Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

christeb wrote: »
    I think it is tomorrow @ 1630, check the site to be sure (to be sure). I actually still haven't seen it yet, I'll catch it recorded tomorrow
    Your name and Peckham's name are repeated many many times! You're celebs!

They did describe the 3:30 pacers as 'very average 3:30 runners', which was meant as a compliment (I think they meant to say 'consistent 3:30 runners!), but came out completely wrong (they should've proof-read the script!).

The finish line footage was top notch and really captured the atmosphere on the day. I'll keep the copy that's recorded on my PVR, just in case someone else doesn't manage to capture it in a more useful format.

Ryan Hall's Garmin Connect page. Fascinating. His easy runs are easier than my easy runs. You can learn a lot by snooping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Wow, thats interesting. I just looked at his Boston marathon. Took him over 30mins to realise the Garmin was still running after finishing in 2:08:41........Amateur :rolleyes:

Wow, thats interesting. I just looked at his Boston marathon. Took him over 30mins to realise the Garmin was still running after finishing in 2:08:41........Amateur :rolleyes:

26.55 miles on his Forerunner 110. Someone should let the organizers know that the course is long. :rolleyes: Garmin wouldn't even stump up for a proper watch? Cheap Feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

:DI have it sussed - krusty is Garmin bashing the last few days - see above - see Garmin thread where he recommends Timex - Why?

I'll tell you why. He's just gone and got a job which involves transatlantic travel, with who? TIMEX, I'll bet ya!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I reckon his account's been hacked.

Macanri wrote: »
    I'll tell you why. He's just gone and got a job which involves transatlantic travel, with who? TIMEX, I'll bet ya!! :p
    Well, it is the TIMEX NYC marathon. How the hell do you think I can afford those flights on my salary?

Times support thread being created in 3....2.....1.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

i knew it. he (kc) has somehow infected all our garmins.
    they will self destruct just in time for the xmas market.

i knew it. he (kc) has somehow infected all our garmins.
    they will self destruct just in time for the xmas market.
    I've also made all of your recorded paces 10% quicker, so you're good and eager too. Don't get trampled in the rush to jump ship. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Dublin Marathon is on the republic of telly after the break on rte2, bound to be some sort of p!ss take

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

...wondering if the Arsenal fans applauded Eduardo's goal last night....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I could post on the cycling forum but I'm sure it's been done to death..

"You're an idiot" "No, you're an idiot" gist of exchange between me cyclist and other person driver earlier at lunchtime. I'm cycling along my cycle lane, he's driving in his driving lane. He indicates left, in fairness looks in his mirror, sees me cycling along, turns left into my path, I brake heavily, follow him around the corner, call him an idiot, he calls me an idiot, we both go on way with pulses and adrenaline levels needlessly raised.

The RSA rules of the road are slightly vague on this but I (obviously) like this line;

"Take care not to swing wide when you turn and always give way to pedestrians and cyclists crossing the junction before you start any turn"

However it also says;

"
    Turning left from a major road to a minor road
    • Check your mirrors well in advance for traffic following behind you.
    • Give a left-turn signal and slow down.
    • Keep as close as you safely can to the left-hand edge of the road, using your mirrors to watch for cyclists or motorcyclists coming up on your left.
    • Watch for flashing amber arrows that allow you to proceed to the left if no traffic is approaching from the right.
    • Where possible, leave room for other vehicles to pass on the right.
    • Make the turn, keeping close to the left-hand edge.
    • Do not hit or mount the kerb. "
    Slightly ambiguous here. I presume if I posted in the cycling forum I'd be right but I'm not so sure about the driving forum response :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

I don't think it's ambiguous at all. The cyclist has right of way. If a motorist has problems understanding that, tell them to imagine the same situation with two cars - ie. one overtaking another and then suddenly cutting left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Yeah, that's why I called him an idiot:)

However, he was equally vehement I was the idiot as he had indicated. So I thought I'd check. ho hum, at the end of the day his 1 ton box of steel is always going to win any argument against my Dublin Bike.

I will consider printing out that section of the RSA rules of the road to present to the next driver who calls me an idiot for having the cheek to try and proceed along my cycle lane whilst he urgently needs to turn left on top of me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Indicators are indications of you intention to do something.

They are not a right to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Peterx wrote: »
    However, he was equally vehement I was the idiot as he had indicated. So I thought I'd check. ho hum, at the end of the day his 1 ton box of steel is always going to win any argument against my Dublin Bike.

Very true, you'll never come out on top in that argument...
    Peterx wrote: »
    I will consider printing out that section of the RSA rules of the road to present to the next driver who calls me an idiot for having the cheek to try and proceed along my cycle lane whilst he urgently needs to turn left on top of me.

My reading on what you posted above is slightly different... If he was ahead of you and slowing - which meant you were catching up - to turn then he was in the right. The vehicle (motor or otherwise) coming from behind must leave sufficient stopping distance to that in front and is responsible for not running into that in front. The reference to giving way to cyclists in the passage you quoted above is to do with the road that the driver is turning into, not to those cyclists on the main road...

If he came flying up beside you and tried to turn then I guess things are different, but I still wouldn't like to get into the argument! Saw a guy knocked off his bike on the quays a few months ago in exactly this situation, luckily he wasn't going too fast and seemed to avoid injury.

Anyways, not looking for an argument, just posting an alternative point of view cos I'm a grumpy bastard :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Something very similar happened me a few months back.

I ended up running into the back of the car and the driver called the Guards as his tail light was broken.

The Guard said that if the car travels across the path of the cyclist then the driver of the car is in the wrong. So basically if the car turns into you then the car is in the wrong. If you are cycling and you turn into the car, then that's your fault.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

plodder wrote: »
    I don't think it's ambiguous at all. The cyclist has right of way. If a motorist has problems understanding that, tell them to imagine the same situation with two cars - ie. one overtaking another and then suddenly cutting left.

This is the way I see it. Happens to me at least once on each journey. I generally spend my whole commute with my hands on both brakes ready to pull.

A lot of motorists really need to learn how roundabouts work too, if a car was on a roundabout 3 metres away from you, you do NOT come onto the roundabout. The amount of times I've had to jam on my brakes to stop myself going into the back of cars coming onto the roundabout when they shouldn't is unreal.

That being said, the things other cyclists do really astounds me sometimes. They've caused me as much danger at times as motorists do.

Motorists aren't all bad either, there's been a few times when I've been stuck behind a slow cyclist on a busy road and a car will pull up to allow me to overtake the slowmo.
    xebec wrote: »
    Anyways, not looking for an argument, just posting an alternative point of view cos I'm a grumpy bastard :pac:

Proud of myself for resisting making a sarcy comment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Was at a traditional Peruvian dance show in Cusco tonight and for the last song one of the female dancers came down to the audience and dragged me up on stage. Certainly wasnt dressed for the occasion, sporting a pair of runners and shorts, and hadnt a clue what I was supposed to do. The locals in the audience were in stitches. Mortifying. Lesson learnt, do not sit in the front row! Good oul craic though to be fair.

I tell ya dancing at altitude is so much more draining than dancing at sea level :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Great to see newcastle win and even better to see arsense whinging as usual,very funny :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Apologies if this comes across as gloating or big headed :)

One of the reasons I've had a low profile recently is that I've been busting a gut at work, I'm self employed and it can be shaky at times! But over the last six months I have been worming my way into a US client (home plant of an Irish client) and I have just got off the phone with approval for a trip to thier HQ to install my systems :D. Baby slices of work for now but hopefully lots in the future and a paid trip to NYC at the start of Dec to do my Xmas shopping, happy, happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Wenger you sly old dog!! Just read about him having a mistress(I know Im about a week behind everybody else for this news). He would be the last person I would ever imagine would be doing the mucky on his missus. He has simultaneoulsy risen and dropped in my estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

a paid trip to NYC at the start of Dec to do my Xmas shopping, happy, happy days!

You can bring me back:

1. Those tootsie roll chewie sweets and
    2. Lots of Ghirardelli dark chocolate.

Regards.

On another note - http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-11/future-chocolate-will-be-rare-delicacy-analysts-say :mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I nearly pi$$ed myself laughing at this. Don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

1st day im really feeling back to myself again. Wave of nausea (sp?) came over me in town on Monday when i was having some food and had to run to the toilet and projectile vomited. Got home and got sick a second time. Felt okay apart from woozy. Conked for a few hours, woke up and felt a bit better and demolished 3 bowls too many of that oats&more cereal. Sugar rush hit was great. I had been with kids for 2 hours previous, well teens, and they were all snotty and sickly so i am blaming them ...

kids - pfft (apart from boardsies kids that is).

In the new year im gonna have to spend more time with these kids talking about anatomy and nutrition. To think i considered secondary teaching as my future profession, id be jailed for beating up annoying kids :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

ULstudent wrote: »
    1st day im really feeling back to myself again. Wave of nausea (sp?) came over me in town on Monday when i was having some food and had to run to the toilet and projectile vomited. Got home and got sick a second time. Felt okay apart from woozy. Conked for a few hours, woke up and felt a bit better and demolished 3 bowls too many of that oats&more cereal. Sugar rush hit was great. I had been with kids for 2 hours previous, well teens, and they were all snotty and sickly so i am blaming them ...

kids - pfft (apart from boardsies kids that is).

In the new year im gonna have to spend more time with these kids talking about anatomy and nutrition. To think i considered secondary teaching as my future profession, id be jailed for beating up annoying kids :pac:

When studying for his Masters a mate of mine had a part time job teaching anatomy to trainee nurses. Now if I was going to write my ideal job description that sounds like a fine place to start...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

On the topic of kids, the baby won't stop crawling, going to have to move my running corner, if she's not licking my runners she's licking my HR strap, I don't know which is worse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Was supposed to be doing the second race in a series of XC races this weekend...

It has been cancelled though because the local farmer has refused to move his cows to graze somewhere else for this years race. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

robinph wrote: »
    Was supposed to be doing the second race in a series of XC races this weekend...

It has been cancelled though because the local farmer has refused to move his cows to graze somewhere else for this years race. :mad:
    Move them yourselves, lad, you southern wuss:D

Advertisement