Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

When I got my bike last year I envisaged having buckled wheels from the potholes, so seen as I already had an MTB I opted for a cyclo cross racer which has fatter tyres which can take more a beating on crappy roads but also can take to the trails too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Adnams: The Bitter

For anyone who thinks English beer tastes like the pee, then try this. It's absolutely fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Peckham wrote: »
    Adnams: The Bitter

For anyone who thinks English beer tastes like the pee, then try this. It's absolutely fantastic!
    Linkey no workey. I'm a big fan of Shepard Neame beers, like Spitfire, and Bishop's Finger (€1.90 a bottle in Tescos), oh, and also Newcastle Brown Ale, when I'm roughing it. Right now, I'm afraid to say, I'm drinking Australian. Never send the OH out on a beer run (unless she's reading this!).

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

When I got my bike last year I envisaged having buckled wheels from the potholes, so seen as I already had an MTB I opted for a cyclo cross racer which has fatter tyres which can take more a beating on crappy roads but also can take to the trails too...

+1 big time, and very glad made that decision now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thing is I knew it was there I've cycled the same route every day for three years and I always avoid that spot. There was a car right up my backside though, even though it's a 24 hour bus lane....

The fact the road in that spot has been in such bad condition for at least 3 years annoys me immensely too. :mad: The amount of dodging and weaving I've to do on a 4 mile trip to work is unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Am I the only one here watching Eurovision?

Mrs P goes away on a hen weekend, and I take the opportunity to sit in and watch Eurovision. That doesn't seem right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Shocking stuff, the voting takes so bloody long! Liked the German song though...

Oh hang on, we've just gone ahead of the UK, things are looking up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Peckham wrote: »
    Am I the only one here watching Eurovision?

Mrs P goes away on a hen weekend, and I take the opportunity to sit in and watch Eurovision. That doesn't seem right.

Not at all; I thought Iceland and Armenia were ok, everything else was crap. I thought greece was he worst song but it got in the top 5 yet my two picks did dismally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

I think we'll be paying for sending Dustin for a long time! :pac:

menoscemo wrote: »
    Not at all; I thought Iceland and Armenia were ok, everything else was crap. I thought greece was he worst song but it got in the top 5 yet my two picks did dismally.

The Apricot stone song? :eek:

Rineanna wrote: »
    I think we'll be paying for sending Dustin for a long time! :pac:

The Apricot stone song? :eek:

well, she had nice apricots in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Armenia would have won if it was a contest for best boobs of Eurovision. Thought the winning song was awful, though I know quite a few people who liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

He took my wheel for two weeks, before returning it today untouched, telling me he doesn't do wheel rebuilds any more... Grrr.... :mad:

Very angry clown.

I dont blame you, thats a bit crap leaving you in the lurch for 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I dont blame you, thats a bit crap leaving you in the lurch for 2 weeks
    He offered me a free service etc and was very apologetic, but it still irks. I got some solid advice from the cycling forum though, and have ordered replacement front and rear wheels at a great price, so I'll have a backup set / set for the trainer (if I ever get around to using it!).

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

What one did you go for and where did you get it, SJ? I'm thinking about investing in a bike at some stage, and having been on other peoples' racers, I'm not convinced. And don't even start me on clipless pedals and shoes.

I was dragged to see SATC2 today. Dear Jesus that was bad and long. Did it REALLY have to be that long?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

The school were having an open day this afternoon, had a snoop in the book stall and picked up:
    The Winning Mind - Seb Coe
    Staying the Distance - Ronnie Delany
    The rebel who would be king - Cantona
    The heart of the Game - Jimmy Greaves
    Jack Charlton the Autobiography
    The Wicklow Way - Rucksack Readers
    All for the paltry sum of €2, in fact they were 20c each, but I would have been too embarrased to wait for change with my arms full - plenty of good reading over the coming months so!

If any of you were my brother, what would you want me to buy you for your 30th birthday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

If any of you were my brother, what would you want me to buy you for your 30th birthday?

Something random like take him Zorbing (yes it is a real thing:p) or more personal what kinda things is he into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

ecoli wrote: »
    Something random like take him Zorbing (yes it is a real thing:p) or more personal what kinda things is he into?

On second though scratch that they not open this season yet due to planning permission problems

A book I would actually be interested in. Don't try anyhting fancy, it won't work.

• Advertisement

^ I've got a few books for sale - let you have them for €30 ;)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

I heard about them, I actually have a few of the ones you picked up. I particualarly enjoyed the canona one.

He'd probably read the Cantona one actually he pretends to support the red shi...

He'd probably read the Cantona one actually he pretends to support the red shi...

Who? me or your brother? ;):p

I'm not a manure fan, but I'm a sucker for sports bio's.

Who? me or your brother? ;):p

The brother. I believe in your support of them. Think you might be one of the real ones.
    I'm not a manure fan, but I'm a sucker for sports bio's.

I've have LOADS of footy ones if you're interested in any of the Revie Leeds team ones, Pele, Strachan, Batty, Colin Bell and a few more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

RQ, I've got Peter Risdales book if your interested:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

When I'm spending more than a few quid on a present, I like to buy people an 'event'. A day/night out that they'd enjoy and remember, but it wouldn't have occurred to them to buy themselves, or that they would have written off as too extravagant to spend their own money on. Theatre tickets - cirque du soleil are touring, I think? - or a day of race car driving, or a weekend away...
    Not a thing, but an experience.

gerard65 wrote: »
    RQ, I've got Peter Risdales book if your interested:D

Sadly, so do I. It was a gift and I've never actually opened it. If I ever go camping it'd make a good firestarter I suppose.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Daithi BC wrote: »
    What one did you go for and where did you get it, SJ? I'm thinking about investing in a bike at some stage, and having been on other peoples' racers, I'm not convinced. And don't even start me on clipless pedals and shoes.

I'm pretty sure sj got the same as the one I got last year which was a giant tcx 2, some nice like

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant_tcx_2xl.jpg

Advertisement