Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I like the idea of the personal reader all right. And I'm definitely a bit irritable and less tolerant of unwarranted randomness in specific posts with my post marathon tiredness - normal service next week!

Boards.ie is a great business model all the same, maybe it could only work in Ireland or maybe the oul interweb has unlocked in a very visible way all the positive volunteerism that was latent out there and just had no outlet before da internet.

If the likes of Concern or Goal or any of the big charities could find a viable way to get folk to volunteer from the comfort of their laptops they might find there are many many folk who would be willing to help in that way than are happy to leave their homes to help. Let's face it, having to leave your house to help does take effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Had to spend 2 hours with a group of tteens today talking to them about the idea of fitness assesments etc. Long story short - got 2 jobs out of it. One for 6 weeks and another on weekends.

Spending 7.5hrs ina metabolic suites lab tomorrow and have to fast for 12 hours beforehand. Iv been fasting since 8 this evening. Im already hungry. How will i last! Im off to knaw on my arm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

ULstudent wrote: »
    Spending 7.5hrs ina metabolic suites lab tomorrow and have to fast for 12 hours beforehand. Iv been fasting since 8 this evening. Im already hungry. How will i last! Im off to knaw on my arm

Hey UL. What's that?

Fasting since 8 this evening? Hang in there mate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Recorded the 'extended highlights' of the marathon on setanta this evening and was looking forward to watching it after training. It was the same one they showed on Monday evening, not the advertised 'extended' version.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

gerard65 wrote: »
    Recorded the 'extended highlights' of the marathon on setanta this evening and was looking forward to watching it after training. It was the same one they showed on Monday evening, not the advertised 'extended' version.:(
    Listed for 10am Saturday on their site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I hate ryanair. Going to Barca to see a match and I wanted to fly aer lingus but let mrs a talk me into the cheaper ryanair alternative. Due to take off at 20:40 still sitting at the gate and departure now estimated at 23:25. It'll be close on 3am when we land and not so much as an explanation or apology.

Never, ever, ever again. Most punctual airline my backside

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

I hate ryanair. Going to Barca to see a match and I wanted to fly aer lingus but let mrs a talk me into the cheaper ryanair alternative. Due to take off at 20:40 still sitting at the gate and departure now estimated at 23:25. It'll be close on 3am when we land and not so much as an explanation or apology.

Never, ever, ever again. Most punctual airline my backside

Barca V Seville? I'm going to Barcelona this weekend too. Don't arrive until tomorrow. Had bought tickets to the match for Sunday night. They then moved the game forward to Saturday night. Our flight lands 21.45, game kicks off 22.00. Looks like I'm down 115 euro.

Jesus looks like an unlucky weekend all round! We bought through an agency and I think they were €80 each but we were warned kickoff could change so I didn't book flights till it was conf.

Are you over on hols or just for the match?

Holidays. Barcelona for a few days, followed by Lanzarote for a week. Will keep an eye out for you in Barca.

Don't think Mrs Peckham was particularly disappointed by the change in kick-off time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

So no nice trumpet sound when you land - hope you get to sit together.

• Advertisement

Boarding now :). I'll stick that trumpet up olearys ....!

Mrs P obviously isn't one of the faithful! I've my 9 yr old with me and we fly home Sunday at 8 am so think we'll miss each other this time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's probably the fault of the French and the plane could have been stuck at a petrol station in Paris half the day.

robinph wrote: »
    It's probably the fault of the French

Spoken like a true English man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

robinph wrote: »
    It's probably the fault of the French and the plane could have been stuck at a petrol station in Paris half the day.
    Peckham wrote: »
    Spoken like a true English man

Probably not far off though... My flight back from London today was delayed as the plane was late getting in from CDG.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Every plane is late from CDG!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Told you it was the French.

It was the French. I still blame o'leary though.

Peckham, dunno if you'll see this but you should def do the nou camp stadium tour, wasted a couple of hours up there today and well worth the trip

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Went to chi-running course yesterday. Only natural midfoot striker in the group.

Irish running legend praises RQ. RQ is great. :cool:

These bloody fireworks are doing my head in. Bloody dogs are going insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Is the Chi Running course worth doing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Um well. I wouldn't say it's not worth doing. It's certainly very beneficial, especially if you're a heel striker or have a very uncomfortable gait. It's quite pricey though. Not entirely sure it's worth that money. It's definitely a good course and I would recommend it. The price is what originally put me off, doing the course did nothing to convince me that it was worth that money.

The lunch that they provide is nice though. I'd a nice ham salad. :pac: and there were four boardsies there so it was nice to have familiar faces around while someone is criticising how you run, or, in my case being told you can't lead the group while out on the run and being sent back to the middle of the pack to run there. :(

• Advertisement

Um well. I wouldn't say it's not worth doing. It's certainly very beneficial, especially if you're a heel striker or have a very uncomfortable gait.
    As a one-woman shoe destruction machine, this might actually be a good idea for me :eek:

Dangerously close to being on topic for an off topic thread...

The Chi Running book might be a useful taster to see if it's worth doing a course, it covers the postures & stuff. Changing your gait is risky enough though, takes a very, very long time to re-learn how to run. I was chatting to a woman selling Vibram 5 Fingers (barefoot running shoes and you need to mid strike when wearing them) and she reckoned that it would be a year before I was running at equivalent pace. You'd need to have a really good reason for wanting to change...

Anyway, back OT :)

Barca vs Sevilla last night, 2 from Messi, 2 from Villa and a nifty, sneaky volleyed goal from the right back who was lurking on teh penalty spot and was the furthest Barca player forward at the time :eek: Talk about Total Football & every player worked so hard (Messi chasing down a back pass in the 80th minute when Barca were 4-0 up against 10 men for example) and they were just sooooo good. It's going to make watching LFC labour against Bolton very hard to watch...

The finish for Villa's first goal last night was just sublime. Barca on form are absolutely incredible to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

Irish running legend praises RQ. RQ is great. :cool:
    Some things are priceless...

but in answer to RK, there's no magic formula. No matter how much or how little you pay, you still have to put the work in yourself, every time you run. You could get anyone to video you, however that anyone is unlikely to have won 3 big city marathons, in times that would win a lot of races today. It's the price of 1 1/2 pairs of shoes, or 3 visits to the physio.
    Oh, it was my second time doing it - I'm a slow learner....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

aero2k wrote: »
    however that anyone is unlikely to have won 3 big city marathons, in times that would win a lot of races today.
    Oh, would that be the same person I finished quicker than, in a race in August?

<krusty takes pride in the smallest most meaningless victory ever>

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just watched the extended Dublin Marathon coverage, from Setanta. Great footage from christieb and Peckham with the headcams. Well done lads! A good 30 second snippet of Thomas (filmed by Peckham) trying to jazz up the crowds around Nassau Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

Oh, would that be the same person I finished quicker than, in a race in August?

<krusty takes pride in the smallest most meaningless victory ever>
    If you're not careful I'll tell you about the time I beat the Tour de France winner.....
    Just watched the extended Dublin Marathon coverage, from Setanta.
    Anyone know if this is going to be repeated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

aero2k wrote: »

Anyone know if this is going to be repeated?

I think it is tomorrow @ 1630, check the site to be sure (to be sure). I actually still haven't seen it yet, I'll catch it recorded tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

wednesday @4:30 setanta ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Just watched the extended Dublin Marathon coverage, from Setanta. Great footage from christieb and Peckham with the headcams. Well done lads! A good 30 second snippet of Thomas (filmed by Peckham) trying to jazz up the crowds around Nassau Street.

And right now I really hate the fact that I don't have Setanta on my box. :mad:

Advertisement