Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

So that's 3 jobs and counting now that i would have loved but got rejected. Two in Dublin and 1 in Galway... FML

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ULstudent wrote: »
    So that's 3 jobs and counting now that i would have loved but got rejected. Two in Dublin and 1 in Galway... FML

Gyms? They're very hard to get work in. Do you have personal training? It might be worth making up a little portfolio of people you've worked with and what you've prescribed for them and how successful it's been etc.. I did that when I was doing it. It's not something they ever get presented to them at interviews but it shows them you know your stuff and that you're interested in your clients etc. The fitness industry in this country needs a major overhaul, 98% of fitness instructors don't take their job seriously.

I'd love to open my own gym, it'd be run completely differently to the way the majority of other gyms here are, I'd expect a lot more from my staff than standing around with the arms folded...

Gyms? They're very hard to get work in. Do you have personal training? It might be worth making up a little portfolio of people you've worked with and what you've prescribed for them and how successful it's been etc.. I did that when I was doing it. It's not something they ever get presented to them at interviews but it shows them you know your stuff and that you're interested in your clients etc. The fitness industry in this country needs a major overhaul, 98% of fitness instructors don't take their job seriously.

I'd love to open my own gym, it'd be run completely differently to the way the majority of other gyms here are, I'd expect a lot more from my staff than standing around with the arms folded...

That's a really good idea re. the portfolio.
    Don't have personnel training. I was hoping i could stay away from it - simply because it's not an area that im sure i would like to get into but it seems like il need it if i want to get in somewhere.

I love the freelancing and the moneys good in it but its not a full time job unless you get **** loads of classes.

the fitness industry here is a mess, really is and instructors are been churned out like no tomorrow. the courses imho should have some sort of interview as part of the application. I mean some of the people in my course had never exercised a day in their lifes, had no idea what sensible eating entailed and couldnt even use gym machines or free weights. and then these people are supposed to be trusted with client care and advise? C'mon ffs!!

The gym i do most of my freelance classes in - the instructers, bar for one or two, look like they have been sedated with elephant tranquilizer and then when some person who is new comes over and asks for advice, you'd swear you were asking them to fly or something.

Its a case of hand over the 2500e and here's your qualification :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭plodder

Diesel sneakers are not for running. They're good for ... umm.... kicking ass apparently :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9CZKjNd4hM&fmt=18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I also got knocked back for a night time job I applied for, maybe the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

the fitness industry here is a mess, really is and instructors are been churned out like no tomorrow. the courses imho should have some sort of interview as part of the application. I mean some of the people in my course had never exercised a day in their lifes, had no idea what sensible eating entailed and couldnt even use gym machines or free weights. and then these people are supposed to be trusted with client care and advise? C'mon ffs!!

The gym i do most of my freelance classes in - the instructers, bar for one or two, look like they have been sedated with elephant tranquilizer and then when some person who is new comes over and asks for advice, you'd swear you were asking them to fly or something.

Its a case of hand over the 2500e and here's your qualification :rolleyes:

To put another side, I was engaged in the gym business (albeit briefly) in Waterford last year. One of my two instructors was well-qualified, enthusiastic and hard-working as well as having a good business head on her. She was being paid little more than the minimum wage.

I also got to see in action other instructors, equally proficient, at our other gym on the other side of town. In addition we took on a couple of newly-qualified work placement students who were smart and eager to share their knowledge with members.

Just to show that there's good and bad and that they are being paid pretty much peanuts.

RoyMcC wrote: »
    To put another side, I was engaged in the gym business (albeit briefly) in Waterford last year. One of my two instructors was well-qualified, enthusiastic and hard-working as well as having a good business head on her. She was being paid little more than the minimum wage.

I also got to see in action other instructors, equally proficient, at our other gym on the other side of town. In addition we took on a couple of newly-qualified work placement students who were smart and eager to share their knowledge with members.

Just to show that there's good and bad and that they are being paid pretty much peanuts.

Im well aware - im lucky enough to be friendly with 3 fantastic people in the business which is why i got the freelance work i did in the first place as the amount of CVs looking for the same classes were unreal.

It's just a pity that they are outweighed by the number of not so good instructors - and yeah - they money is peanuts (grand for me as back at home at the mo but for anyone who has a house/car/family - not so much)

Run Fatboy Run is on :cool: If you're running your first marathon this year, I do not advise you to watch this!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Not running Rathfarnham so attempting a Lord Lucan with a bottle of Chardonnay and a packet of Walkers Thai Chilli Crisps!

P.S. How hot was Kylie on the Paul O'Grady show :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Run Fatboy Run is on :cool: If you're running your first marathon this year, I do not advise you to watch this!

Yes, he should have posted in this thread and got told a bit of sense. Respect though for his blazing first mile, sub 4:30 for a fat beginner, not bad...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ever get those days where you are just hungry no matter how much you eat?

There's at least two movies on this weekend with running in them. Why is tv torturing me like this? It's meant to be my friend? :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ever get those days where you are just hungry no matter how much you eat?

Only on weekdays. oh, and weekends.

copacetic wrote: »
    Only on weekdays. oh, and weekends.

Well i think iv been having it for the last 2 weeks!

On my run today, about .5m from home there were 2 knackery kids. One started waving a bottle of lucozade sport on my face. As i ran on, the other shouted 'nice shoes'.

Go on the lunar glides! Better than nice. Kid had good taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My little sis needed to borrow some running shoes from me (we are the same size) for something her football team were doing a few weeks ago - she picked my Lunarglides, saying "y'know, they look a whole lot less gimpy than everything else there". :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just ran the slowest leg for the clubs A team in a 6x6km relay today. But it was still good enough to get the team to qualify for the UK National Relays next month where hopefully there will be enough faster people bother themselves to turn up for the club and I can not bother running and shaming myself. :D

Were thay lunarglides in the pic you put up on your log? Liking the colour... where did you get them? Bit Jealous cause all I can find are the manky dark grey/fluorescent green ones.

Do I sound a bit gay? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Browsing photos I took at the adventure race in Glenmalure today. I was at the top of a hill. A mighty day. Cold standing around though.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Were thay lunarglides in the pic you put up on your log? Liking the colour... where did you get them? Bit Jealous cause all I can find are the manky dark grey/fluorescent green ones.

Do I sound a bit gay? :o

Yup - they were me lunarglides. Got them in lifestyle while tey had the 25% of all footwear.

and no, you don't sound gay but i hear that xebec was passing it out after the half when ye went for drinks.

Don't worry though - im not the contagious type.

Best program on tv since the sopranos starts back tonight in the US, Dexter, can't wait to watch it in the morn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

My six-year old daughter is shouting from the bath downstairs, having spiked her hair with bubble bath- "Look at me, I'm a Jedward!"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Awesome, seen loads of posters about for Dexter but they seemed to be advertising series 4 or something.

robinph wrote: »
    Awesome, seen loads of posters about for Dexter but they seemed to be advertising series 4 or something.

Yep season 4 the last one with John Lethigo(spelling?) was just class, the finale was just so unexpected.

Just won two free tickets to the Optimum Nutrition 4 Sport Nutrition Seminar. :cool:

All offers/favours from anyone who wants to accompany me will be considered!

Just won two free tickets to the Optimum Nutrition 4 Sport Nutrition Seminar. :cool:

All offers/favours from anyone who wants to accompany me will be considered!

I'll give you back your gigantic chocolate bar from the half. You will then be able to practise the opposite of what they tell you to do at the seminar :pac:

I ****ing love dexter - on season 4 at the mo. Now i have an excuse to stay up all hours th finish the last 4 eps. yay!

Correction, it's season 5.

Woddle wrote: »
    Correction, it's season 5.

Did you catch the premiere? I still have not got to finish season 4. It's eating at me like worms - 2 eps left though.

I killed 2 mice in the last 3 days in my kitchen - made me feel like dexter.

On a different note - came accross this on the Fitness forum supps thread. ANyone fancy giving it a try and reporting back?!

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/body_and_soul/article4539000.ece

Did you catch the premiere? I still have not got to finish season 4. It's eating at me like worms - 2 eps left though.

I killed 2 mice in the last 3 days in my kitchen - made me feel like dexter.

Watched the first episode yesterday, tis a good one.
    Season 4 finale is probably the best dexter episode so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Started watching 'An Idiot Abroad' on Sky Player - very funny and a different slant on your usual travel programs.
    For anyone with Sky+ Eps 1 is available until this evening - think it's on Thurs around 9pm.

Advertisement