km in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Bell x1 song 'Great Defector' is a great song. no doubt.

but its sooooo like 'Talking Heads'.....its unreal.
    i just cant put my finger on which song it is most like ....any help?

maybe ye're too young to remember talking heads:confused:

It's on Ray D'arcy radio show right now 10:17am 20.5.10!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

eliwallach wrote: »
    It's on Ray D'arcy radio show right now 10:17am 20.5.10!

Speaking of the Ray D'Arcy show, did anyone listen to Fix it Friday last week? The 'bunny boiler' (as one texter called her) who wants to meet Tommy Bowe is a colleague of mine, she hasn't quite lived it down all week. It's been mentioned twice already this week and I'm sure it'll be on again tomorrow, was good craic last week...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Woohoo flights booked!:D Travelling here I come! Brazil -> Uruguay -> Argentina -> Chile -> Peru -> New Zealand -> Melbourne.:D:D:D

Must find some 10km races for when I settle in Melbourne for awhile.

Just spotted this, if your going through Queenstown in NZ then I know of a series of 5km and 10km races there through the winter that I did a few of last year in between my skiing.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

OI wrote: »
    Been listening to the new National album, it's amazing. Definitely say that Misty Floyd would like it.

Oh I love the National. Heard the new album on Pitchfork a few weeks back. Must go get it.

robinph wrote: »
    Just spotted this, if your going through Queenstown in NZ then I know of a series of 5km and 10km races there through the winter that I did a few of last year in between my skiing.

I'll be in Queenstown probably for only a few days in December (the height of Summer down there). I only have 3.5 weeks in NZ so will probably do the Magic Bus so wouldnt have too much time to being staying in each place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

OI wrote: »
    Been listening to the new National album, it's amazing. Definitely say that Misty Floyd would like it.

I have it OI and I like it. I'd prefare the boxer but I need to hear it a few more times. Any other albums to recommend?

The new Jonsi album (lead singer from Sigur Ros) is good but you need to be in the mood for that kind of thing.

Advertisement