Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The new Jonsi album (lead singer from Sigur Ros) is good but you need to be in the mood for that kind of thing.
    Is it Sigur Ros'ish? I have around 12 Sigur Ros tracks that I think are fantastic, the rest I find a bit 'bleh'.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Ye probably would not like it, but Im loving Marina and the Diamonds album. Im addicted to Track 6, funnily enough called obsessions! :)

Anyone here listen to Patrick Watson? If music were a drug, I would be a junkie, and this would be my regular fix. Probably best described as electronic rock-jazz, with similarities to Pink Floyd and Jeff Buckley. First time I heard the band I thought it was Jeff Buckley.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Just trying to get into new music again at the moment. Since exams finished, I have the headspace now. I would like to check out animal collective and panda bear at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Can anyone tell me what my cousins are to my daughters. Are they 2nd cousins or are they 1st cousins once removed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Woddle wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what my cousins are to my daughters. Are they 2nd cousins or are they 1st cousins once removed?

First cousins once removed. Your cousins children are your daughters second cousins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

On my experience it depends on what part of the country you're in. For those in Dublin, they'd be considered no relation, but those living outside the Pale seem to consider their cousin's cousin to be their "cousin"

...Peckham prepares for a lynching

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

The new Jonsi album (lead singer from Sigur Ros) is good but you need to be in the mood for that kind of thing.

.............and we both know what kind of "Enhanced" mood that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Anyone else loving the little Pacman game that's acting as the Google logo today? :)

Anyone else loving the little Pacman game that's acting as the Google logo today? :)
    Damnit, I was being really productive in work!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I usually refer to my 2nd cousins parents as my Aunt and Uncle. While not officially my Aunt or Uncle it is so much easier just to say "I played golf with my Uncle last week" than "I played golf with my first cousin once removed last week". Saying that usually gets puzzled looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

04072511 wrote: »
    I usually refer to my 2nd cousins parents as my Aunt and Uncle. While not officially my Aunt or Uncle it is so much easier just to say "I played golf with my Uncle last week" than "I played golf with my first cousin once removed last week". Saying that usually gets puzzled looks.

Golf? :confused:

I'll get me coat...;)

I got an emergency call from my mum, to say that there were sirens going off in her laptop and 'little fellas dancing on the screen', and she didn't know what to do. I rushed over to her house expecting her laptop to be virus riddled, only to find pacman on the google homepage and the volume up at full blast. :rolleyes:

The folks over on the cycling forum have a thread going on this already but Id like to know what everybody here thinks about the latest doping scandal in cycling.
    Could this be the real deal? Landis isnt just saying "Yeah Lance is on the juice" he's provided incredibly detailed accounts of doping that took place over a nuumber of years.
    Although you do have to consider the fact that Landis' credibility has been shot to hell coming from years of denials and now all of a sudden, and admission of gulit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

tunguska wrote: »
    The folks over on the cycling forum have a thread going on this already but Id like to know what everybody here thinks about the latest doping scandal in cycling.
    Could this be the real deal? Landis isnt just saying "Yeah Lance is on the juice" he's provided incredibly detailed accounts of doping that took place over a nuumber of years.
    Although you do have to consider the fact that Landis' credibility has been shot to hell coming from years of denials and now all of a sudden, and admission of gulit.

I can see why Landis denied it previously, but what does he have to gain by lying about Lance, Hincapie, Zabriskie et al doping? The change in the story doesn't help him, but, having always been suspicious of Armstrong, I think I want to believe him :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi guys maybe leave this topic in the cycling forum as we've already had a post reported regarding doping allegations. Thanks.

Hi guys maybe leave this topic in the cycling forum as we've already had a post reported regarding doping allegations. Thanks.

No problem boss, I can see where you're coming from, can of worms and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Couldn't resist the temptation in Insomnia - latte and a blueberry muffin €3.50 - sure I'll run it off later :p

Damn you to hell, you've got me thinking about coffee and goodies now. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

My 'treats' over the next two weeks will consist solely of Nature Valley bars and the 'Clancy' fruit & nut mix bag from Aldi

Enjoy your muffin BeepBeep

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I'm still lost... so who shot JR now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I'm still lost... so who shot JR now?

From my taking - everything that happened on the island was real and really happened but that the flash sideways this season was a type of purgatory where they all got the opportunity to meet before they moved on and they set this up by themselves when they set the hydrogen bomb off last season.

In realizing this, it meant they spent the finale explaining a storyline brought in in season 6 which means there was no other reason for them to set off a hydrogen bomb and they spent the finale explaining this new storyline as they knew they couldn't answer the sother storylinew they set up in previous seasons.

Terrible ... just terrble.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What lost me was the not-Locke story.

Here's a guy, brought up on a mysterious island by a crazy woman who tells him there are no other people, there are no other lands. He discovers that she's been lying to him about all this and not only that, she isn't his mother, and not only that, she killed his mother. Understandably miffed, he goes off to live with the other people on the island - his actual relations - and tries to find a way to get off the island.

When it looks like he's going to succeed, crazy woman attacks him, and kills all the people he's been living with. He kills her - okay, that is bad, but understandable in the circumstances - and he is killed himself, and not only killed, but turned into some kind of monster.

Is it any wonder he wants to get off the island? What did he do that was so bad? He rebels against the arbitrary rules imposed on him by crazy people who lied to him and kept him ignorant - and this makes him evil?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I never watched Lost, ever. The only good thing I could think of about lost that Matthew Fox was in it and he is an absolute delight to look at. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

I've never seen a single episode and feel I've missed absolutely nothing.

Blueskye wrote: »
    I've never seen a single episode and feel I've missed absolutely nothing.

I tried watching one episode from the first series and turned it off after about 15 minutes, I thought it was absolute rubbish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

The fact that people that followed it always gave out about it was enough to put me off. I watched the first and last episodes only. This morning at breakfast in work, I was told there were polar bears on the island! What a load of rubbish.

....and a hydrogen bomb!!??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I don't want to go back to work tomorrow :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just been out for a ride on a new racing bike this evening. Didn't go very far, but it was enough to confirm that they are not made for comfort. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

robinph wrote: »
    Just been out for a ride on a new racing bike this evening. Didn't go very far, but it was enough to confirm that they are not made for comfort. :eek:
    You'll get use to it eventually, after walking like John Wayne for some time. You've heard about Jockeys and their neither regions:p

Advertisement