Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

MarieC wrote: »
    get to stansted, then easyjet to ljubljana, the capital (i didnt get in to the capital but cousins said it was beautiful).

pricey country to get to, but soooo worth the effort, and its cheap once you get there!

you could price flying to vienna/budapest, get train then to ljubljana. Proper adventure and may be cheaper! :)
    what she said. seems expensive to get to but you spend nothing when you are there - you ll struggle to spend €50 on top class meal with drinks.

Stayed in grand hotel toplice, as a treat really after inter railing other parts of europe, great hotel.

Rent a rowing boat and row over to the island great fun just trying to get to the island in the middle.

seriously bled is worth so much more than you pay for and i guarantee she will thank you for it. even in summer its not over busy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Week is half over, yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Week is half over, yay!

not only does that bring us closer to the weekend, but closer to a long weekend! Woohoo!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Week is half over, yay!

getting excited about heading down to Cork!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

menoscemo wrote: »
    getting excited about heading down to Cork!!

You should be I'm making a cd of all Elviss greatest hits for the journey down :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Woddle wrote: »
    You should be I'm making a cd of all Elviss greatest hits for the journey down :D

Should lead to a little less conversation, make sure you don't get lost in the getto and remember it's now or never.

Just saw on the Cork thread that Mick rice is doing sub 3hr pacer, I will be desperately trying to hold on to his coat tails*
    I hear you ar doing first leg for the B-Team? The Good news is that Ultraman 1 is pacing the 5 hour group. That should give you a good target :p

*for the first 5 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

not only does that bring us closer to the weekend, but closer to a long weekend! Woohoo!!

Second long weekend in a row :D And a full week off as well :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just saw on the Cork thread that Mick rice is doing sub 3hr pacer, I will be desperately trying to hold on to his coat tails*
    I hear you ar doing first leg for the B-Team? The Good news is that Ultraman 1 is pacing the 5 hour group. That should give you a good target :p

*for the first 5 miles

Don't get in a fight before the start line now lads. :D

Picked up the keys for my new gaff today and am now kind of moved in. Well there is me, some beer that isn't black and doesn't take minutes for a pint to settle, a bottle opener, my laptop and best of all some free wifi within range when I'm sat at the kitchen table.

No other furniture until I beg, borrow or steal some off the parents or their friends in the area, no broadband of my own until next week, although Virgin claim to be delivering me a box next Monday but they are also claiming that Iceland has messed up their supplies of routers at the moment so might be weeks yet, and no more than two changes of clothes for another couple of weeks and I move stuff over properly.

I did get out for a run today though to check I could remember how to ready for Cork on Monday. I expect there to be some busty Brazillians waiting for me at the finish line. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

robinph wrote: »
    Don't get in a fight before the start line now lads. :D

Picked up the keys for my new gaff today and am now kind of moved in. Well there is me, some beer that isn't black and doesn't take minutes for a pint to settle, a bottle opener, my laptop and best of all some free wifi within range when I'm sat at the kitchen table.

No other furniture until I beg, borrow or steal some off the parents or their friends in the area, no broadband of my own until next week, although Virgin claim to be delivering me a box next Monday but they are also claiming that Iceland has messed up their supplies of routers at the moment so might be weeks yet, and no more than two changes of clothes for another couple of weeks and I move stuff over properly.

I did get out for a run today though to check I could remember how to ready for Cork on Monday. I expect there to be some busty Brazillians waiting for me at the finish line. :p
    This beer that isn't black, is it brown, flat and warm by any chance? ;)

Only joking, anyway, good luck in the new place ....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

plodder wrote: »
    This beer that isn't black, is it brown, flat and warm by any chance? ;)

Only joking, anyway, good luck in the new place ....

Mmmmm!!! Loverly. :D

You do misunderstand the term "warm" in relation to beer though. It just means, "not with ice about to form in it" in this case, or "at a temperature which you can actually taste the flavour". The reason they put bubbles in the likes of larger and serve it cold is so that you cannot taste how lacking in flavour it is. I'll agree a non-frozen pint of black stuff is just wrong though.

Just a bottle of Fursty Ferret to get me started tonight, but picked up a small set of the massive selection I've to work my way through in the local Tescos, finding a bottle opener was harder than finding the beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,389 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mellor wrote: »

Anyway, I'm doing a run in a few weeks. 14km
    I know some here would lash one of those out on a sunday before lunch but its my first run. Anybody have any idea of a target time I should aim/train for?

c.80kg, overweight, just off 5'10"
    Most i've ever ran was 5km or so

Any help, I always do better with a target
    What did you do the 5km in?

Sorry for the delay, I couldn't find where I posted this.

I do 5km in 25mins on a treadmill, I measured 5km on the road via google maps and it was slightly longer time, but was a big hill involved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Mellor wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay, I couldn't find where I posted this.

I do 5km in 25mins on a treadmill, I measured 5km on the road via google maps and it was slightly longer time, but was a big hill involved

Mapmyrun.com is a useful tool aswell.

My advice would be to go out, do 5km on the roads and jot your time into this http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

That will give you an estimate time for most race distances based on your 5km time. Many here use it as a useful way to set some times. No harm in checking it out anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

One. Day. To. Go....

This is the first full week I've done in work in ages between annual leave, study leave and bank holiday. Bloody hell 5 days back to back is tough!

Anyone else having lots of fun with the 1901 census, so far my family have been in Rathfarnham since 1901, now to try and go back further

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Anyone else having lots of fun with the 1901 census, so far my family have been in Rathfarnham since 1901, now to try and go back further

Yeah, was reading it out over the phone to my father today, he's perplexed at what seems to be a grand-aunt he didn't know existed until now! Finally, a family mystery!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Blow in!:)

Our gaff in Rathfarnham dates from 1798*, with the relevant listing, makes for a royal pain in the ar$e.

*Disclaimer: Might not have lived there since 1798...

Izoard wrote: »
    Blow in!:)

Somewhat true as its only one line the rest are scattered in every corner, Tipp, Clare, Longford, Tyrone....
    The site is fantastic, shame they didn't think to add maiden names back then to make it easier for us now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

My parents are still in the same house my fathers family they lived in in 1901. I'd love to go back further. I believe there was a shop in the house at some point.

Sounds cool, where can I find this census?

• Advertisement

Sounds cool, where can I find this census?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Went for another bike ride this evening. Should have turned round and headed back a lot sooner as I ended up going a good bit further than I really meant to, suppose it's good endurance training though and except for getting run over by a lorry, less chance of injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

I have no holidays to count down to.............:(

He He!!! I'm off to france on Saturday:D:D:D:D That makes it one day and....hey who's counting??

(sorry about that Marie
    );)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Colombia for 2.5 weeks (via a night in Madrid) on Weds - who's jealous then????

There's the small hurdle of exams on Mon / Tues, but whatevs!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

geld wrote: »
    He He!!! I'm off to france on Saturday:D:D:D:D That makes it one day and....hey who's counting??

(sorry about that Marie
    );)

Thats just mean Geld! Mean!! I could wish you bad stuff but Im just too nice a person to do that!
    Have a lovely time on holidays, Im really happy for you :mad:

*meanwhile MarieC's alter-ego goes off to the voodoo doll of icelandic volcanoes and starts huffing and puffing*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Savage day for a run ... but i already went for a spin ... hmmmm ..... maybe il wait another hour or two and then go:pac:

For those stuck in the office this game is pretty cool
    Akinator the Genius
    Just found it over in AH. Think of any person real or not and he will guess who it is after a few questions. I was amazed when it Got Peter Canavan (Ex Tyrone captain)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

The misery of being stuck in an office on a day as fine as this has just been lessened, my boss bought me an ice cream.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

For those stuck in the office this game is pretty cool
    Akinator the Genius
    Just found it over in AH. Think of any person real or not and he will guess who it is after a few questions. I was amazed when it Got Peter Canavan (Ex Tyrone captain)
    Could'nt get Eamon Coughlan:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It got Paula Radcliffe and Harvey Milk for me, but really struggled with Bruce Dickinson. Fun way to waste a few minutes/hours :)

Advertisement