Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's abour right I think.

Cheers, you've just some poor customer support guy a long afternoon !

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

PhD is over since march and Im still grinding my teeth in my sleep!

back to wearing my sexy gouthguard when I go to bed!:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

robinph is scared of going for a training session tonight where the email I got about their sessions from the club contained sums like this, including some strange algebra I've not come across before:

10 x 400
    1900m, rec 350m slow jog, 1300m, rec 350m slow jog, 600m (eyeballs out!), 200m slow jog, 1300m - at 70% effort
    4x1m

Do I have to do these calculations in my head as we are jogging around, or am I allowed to work out the answers before hand and write them on the back of my hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Don't drink this people - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_%28alcohol%29. I'm a pure lightweight. 3 pints of Guinness would have me half cut under normal circumstances so some of this, alongside a nagan of vodka, some kopperburg and sambuca. I got up and said id head to the pool and sauna in the gym to shake the cobwebs off. Needless to say i got to town, ended up in the bagel factory for a nice old peanut butter and banana bagel and now am leaving this internet cafe and getting coffee and going home to bed. I feel like death. I want to crawl up and die (with lots of starchy carbs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

ULstudent wrote: »
    It's clearly printed on the label '95% Alc. per Vol', what did you expect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Just spent 153 euro on 2 school tracksuits, 2 jumpers, 1 cardigan and 2 ties for kids going back to school - already spent ??? on pinafores, skirts, trousers, shirts, shoes etc. And followed that up with 208 euro on schoolbooks.ie for books for 5th class, 2nd class and junior infants. Will also have to pay for speech & drama, insurance, photocopying, arts & crafts, which will come to around 150 euro for the 3 of them. Free education??? I don't think so... (Excuse the rant, just saw my 4 yr old baba in her uniform for the first time and if I don't rant, I'll blub...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Great thread over in the Gentlemens club about your favourite tool(behave yourselves ok).........

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055967350

Very funny stuff, but also very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

ULstudent wrote: »
    In 1979, the Guinness Book of World Records listed 190-proof Everclear as “the most alcoholic drink.” Guinness has since banned all alcohol-related entries from the book.

...but it was okay for an alcohol company to publish the book!

gerard65 wrote: »
    It's clearly printed on the label '95% Alc. per Vol', what did you expect?

1. To become a faster runner
    2.Gain super human abilities
    3. Have MarieC deliver cake all this cake she's been threading about.

I never realized how strong it was until after we did a shot of it - that will learn me to take alcohol of conspiring friends.

It's all good now though - my trusty george foreman has made me a toasted pudding and mushroom sandwich.

I feel much better now with yet again more food in me ... or maybe im still drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

<Geographical Pedantry>Whatever about former Kenyans and Ethopians competing in the European Athletics Championships, why are Azerbaijan represented? I know they're in the European soccer qualifiers as well, but it's clearly an Asian country.</Geographical Pedantry>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Azerbaijan is in Europe.

To me, it's east of the Urals, and that means it's in Asia, along with Armenia and Georgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Daithi BC wrote: »
    To me, it's east of the Urals, and that means it's in Asia, along with Armenia and Georgia.

It's definitely west of the Urals. It's considered to be part of Europe by most pedantic geographers. :D

I must be even more pedantic than them. I must bring up a motion at the next annual Pedantic Geographers Association meeting to clarify exactly where the border is.

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/asia/azerbaijan/ says that: "Azerbaijan is in South-western Asia, bordering the Caspian Sea, between Iran and Russia, with a small European portion north of the Caucasus range", so looks like it gets in under the Turkey (5% of landmass in Europe therefore it's in Europe) rule. Kind of like the granny rule in soccer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Daithi BC wrote: »
    I must be even more pedantic than them. I must bring up a motion at the next annual Pedantic Geographers Association meeting to clarify exactly where the border is.

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/asia/azerbaijan/ says that: "Azerbaijan is in South-western Asia, bordering the Caspian Sea, between Iran and Russia, with a small European portion north of the Caucasus range", so looks like it gets in under the Turkey (5% of landmass in Europe therefore it's in Europe) rule. Kind of like the granny rule in soccer.

But doesn't Israel gets into Eurovision on much less than Turkeys 5% of landmass qualification. What percentage of landmass does Russia have in Europe, area is clearly more than anywhere else in Europe, but %'age wise they are mostly in Asia too.

Israel get into the Eurovision because they're members of the EBU (the European Broadcasting Union), along with Egypt and Morocco (though they have more sense than to enter). Not sure why Israel are in UEFA though. Probably more hassle than it's worth to have them playing Syria, Iran, Iraq and so on.

Holy sh1t, Kerry were beaten! Dubs up next, Come on ye boys in blue...

Woohoo! Up the Dubs. All together now - come on you boys in blue....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bahahaha, Tyrone - how do you like THOSE apples? :pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Great result for the Dubs, all the ABD's can skulk off till the next day:D
    Had to laugh at brollys face in the studio, look like someone had farted.
    Now Derval can finish off the day nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

That was the sweetist. After so many years of disappointing ends to the championship and to finally beat a top 3 team in the summer. Yes!!!!!!! Very proud.

Neck is in bits after Iron Maiden, am I getting old? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 3D2S

Go on the Dubs. At last!!!! Hope to get a chance to beat Meath and it will be a sweet season.

Fair play to Derval, she ran at her absolute best, and got the medal she deserved to round off a great day.

Gillick needs to look at how she approaches finals, forget nerves, just go for it!

In general the Irish Athletic team seems to have a huge amount of work to do. They need to get way more professional, like the Brits, if we are to give our athletes the chance they deserve.

Today is apparently Lisa Simpson's wedding day.

tumblr_l6g2qcu27I1qzpwi0o1_500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 athlete123

Today is apparently Lisa Simpson's wedding day.

tumblr_l6g2qcu27I1qzpwi0o1_500.jpg

Anyone wonder if this had any influence on the scheduling of Chelsea Clintons wedding today??:D;)

pyzamicecube.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Dammit!! Wouldve gone to this only for a severe lack of fundage. Did they play Phantom of the opera? Actually dont answer that.......

Anyone here more knowledgeable when it comes to bikes have a 5 min to spare to help me over PM/Phone witha query?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'd know a bit if you want to pm, but cycling forum guys are very helpful in general..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

My ears are still ringing from an Iron Maiden concert 10 years ago, so maybe it's just the sound... ;)

Advertisement